US Election 2020

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: US Election 2020

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 pm

:lol: I was asking around at school yesterday if anyone had voted, and some poor girl said she had been turned away because she was missing something or other. I asked if she was registered and she said yes it was extra credit in her history class. :sigh:

Hopefully she goes back and this time tells them to fuck off. Of course she may have been lying to avoid looking bad.

BTW no one had! Young people man, I told you not to count on them.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I remember how it was when I was young... when I turned 18, first thing I did was to get my voter's card, then I voted, then the new president proceeded to fuck the country up the arse, and I got disgusted with all politicos and stopped voting since I could not get anybody worthy into office anyway. Then I became a civil servant and came to regard voting as a duty.. . of course, since damn few canidates are worthy, I often vote for folk who are doomed to lose, or vote blank or null if there are really none I can even vaguly settle on, which is more often than I like.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Tero wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:46 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:29 pm
Tero wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Texas is a big state. With voter suppression across the state they can beat a Democrat. I think Cruz will last 6 years and be gone. With a Democrat winning, that would piss off Republicans to hang on to seats in house 2022. But still, state is going Latino. Make babies!
You mean the Democrat voter fraud rings that were created to stuff the ballot boxes? https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 20740.html
Gerrymandering, Seattle groups dostracting Democrats with mailers to vote for ”different Drmocrats” and all the voter ID tricks. It’s bordering on illegal what Republicans do. Not to mention Russian Trolls.
What Democrats do is well over the border into illegal, example, the link above, where the fraud groups were indicted. You're complaining about a mailer that suggests voters should "write in" another candidate? That's the "bordering on illegal" thing you object to? Dude, you're allowed to send mailers suggesting voters vote for whomever you want - yourself, Mickey Mouse, Donald Drumpf, My Balls -- it's called "freedom of expression." I know your side thinks that's a quaint, antiquated relic of a bygone era, but dude - if you're crying about some folks mailing notes to people that say "vote for Pakoota" because your voting base is so retarded that they might actually "vote for Pakoota", well, you've got bigger problems to worry about.

Here, let me interfere with the election: "Cast your write-in vote for Johnny Knoxville." There, I've sealed the fate of the Democrat Party.

Democrats gerrymander, dude. Are you unaware of this?
For a sense of the extent of the Democrat-drawn gerrymander, consider this: In 2016, Republican candidates won 37 percent of the statewide two-party vote for U.S. House seats. But because of the way Democrats drew district boundaries after the 2010 Census, that translated to just one of the state's eight House seats.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... a4d8419a61

Is that "borderline illegal," too?
On the basis of a simple visual inspection, the boundaries are something of a mess, following no discernible rhyme or reason. The districts are among the least geographically compact in the nation, which is often a telltale sign that partisan shenanigans are afoot.

But to fully understand the genius of Maryland Democrats' gerrymander, we need to impose the district boundaries over precinct-level 2016 presidential election results, so we can we can see how the borders interact with the state's partisan geography. I've done that at the state level below, using a map of precinct-level returns compiled by Ryne Rohla of Washington State University.
It's been called a “crazy quilt.” A “blood spatter from a crime scene.” A “broken-winged pterodactyl, lying prostrate across the center of the state.” At one point, the district is contiguous only by virtue of a swim across a tendril of the Chesapeake Bay. At another, it narrows down to the width of a block and a half in northeast Baltimore.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:52 pm
:lol: I was asking around at school yesterday if anyone had voted, and some poor girl said she had been turned away because she was missing something or other. I asked if she was registered and she said yes it was extra credit in her history class. :sigh:

Hopefully she goes back and this time tells them to fuck off. Of course she may have been lying to avoid looking bad.

BTW no one had! Young people man, I told you not to count on them.
Missing "something or other?" What more than "being registered" and (in some places) the same ID you need to cash a check, buy a beer/cigs, drive a car..... or be admitted to and register for school.... do you need? If that - any place that requires an ID gives a laundry list of possible identification methods.

I bet she didn't register.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Probably. There's a chance someone spooked her but it's unlikely.

I'm in line now, and it's crazy out here. :biggrin: I wouldn't be surprised if this is the biggest turn out we've had in awhile.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm
Unlikely. How in the world do you get "spooked" at a polling place? It's run by a bunch of retirees. You show up, and there is a sign "vote here." So you go there. If there is a line, you stand behind the last person. When you get to the table, you say your name, and (maybe) show an ID. They give you a ballot. You go to a private table and take all the time you need to fill in the dots. Then you put the the paper ballot into the reader. Nobody says shit to you.

My fucking 5 year old knows how to vote, because I took her with me at age 3 in 2016.
Sean Hayden wrote:

I'm in line now, and it's crazy out here. :biggrin: I wouldn't be surprised if this is the biggest turn out we've had in awhile.
It looks that way. My county doesn't have polls open today, I guess. I checked online. Tomorrow I can vote. I may try to swing by in the morning. I'm a little worried they'll spook me, though. It's such a worrying thing, this whole "voting" thing. Walking into a room with like, other people around, and like, privately filling in an oval. What if someone asks me a question?

My district is almost guaranteed to stay GOP. So, doesn't much matter. I'm more interested in the constitutional amendments an ballot proposals - there are like 12 of them.
Last edited by Forty Two on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Yeah the amendments are critical, as is the governorship. I cannot stand De Santis, but that fucking idiot running for the Dems is a disaster waiting to happen. We had a bunch of county stuff to vote on too, important shit like preventing them from selling off county land to developers. I voted YES on any initiative that restricted their ability to raise taxes and spend more money, and NO on anything that was going to cost me. Fuck them, I already pay more than my Fair Share and I don't give a shit about expensive new palm trees for downtown tourists to gawk at. Fuck off to Orlando.

And I signed a petition to legalize home grown weed.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm
Yeah the amendments are critical, as is the governorship. I cannot stand De Santis, but that fucking idiot running for the Dems is a disaster waiting to happen. We had a bunch of county stuff to vote on too, important shit like preventing them from selling off county land to developers. I voted YES on any initiative that restricted their ability to raise taxes and spend more money, and NO on anything that was going to cost me. Fuck them, I already pay more than my Fair Share and I don't give a shit about expensive new palm trees for downtown tourists to gawk at. Fuck off to Orlando.

And I signed a petition to legalize home grown weed.
Word.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Democrats cheating on elections?
Fake news
Illegal aliens and resident aliens voting?

Fake news.

No need to read your links. How many are in jail gor voting fraud?
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Ah, it's hard for them to vote because we require photo ID, you see.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:16 pm

I think a good number have valid drivers licenses, and all resident aliens do.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 pm

We shouldn't need any of that shit. You should be able to vote from home on the Internet. The state with the highest turnout uses mail-in voting. :dunno:

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss her complaints.

Voting may be easy and hassle free In Bizarro Breitbart World where Coito lives, but in the real world, voter suppression has basically become part of Republican strategy:

http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 5#p1795405
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 4#p1794704
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1793353
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1793337
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1793118
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 6#p1763516
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1757673
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm

mmmh, the risk of getting hacked is far too high, I wouldn't trust online voting. I don't even trust electronic voting machines
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm
mmmh, the risk of getting hacked is far too high, I wouldn't trust online voting. I don't even trust electronic voting machines
Entirely agree. The Russians would have a field day.

We tried voting machine once and never again. The machines or the software could easily be tampered. Also the size of our ballot papers create too many problems. We had 33 parties in the last election. All those standing for each party has to be on the paper as well. The major parties have at least half of the number in the chamber and that is 75. It is quite a table cloth. You are sent a copy before the election so you can orientate your way around it.

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".