All Things Trump

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: All Things Trump

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Do you have to be over 50 to register? Anything of course is possible. Well it is not democratic is it? Was there not a nice bit of gerrymandering going on there?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Who needs friends?

Trump says Germans ‘turning against their leadership’ over immigration
US president launches unprecedented attack on Angela Merkel’s government
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Trump supreme court leaves gerrymandering in place
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/18/60601702 ... o-in-place
"studies show.... nothing, apparently
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Now he's channeling Reagan (star wars)
https://www.npr.org/2018/05/21/61301747 ... ary-branch

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm
It's now a "Trump Supreme Court?" How many Justices has he appointed? 1. Obama's and Clinton appointed 4 of the current justices. The decisions in both of the gerrymandering cases were "unanimous." 9-0.

Also, one of the cases involved gerrymandering by Republicans, and the other involved gerrymandering by Democrats. Both 9-0 decisions against the complaining persons.

In the Maryland case, Republican voters argued that Maryland's Democratic-controlled government violated their constitutional rights by gerrymandering the state's congressional lines to oust a long-serving GOP congressman. They were denied a preliminary injunction by the district court (which found no "likelihood of success on the merits" and that they were not in a position to grant the relief requested, and that the plaintiffs did not act with reasonable diligence, etc.), and so the SCOTUS ruled 9-0 that the district court did not abuse its discretion in denying the injunction. Decision sounded reasonable when I scanned through it.

In the Wisconsin case, Democrat voters sued alleging the statewide redistricting violated their constitutional rights, and the SCOTUS found a lack of standing to sue (i.e., the particular plaintiffs in this case did not establish a justiciable injury to give them a sufficient interest in the case). However, the Court remanded (sent back) the case to the district court to allow the Plaintiff's to introduce evidence to prove their particularized, individual injury-in-fact on which to base their "standing" to sue. That also sounds fairly reasonable. My concern is that in cases involving constitutional issues, the court tends to be pretty hard on plaintiffs in establishing standing, such that sometimes it appears to be impossible to find a plaintiff who can challenge a given practice.

Of the two, the weaker case was the one in Maryland. However, the Wisconsin case is not dead, and may wind up coming back up the appellate ladder.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm
Who needs friends?

Trump says Germans ‘turning against their leadership’ over immigration
US president launches unprecedented attack on Angela Merkel’s government
Yes, criticism should always flow only one way. When Donald Tusk or Jean Claude-Juncker criticize and even mock him, that's perfectly reasonable. When Macron criticizes American policy on the Paris Climate Accord, and appeals to Americans as opposed to the President, that's fine too. Criticism German immigration policy, however, and that's just "unprecedented." Nobody criticizes American policy. That would be unprecedented. LOL.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Rum wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am
You can't make a tortilla without breaking eggs..

..or can you?
depends, Spanish or Mexican style tortilla?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm
Tero wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm
It's now a "Trump Supreme Court?" How many Justices has he appointed? 1. Obama's and Clinton appointed 4 of the current justices. The decisions in both of the gerrymandering cases were "unanimous." 9-0.

Also, one of the cases involved gerrymandering by Republicans, and the other involved gerrymandering by Democrats. Both 9-0 decisions against the complaining persons.

In the Maryland case, Republican voters argued that Maryland's Democratic-controlled government violated their constitutional rights by gerrymandering the state's congressional lines to oust a long-serving GOP congressman. They were denied a preliminary injunction by the district court (which found no "likelihood of success on the merits" and that they were not in a position to grant the relief requested, and that the plaintiffs did not act with reasonable diligence, etc.), and so the SCOTUS ruled 9-0 that the district court did not abuse its discretion in denying the injunction. Decision sounded reasonable when I scanned through it.

In the Wisconsin case, Democrat voters sued alleging the statewide redistricting violated their constitutional rights, and the SCOTUS found a lack of standing to sue (i.e., the particular plaintiffs in this case did not establish a justiciable injury to give them a sufficient interest in the case). However, the Court remanded (sent back) the case to the district court to allow the Plaintiff's to introduce evidence to prove their particularized, individual injury-in-fact on which to base their "standing" to sue. That also sounds fairly reasonable. My concern is that in cases involving constitutional issues, the court tends to be pretty hard on plaintiffs in establishing standing, such that sometimes it appears to be impossible to find a plaintiff who can challenge a given practice.

Of the two, the weaker case was the one in Maryland. However, the Wisconsin case is not dead, and may wind up coming back up the appellate ladder.
You make it sound like gerrymandering is just a fact of life.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:12 pm

ICE is authorized to deport these immigrants
"Crimes of moral turpitude" are not well defined in U.S. immigration law. However, the Department of State has provided guidance, noting that the most common elements of a moral turpitude crime will include "fraud, larceny, and intent to harm persons or things." Crimes involving dishonesty and theft will almost always be considered crimes of moral turpitude. Other examples would be assault with the intent to rob or kill, spousal abuse, and aggravated driving under the influence ("DUI" or "DWI").

As there are too many examples of crimes that have been found to involve moral turpitude to list here, it is safest to take a certified disposition of your offense (obtained from the clerk of the court where your case was heard) to a criminal or immigration attorney in order to learn whether your particular type of conviction has been found to be one.

It may be possible to argue that your conviction should not be classified as a crime of moral turpitude, or that the statute that you violated contains elements that would not always pertain to a crime of moral turpitude. These types of defenses will be highly dependent upon the wording of the statute under which you were convicted. Criminal statutes almost always come from state law, so you may be raising brand new questions about how these statutes are interpreted under federal immigration law.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... table.html
Not clear what the whole process is

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:03 pm

If one holds the vast statutes of law to be inviolable then any crime or misdemeanor signifies an act of moral turpitude.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Legitimate criticism is one thing. Blatant lying about the internal conditions of an ally nation is another, but it's in keeping with a long history of self-serving mendacity.
President Trump claimed in a tweet Monday morning that “crime in Germany is way up,” ignoring statistics that prove the crime rate there has actually reached a historic low.

The president also claimed that migration was causing Germans to turn against their leaders, and that millions of asylum-seekers from Africa and the Middle East had “strongly and violently changed” Europe’s culture.

“The people of Germany are turning against their leadership as migration is rocking the already tenuous Berlin coalition,” he tweeted. “Crime in Germany is way up. Big mistake made all over Europe in allowing millions of people in who have so strongly and violently changed their culture!”

Like so many of the president’s tweets, Monday’s claim was both misleading and factually inaccurate.

Crime in Germany is not way up. Official figures from last month show that the national crime rate fell 5 percent since last year in Germany, dropping to the lowest levels since 1992. The number of crimes committed by non-German individuals fell 23 percent. The one area of crime which saw a 2.5 percent increase was antisemitic attacks — with 94 percent of them committed by far-right German nationals.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm

He has done this pretty consistently. He talked not long ao about cities in the UK where the police were afraid to go because of Muslims - amongst a few other utterly ridiculous lies.

Esquire estimates he has told over 3000 lies in fact: https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/ ... -his-best/

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

In fact he needs an aide with a fire extinguisher with him at all times to douse his flaming pants... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 pm

White House says they have to arrest all illegal immigrants and put them in jail. Would it not be better for them to deport them immediately than keep them here? It does not get rid of them to jail them.
:funny:
That was their reason for separating the kids, who are not criminals.

Tero
Just saying