Should Communism Be Classified As A Criminal Ideology?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Should Communism Be Classified As A Criminal Ideology?

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:54 pm

cronus wrote:
JimC wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 am
Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:Without going down the thought police road, it's really very simple - a criminal act is a criminal act, whatever the motivation. One punishes actions, not thoughts...
May I suggest you familiarise yourself with the concept of mens rea? Once you've done that, I suggest you read, say, The Communist Manifesto and find the places where it advocates the establishment of gulags and all the other atrocities the likes of Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot et cetera have committed.

Same goes for you, Scrumple.
The ideology can of course be robustly criticised - from other posts I've made, you know I regard it highly likely that trying to apply marxist ideology seems to inevitably lead to gulags etc.

My point was to show that crumple's use of the word criminal in the context of ideology is unwise, and that what is criminal is actions, not ideologies...

There are already criminal laws regarding Nazism in varous places. Given Communism's infectious nature in times of economic upheaval, always on the horizon, some laws suppressing flag waving etc....look at the violence on the left with these days, no different and potentially worse for claiming high ideals it lacks in contrast to the alt. right? Very little difference....
What specific communist premises or ideas do you think warrant criminal sanction?

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the communist party?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:59 pm

We had also a strong communist party in Groningen and Limburg. Now it has disappeared.

If anything should banned it is fascism in all its forms.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 pm
JimC wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 am
Without going down the thought police road, it's really very simple - a criminal act is a criminal act, whatever the motivation. One punishes actions, not thoughts...
Yet civil disobedience is a duty for honest men faced with corrupt governments and evil laws.
And those who are serious about peaceful civil disobedience are usually prepared to cop their punishment, with perhaps the thought of useful publicity or inspiring others, and often with the hope that political change will occur which removes the offence they committed. For example, in Oz in the early 70's, it was compulsory for young men to register for the national service draft, facing being sent to Vietnam. Many refused to register, and some were imprisoned. When the Whitlam Labour government came to power in 1972, the draft laws were scrapped, and the prisoners of conscience released.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!