Starbucks coffee. Any colour but black.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Starbucks coffee. Any colour but black.

Post by rainbow » Thu May 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:20 pm
It doesn't matter what a poll says most people think.
How do you know?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:

Why?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:12 pm
Forty Two wrote:

Why?
Whether a person is racist is not determined by popular vote. There was a time when 2/3 of Democrats thought George W. Bush was complicit in the events of 9/11/01, according to polls.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu May 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Why?
Because most ground apes are ignorant, wet-brained imbeciles?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu May 03, 2018 2:31 pm

It's this kind of stupidity that makes the average joe hate elites Forty Two. I know as the average joe that I wouldn't be given half the chance you're willing to give a motherfucker like Trump.

How many excuses would 42 make for anybody else? It's absurd, it's unbelievable. Let joe shit make a single mistake, a bad comment, etc, whatever, and he's ruined. Hell, joe shit can't even be late to work --late to fucking work! Can you imagine if Trump ever did anything as bad as to be consistently late to work! --fired!

:lol:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:31 pm
It's this kind of stupidity that makes the average joe hate elites Forty Two. I know as the average joe that I wouldn't be given half the chance you're willing to give a motherfucker like Trump.

How many excuses would 42 make for anybody else? It's absurd, it's unbelievable. Let joe shit make a single mistake, a bad comment, etc, whatever, and he's ruined. Hell, joe shit can't even be late to work --late to fucking work! Can you imagine if Trump ever did anything as bad as to be consistently late to work! --fired!

:lol:
Well, I would make the same "excuses." Others wouldn't, and maybe that's what you're really suggesting, is that the average Joe would normally be drawn and quartered by now by others. You're probably right. That's also why so many people are not looking at the allegations with a skeptical hat.

To me, Joe Shit can be late to work if he wants. That's not my business. And, I am very much willing to allow Joe Shit to make mistakes and bad comments.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:16 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Why?
Whether a person is racist is not determined by popular vote. There was a time when 2/3 of Democrats thought George W. Bush was complicit in the events of 9/11/01, according to polls.
The poll doesn't determines someone's racist credentials any more that it actually makes them a racist. The poll reflects the views of those who were asked the question. At the very least the poll suggests that President has a serious image problem, that he's comes across as more than a bit racisty. Shooting the messenger doesn't change that.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 03, 2018 3:04 pm

I would never deny that Trump has a serious image problem.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu May 03, 2018 3:07 pm

:lol: It's too easy, eh 42?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 03, 2018 4:19 pm

An MSNBC poll has 80% of respondents saying Trump has been treated unfairly by the media. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-has-the ... nald-trump

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 am

Forty Two wrote:
Joe wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:45 am
Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 am
And yet, here's Trump giving credence to what O'Donnell wrote on the record, unless you're accusing the Huffington Post of making it up. :funny:
The Huffington Post didn't exist when Trump did the Playboy interview in 1999.

I'm reporting what Snopes found, which was that there is no corroboration for either the quote or the sentiment. Are you accusing Snopes of making it up?
Another boatload of irrelevance from you Forty Two. The May, 1997 edition of Playboy existed in many libraries when the Huffington Post quoted it, and unless you dispute the accuracy of their quote, it shows Donald Trump corroborating the sentiment O’Donnell reported, on the record.
That's the thing -- here is the May 1997 article about Trump in Playboy: https://business.highbeam.com/137462/ar ... art-donald It doesn't say what HuffPo says it said. Trump vehemently denied O’Donnell’s account of the conversation when asked about it in a 24 October 1999 interview with Tim Russert on Meet the Press. The wikipedia article refers to a 1999 Article in Playboy where he supposedly said what Huffp said he said https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumped!_(book) - no link to the Playboy article itself.

Oddly, not one source links to the Playboy article in question - was it 1997? Doesn't look like it. Was it 1999? Can't find it. Can you?

The Washington Post has an article about it - they say it was in a May 1997 article in Playboy. They link to a source, the HuffPo article. The Huffpo Article, though, does not say 1997, but refers to a 1999 playboy article, which is apparently quoted, but not linked. And, the paragraph is incoherent. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/ ... 55553.html

Here, this analysis says: "EDITORS NOTE: some articles reference a Playboy interview from 1999; the article was actually from May 1997." But - I found the may 1997 article in full, and it doesn't say that - unless there is another, second, piece involving Trump in that same May, 1997 issue.... but, why can I find one but not the other?

Joe wrote:
You are also on the record, saying
If you say that black people are lazy, then that's better evidence that one is racist. Thinking an entire race of people is lazy is rather racist.
And just to remind you of the corroborated sentiment, Trump is reported to have said,
I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.
Add that to all the other things Trump has said and done, and it sounds persuasive enough that 8 in 10 blacks, three-quarters of Hispanics and nearly half of whites said they think Trump is racist in a recent poll.
Forty Two erred and wrote:
You say it's corroborated - both the Washington Post and Snopes say it's not corroborated, and doubtful. Snopes doesn't lean right, and neither does the Washington Post.
Nice try at misdirection Forty Two. The WAPO and Snopes accurately point out O'Donnell's quote is secondhand, but they also back up what I say, that Trump corroborated O'Donnell in the 1997 Playboy interview you say you read in full. Of course you didn't, you read an excerpt of the first couple of pages and didn't notice the ellipsis at the end, and the link to log in to read the rest of the 20 page story.

Yeah, that's a link to the cheapest available copy, and you won't get in trouble with your wife because it's just the article. And yes, The HuffPo, WAPO, and Snopes all got the Trump quote right. Were I you, I'd leave the reporting to the pros.
Forty Two wrote:
Yeah, that's why the media cover them and our leaders follow them so closely. I've found that people on the wrong side of the polls are the ones to say that. :console:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:04 pm
I would never deny that Trump has a serious image problem.
But that's only because of the leftist fake news media.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri May 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Joe wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 am
Forty Two wrote:
Joe wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 am
And yet, here's Trump giving credence to what O'Donnell wrote on the record, unless you're accusing the Huffington Post of making it up. :funny:
The Huffington Post didn't exist when Trump did the Playboy interview in 1999.

I'm reporting what Snopes found, which was that there is no corroboration for either the quote or the sentiment. Are you accusing Snopes of making it up?
Another boatload of irrelevance from you Forty Two. The May, 1997 edition of Playboy existed in many libraries when the Huffington Post quoted it, and unless you dispute the accuracy of their quote, it shows Donald Trump corroborating the sentiment O’Donnell reported, on the record.
That's the thing -- here is the May 1997 article about Trump in Playboy: https://business.highbeam.com/137462/ar ... art-donald It doesn't say what HuffPo says it said. Trump vehemently denied O’Donnell’s account of the conversation when asked about it in a 24 October 1999 interview with Tim Russert on Meet the Press. The wikipedia article refers to a 1999 Article in Playboy where he supposedly said what Huffp said he said https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumped!_(book) - no link to the Playboy article itself.

Oddly, not one source links to the Playboy article in question - was it 1997? Doesn't look like it. Was it 1999? Can't find it. Can you?

The Washington Post has an article about it - they say it was in a May 1997 article in Playboy. They link to a source, the HuffPo article. The Huffpo Article, though, does not say 1997, but refers to a 1999 playboy article, which is apparently quoted, but not linked. And, the paragraph is incoherent. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/ ... 55553.html

Here, this analysis says: "EDITORS NOTE: some articles reference a Playboy interview from 1999; the article was actually from May 1997." But - I found the may 1997 article in full, and it doesn't say that - unless there is another, second, piece involving Trump in that same May, 1997 issue.... but, why can I find one but not the other?

Joe wrote:
You are also on the record, saying
If you say that black people are lazy, then that's better evidence that one is racist. Thinking an entire race of people is lazy is rather racist.
And just to remind you of the corroborated sentiment, Trump is reported to have said,
I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.
Add that to all the other things Trump has said and done, and it sounds persuasive enough that 8 in 10 blacks, three-quarters of Hispanics and nearly half of whites said they think Trump is racist in a recent poll.
Forty Two erred and wrote:
You say it's corroborated - both the Washington Post and Snopes say it's not corroborated, and doubtful. Snopes doesn't lean right, and neither does the Washington Post.
Nice try at misdirection Forty Two. The WAPO and Snopes accurately point out O'Donnell's quote is secondhand, but they also back up what I say, that Trump corroborated O'Donnell in the 1997 Playboy interview you say you read in full. Of course you didn't, you read an excerpt of the first couple of pages and didn't notice the ellipsis at the end, and the link to log in to read the rest of the 20 page story.

Yeah, that's a link to the cheapest available copy, and you won't get in trouble with your wife because it's just the article. And yes, The HuffPo, WAPO, and Snopes all got the Trump quote right. Were I you, I'd leave the reporting to the pros.
Forty Two wrote:
Yeah, that's why the media cover them and our leaders follow them so closely. I've found that people on the wrong side of the polls are the ones to say that. :console:
Most appreciated, finding the full article. I was puzzled why I could not find it. Each article I read seemed to trace back to the same place, but none had the actual article linked. I was not denying that the quote was accurate - I was confused as to why it was so hard to find the article and why there was confusion in the articles I was reading about the year it was published - some saying 1999 and some 1997.

My biggest issue with the quote, as I noted, perhaps not as clearly as I should have, is that it makes no sense. Read it through. He's saying both that be barely knows O'Donnell, who is a big loser, and saying that O'Donnell really doesn't know him to write about him (since they only interacted a couple of times), and then right in the middle of it he makes the "probably true" statement. It's a muddled and confusing quote. It's not accepted by WaPo or Snopes as evidence that Trump made the specific racist comment attributed to him, and Trump denied it outright when asked about that specific comment by Tim Russert of Meet the Press in 1999.

When I read the quote, it doesn't come across as if Trump is attesting to the accuracy of every, single statement in the O'Donnell piece. It's at most a generalized statement.

But - it is what it is, and there is not much further to go with it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 pm

True it is what it is, just another data point.

I suspect the problem you're having with the quote is the way Trump speaks. It's pretty non-linear.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake