Starbucks coffee. Any colour but black.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Starbucks coffee. Any colour but black.

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:15 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:36 pm
Dunno. Legacy?
Why would he want his legacy to be that of a non-racist when he was really a racist?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 am

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:49 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:45 pm

If you look up both of the citations there for "Beginning in the 1970s..." (footnotes 20 and 61) Neither of them provide any indication that in the 1970s he renounced his earlier views. that statement of regret (footnote 62) relates to comments he made in the 1990s, when he was over 75 years old.

Note - the reason that I raised this issue of Robert Byrd was to address the issue of whether one can be a good person and support a racist.
But if the testimony of Byrd is to be believed, he's no longer a racist. So you are comparing an alleged racist to a non-racist. Your comparison is flawed. Why would he recant stuff he doesn't believe in when he's retired and waiting to die? That would seem to be the point where he no longer had to hold his tongue and could let fly with anything he wanted.
Trump was never a racist like Byrd, where there indisputable, overt, objective proof of racism. The only thing in relation to Trump is the ALLEGATION that he is racist. He denies being a racist and says he never was a racist. The comparison is not flawed.

Your flaw is that you have a guy who was a massive racist - overtly and unapologetic - for many decades - a member of the Klan for crying out loud, and you accept his apology and alleged conversion. Trump, who was none of those things, and who is being charged with racism because he is against illegal immigration, and wants a Wall, etc., even though he vehemently denies being a racist, you don't give him that consideration at all.
Your flaw is that you can't read. I haven't said anything about Trump. I'm talking about Byrd. I'm willing to accept he really was a racist till the day he died, but your argument from incredulity isn't an argument.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 am
You're excusing a failure in policing for which the chief of police has apologised, and for the actions of a member of the Starbucks' team for which the CEO has also apologised. It does kind of look like two guys were arrested for being Black, and let's remember that at no point were they asked to leave (contrary to the 911 call), that they were arrested without being informed of the grounds of their detention, that they were never charged with an offence, that they were detained in custody for 11 hours, that they were not read their rights when they were arrested, and that the manager called 911 around two minutes after they walked through the door. Perhaps they were just waiting for the other member of the party to arrive before ordering - nobody seemed interested in finding out.
That's all a bit inaccurate and misleading. Politics is involved and influencing what people say. The police commissionaire is probably elected, or hired by an elected politician. The mayor is elected. And Starbucks are just trying to limit the damage to their image.

I watched the video, and it was about five minutes after the police arrived that the two spent refusing to leave, even though the police told them to go as soon as they got there (which they said themselves)

After five minutes of non compliance, the police finally arrested them. I think they were quite restrained.

What are the police supposed to do now? Hold a public inquiry into the reasons why a manager asks someone to leave? And take sides at the end of it?
The fact is, the manager ALWAYS has the right to require you to leave. Whether his reasons are good or bad doesn't affect that right in the slightest. You can argue the toss later if you like. But if you are asked to leave, you should leave.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 am

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:02 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Or, one of you could have acted like a normal human being, and prompted me by asking "42, did you see this? How do you think that impacts the issue of good people supporting racists?"
Why the fuck would we do that? You've got a long history of ignoring inconvenient posts.
I do not have that history, but you do.
You do realise your juvenile tactic of just throwing back every criticism of you onto me is really transparent, right?
Prime example - the recent thread where you were claiming meme-attacks. I politely asked you to back up your claim with an example. You refused. You said it was too hard to find one example of the "not infrequent" meme attacks you've been subjected to. That's your long history - you do that all the time.
Oh piss off. Go ahead and tell me a practical way to find your memes that attack people in amongst your thousands of posts. If you can tell me a method other than physically going backwards through every post, then I'll give it a shot. Until then, grow a brain.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:27 am

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:42 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm
In the future, if you feel I have not addressed a point that you want addressed, please prompt me to do so.
Last time I did you flew off the handle. Kindly refresh your memory about this and your next two posts.
Lol - yes, Pervin posts nasty bullshit to the effect of "stand by for 8 pages of equivocation" (from the master of equivocation, that was hilarious).
And you still have the temerity to claim that you don't tone police. :lol:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:29 am

mistermack wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 pm
rachelbean wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:00 pm
I've gone into a Starbucks and used the bathroom before buying anything (as peeing was my top priority) and have never had a problem. Definitely never seen the cops called on anyone, it was a ridiculous and unnecessary escalation.
It was, but I don't think it was the manager's fault. When she asked them to either buy something or leave, they refused to do either. I don't think that you would have done that.

And what was the manager supposed to do, when someone says I'm not buying something, and I'm not going to leave?
If you refuse to leave premises when asked by the management, that definitely is a police matter.
(it might be different if you HAD bought something, and wanted to consume it on the premises, which is what you paid for)
Actually, even in those circumstances, you would find that they have a right to require you to leave, if they judge your behaviour unacceptable.
I've got to say, I'm pretty sympathetic to this view. It doesn't really matter if it was only two minutes. If the guy asked to use the toilet and refused to buy something or leave, it doesn't matter whether that happened at the 2 minute mark or the 15 minute mark.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:41 am

Oh, and regarding Byrd...The old cunt has nothing at all to do with 42 supporting Trump! :fp: It's just another example of 42's "whataboutisms". LOCK HER (and her husband) UP! :roll:

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 am

Regarding Byrd...the old cracker's been dead for almost 8 years. Dis him all you want, but get the verb tense right. :gram:

Yeah, it's apropos of nothin'. I just wanted to use that smilie. 8-)

As for Trump, racist is as racist does. Has he commented on James Shaw's courage in breaking up that Waffle House shooting? Perhaps he felt there were "some very fine people on both sides" of that incident. I've known many racists that weren't in the Klan.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:30 am

The guy is a racist. His Mexicans comment (cue 42 with the usual apologetics we've heard a thousand times before), that Mexican judge thing, and his "good people on both sides" shit.

And racists support him.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:41 am

At the very least, he's an enabler of racism...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 am

The racist vote swung it for Donald. That's an absolute fact.

Just as the politically correct vote almost got Hilary in.

Donald just did a better job of getting elected. I doubt if he cares too much about race. If there's some black pussy available, I'm sure he'd grab it. Or some black investment money available, he'd bid for it.
He only cares about Donald.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Joe wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 am
Regarding Byrd...the old cracker's been dead for almost 8 years. Dis him all you want, but get the verb tense right. :gram:

Yeah, it's apropos of nothin'. I just wanted to use that smilie. 8-)

As for Trump, racist is as racist does. Has he commented on James Shaw's courage in breaking up that Waffle House shooting? Perhaps he felt there were "some very fine people on both sides" of that incident. I've known many racists that weren't in the Klan.
Racists don't comment on murders? There were 17,000 homicides in the US in 2016. Probably about the same in 2017. Victims were of all races, colors and creeds, and so were the perpetrators. Presidents tend not to comment on them unless there is something extraordinary about them.

When you start with the assumption that a person is a racist, anything he or she does or doesn't do becomes indicative of that racism.

Regarding the "good people on both sides" he's talking about the left vs right debate in general. He's not saying there are good people in the Klan, and he's not saying there are good people in ANTIFA. He's saying there are good people on both sides.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:17 pm

mistermack wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 am
The racist vote swung it for Donald. That's an absolute fact.
That discounts the number of racists in the Democrat party. Overall, racism is fairly low in the US. There are racists, of course, in varying degrees. But, for the most part, the US culture is that of equal opportunity, and non-discrimination based on race. But, anyone who has spent time in blue collar land, which tend to vote blue, they know that there is some racism voting Democrat, too.

When Bill Clinton and Al Gore ran for President, they called themselves "Sons of the New South" in their election material, and they used the Confederate flag in their advertising. Did they appeal to racists? Some, yes.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:41 am
At the very least, he's an enabler of racism...
How so? What has he done to enable racism, specifically? (other than "oh, come on, 42, you must live under a rock...", we can assume he's done that, but other than that, what's he done?).