Twin Peaks and Hooters: Sexist and Misogynistic?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Twin Peaks and Hooters: Sexist and Misogynistic?

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:What's the entertainment? Push up bras and false tits?
Actually, my recollections of going there a few times about 15-20 years ago (I haven't been in at least 10-12 years, or more) was that part of the entertainment was fun interaction with the waitresses. The times I went there were with friends, going out to watch a game on the television and eat wings and drink beer on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening. The outfits become really not that noticeable - they aren't particularly revealing - they're tight shorts and a t-shirt. It's the women in the outfits that are really the attraction - first their appearance, because that's what anyone sees first in another person. You see them from a distance before you talk to them. But, the main thing becomes the interaction. They spend time at the table. They are hired for their ability to banter and talk to people, and the waitresses spend more time interacting with the customers than the wait staff at regular restaurants do. That's how I would explain it. It's as if they become sort of part of the party for the time.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Go to an Irish pub. Far better craic.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Well, you bring your own, on match days there's no craic because the place is crammed so full you can't move, much less get a drink or talk with your neighbours... at least that's what I noticed in pubs (Irish or Scottish) that made the ugly mistake of broacasting sports matches... my preference is those where they have sessions, or if they are large enough full céilidh... but then again, I love folk music.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Irish pubs fall into two groups; with tellies and without. The without are a dying breed.

For some it is the only place to watch a rugby match.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:49 pm

a shame, tellies are craic killers, dammit, pubs are for drinking with friends, not for watching dumb stuff on a screen, heck, the only screen in my home belongs to the computer, not to a telly, and I don't need tellies where I go.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 pm

Go to any beach bar in the summer around here and you'll see more skin then you do at Hooters. We used to have topless car washes, you sat in the car and they rubbed their soapy titties all over the windows.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Svartalf wrote:a shame, tellies are craic killers, dammit, pubs are for drinking with friends, not for watching dumb stuff on a screen, heck, the only screen in my home belongs to the computer, not to a telly, and I don't need tellies where I go.
Not arguing about that old son. I entirely agree and that also goes for music. Are people unable to speak these days and have a friendly drink?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:03 pm

There's room for all tastes. Some people want a sports bar. Some people want a place to hear music. Some people want a quiet place to chat. All such places exist in just about every town in the US. To each their own.

Within a 3km from here, I can go to multiple Irish style pubs, two English style pubs, multiple American pub/restaurants with bars in them. Mexican pub/restaurants. Sports bars. Cigar bars. High priced, low priced, mid-range. Fancy. Holes-in-the-wall. You name it. We have it all. Some have big giant tv screens and every sporting event going. Some have loud music. Some have neither.
Last edited by Forty Two on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Svartalf wrote:a shame, tellies are craic killers, dammit, pubs are for drinking with friends, not for watching dumb stuff on a screen, heck, the only screen in my home belongs to the computer, not to a telly, and I don't need tellies where I go.
Not arguing about that old son. I entirely agree and that also goes for music. Are people unable to speak these days and have a friendly drink?
dunno, the places I usually go to leave the muzak at a suffieciently low level that conversation remains possible

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:52 pm

I am afraid here the music systems are well used. I seldom go the pub these days. I will wait for summer when the terrace are open again.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 pm

meh, here, the terraces are open all year round, except few or none sit there when the weather is too cold or wet.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Svartalf wrote:meh, here, the terraces are open all year round, except few or none sit there when the weather is too cold or wet.
We have the odd one with terrace heating which I cant stand as you end up with a hot head and cold feet.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:04 pm

yeah, I know, the bar at the foot of my building is like that, it even deploys transparent plastic sheets when there's rain so as to make the terrace into a weatherproof room.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Sadly nearly all pubs in the UK now except for ones which have become more restaurants than pubs have very loud banging music. Most of the clientele sit there staring at their phones and messaging each other - I suspect because they can't hear each other talk!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:11 pm

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when they turn down an applicant for the waitress job because they are too ugly.

"Nice tits dear, it's a shame about the boat race !! "
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.