Twin Peaks and Hooters: Sexist and Misogynistic?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Twin Peaks and Hooters: Sexist and Misogynistic?

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:16 pm

pErvinalia wrote:It certainly should be discouraged.

Do any black chicks ever work at these places? I only ever see pictures of white chicks.
All the black 'chicks' work at Bitches. :smug:

I have often (well occasionally) wondered how they get away with this in the USA. We don't have the chain here and our employment laws would make it illegal. One can't discriminate in employment by gender - or tit size for that matter.

I'm surprised you can in the USA. Mind you Hooters is a corporation so I guess they bought an exception to the law - if there is one - via the Senator or whoever.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Supposedly they argued that they are similar to a titty bar. The UK doesn't require you to have guys dancing on the poles of your titty bars does it?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Supposedly they argued that they are similar to a titty bar. The UK doesn't require you to have guys dancing on the poles of your titty bars does it?
There are very few of those here any more. I guess the employees in those would be classed as 'entertainers' which for obvious reasons would need to be exempt.

Seems a dubious way around the issue. What's the food like - or does nobody notice?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm

I've never been there. I'd die of embarrassment. I really just wanted to say titty bar. :hehe:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Hooters has fairly decent chicken wings (particularly the Chernobyl level) and you can get Corona. Plus tits. Haven't been for years, because when I want fried shit, beer, and titties I go to the beach bar. But - I see Hooters now has bacon wrapped deep fried chicken wings, I may have to give them another shot. Breaded, deep fried, bacon wrapped chicken wings in hot sauce, somebody deserves a Nobel for that idea.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm

laklak wrote:Hooters has fairly decent chicken wings (particularly the Chernobyl level) and you can get Corona. Plus tits. Haven't been for years, because when I want fried shit, beer, and titties I go to the beach bar. But - I see Hooters now has bacon wrapped deep fried chicken wings, I may have to give them another shot. Breaded, deep fried, bacon wrapped chicken wings in hot sauce, somebody deserves a Nobel for that idea.
Combine that with high blood pressure inducing titties - instant heart attack territory! :hehe:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Rum wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:It certainly should be discouraged.

Do any black chicks ever work at these places? I only ever see pictures of white chicks.
All the black 'chicks' work at Bitches. :smug:

I have often (well occasionally) wondered how they get away with this in the USA. We don't have the chain here and our employment laws would make it illegal. One can't discriminate in employment by gender - or tit size for that matter.

I'm surprised you can in the USA. Mind you Hooters is a corporation so I guess they bought an exception to the law - if there is one - via the Senator or whoever.
They don't have an exception to the law. The law is that they cannot discriminate based on sex, except if the sex is a bona fide occupational qualification for that position, reasonably necessary for the operation of that particular business or job.

Hooters position is this: "Typically, gender based hiring is not permitted ... The law allows the discrimination when it is necessary for the purpose of authenticity or genuineness as for an actor or fashion model. While we offer world famous wings and burgers, the essence of our business is the Hooters Girl and the experience she provides to our customers. Hooters Girls are entertainers. They audition for their roles and, once hired, they must maintain a glamorous appearance, and sing, dance and engage the customers to provide a unique Hooters experience."

However, they have settled 2 lawsuits over the last 20 years, although they have both times been able to leave their hiring practices intact. They paid out sums to keep the case from going to trial. The first suit in 1997, was settled in part by allowing men to be hosts and bartenders, but not waitresses - the company claiming that the waitress thing is part-and-parcel of their business model.

Their argument is the same as a strip club hiring only women, or only men, depending on the kind of club. It would be a bona fide occupational qualification that The Dollhouse or the Seventh Bell would have strippers without cocks and balls.

The risk is that a court might rule, as it did against Southwest Airlines, that hiring only female flight attendants is illegal sex discrimination. Hooters doesn't have as strong an argument as The Dollhouse, but it arguably has a better argument than Southwest Airlines.

So, that's how they still do it. It's a cost of doing business. They keep doing what they're doing, and if a man or men sue them, they've settled the cases. The EEOC has never ordered them to stop. EEOC chased them in the early 90s, but Hooters got them to dismiss the administrative action. The EEOC complainants were among those who settled directly with Hooters in 1997.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Rum wrote:
laklak wrote:Hooters has fairly decent chicken wings (particularly the Chernobyl level) and you can get Corona. Plus tits. Haven't been for years, because when I want fried shit, beer, and titties I go to the beach bar. But - I see Hooters now has bacon wrapped deep fried chicken wings, I may have to give them another shot. Breaded, deep fried, bacon wrapped chicken wings in hot sauce, somebody deserves a Nobel for that idea.
Combine that with high blood pressure inducing titties - instant heart attack territory! :hehe:
I just double up on the beta-blockers and go for it. Fuck it, you only live once. Unless you're a Buddhist, then you live lots of times.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Rum wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:Supposedly they argued that they are similar to a titty bar. The UK doesn't require you to have guys dancing on the poles of your titty bars does it?
There are very few of those here any more. I guess the employees in those would be classed as 'entertainers' which for obvious reasons would need to be exempt.

Seems a dubious way around the issue. What's the food like - or does nobody notice?
Well, it's dubious unless the waitresses are also entertainers, and if you've ever gone to Hooters, they are. The Hooters waitresses are paid in part not just to serve the food after taking an order, and coming back to ask if everything is to everybody's liking. They are paid to entertain the troops. To engage in witty banter. To be part of the experience. I don't think Hooters is contriving anything when they advance that argument. It really is different than going to Chilis or Applebees, where the staff would be discouraged from informality, interaction, and banter with the guests, and the requirement would be to be more standard wait-staff behavior.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Hooters is the titty bar for cucks! Where's davedildo anyway?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:I've never been there. I'd die of embarrassment. I really just wanted to say titty bar. :hehe:
It really isn't a big deal. They wear full t-shirts and shorts. It might have been risque' in the 80s, but there are other restaurants that show more midriff and cleavage. The waitresses typically wear full leggings that are close to the tone of their skin, orange shorts that cover the whole bottom, and t-shirts that cover the whole top. They aren't strippers in the least.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:03 pm

laklak wrote:
Rum wrote:
I just double up on the beta-blockers and go for it. Fuck it, you only live once. Unless you're a Buddhist, then you live lots of times.
Those guys just keep coming back for the titties. :levi:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:I've never been there. I'd die of embarrassment. I really just wanted to say titty bar. :hehe:
It really isn't a big deal. They wear full t-shirts and shorts. It might have been risque' in the 80s, but there are other restaurants that show more midriff and cleavage. The waitresses typically wear full leggings that are close to the tone of their skin, orange shorts that cover the whole bottom, and t-shirts that cover the whole top. They aren't strippers in the least.
It's the paid to like me bit while showing me your tits that I find embarrassing. That's all on me though. I know people that go to Hooters and it just isn't a big deal.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Try the Cheetah Club in Atlanta. Jesus I've never seen more utterly gorgeous women anywhere. And naked, to boot. But do NOT touch, the bouncers are huge, musclebound, humorless bastards. On little lick and you're out on your ass.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Do you need a safe space?
And, there you go again. No, I don't need a safe space. I never use that term either. It's something you like to toss around.
pErvinalia wrote: If you can't handle the fact that we've discussed this shit endlessly, then I can't help you.
I discuss it. You don't. You do your usual "pervin shuffle."
pErvinalia wrote: There's nothing new to be gained by discussing it for the 20th time. I think you are truly unaware of the utter total bore that you are.
Doesn't stop you from posting in every, single thread I create. Would 'twere you did find it boring. Then those who do post something interesting and useful on my threads wouldn't have to ready your inane drivel.

Summary of your contribution:

Should they exist?

They should be discouraged.

By whom? How?

By society.

What do you mean? How should society discourage it, especially since they are just as much part of society as anyone else?

Not going to discuss it. I just felt it was important to tell you that something called "society" should "discourage" it in some unspecified way, for some unspecified reason. I've discussed this 100 times before, even though I really haven't, I've just gone through thread after thread derailing, going off topic, and insulting people.

And, to think, you found this thread so boring, that you just had to post in it.