Trade Wars and how to win 'em

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Trade Wars and how to win 'em

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Trump says they are a good thing and is putting up tariffs apparently which will mean Canada can't dump steel on them. He says trade wars 'easy to win'.

To be fair he's only doing what he said he would, but whether protectionism can even work in the day and age is a moot point.

Meanwhile the EU has drawn up a tentative list of American goods which will have high tariffs (Harley Davidson parts, Levis, Bourbon and lots more).

I'm not even sure what a 'win' looks like. A 'lose' could look like a recession though.

Is Trump just being a twat or does he have a point?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Trade Wars and how to win 'em

Post by Svartalf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 pm

he's a twat, tariff wars are a continuing barrier to trade and the exchange of goods and commodities, the US ideal was built on 'free trade'... of course, that was at a time when US goods were made cheaply (often on slave labor)... nowadays, US goods tend to be expensive, because of the high level of life enjoyed by the population, meaning that 'free trade' is no longer favorable to them, but erecting tariff barriers is not a constructive method, because they make foreign goods, on which much of the high level of life is built expensive... meaning fewer folk can enjoy that high lifestyle, also, it pushes other countries to retaliate in kind, making US goods even harder to export.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Need to go back to exchanging a boat load of corn to a boat load cars. As soon as you use money, trade will not be even.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 pm

except a car, or any other high tech product, will be worth many times its weight or volume in grain or other agricultural produce, even such a demanding and sophisticated kind of produce as meat
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 am

Bush failed:
n the case of the Bush tariffs, the WTO ultimately decided they did not conform with global rules. Facing retaliation from the European Union and others, Bush removed the tariffs after just 18 months, instead of having them in place for three years as he wanted.

For Dave Arndt, president and CEO of Pentaflex, an auto-parts manufacturer based in Springfield, Ohio, those days are a painful memory.

At the time, he was working for another supplier that had a contract with one of the Big Three automakers. The company’s situation deteriorated rapidly when Bush imposed the steel tariffs and its customer balked at absorbing the higher cost.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/ ... ush-391426

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 am

We are going to win the war on kangaroo meat! Deal with it, suckers!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:58 am

Rum wrote:
That isn't either/or.

He may however be creating jobs that no US citizen actually wants. I suppose there are some Mexicans and Haitians that might be prepared to do them at a price?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rum wrote:
That isn't either/or.

He may however be creating jobs that no US citizen actually wants. I suppose there are some Mexicans and Haitians that might be prepared to do them at a price?
That kind of hits the nail on the head doesn't it? The web of interdependence is now so complex, supply chains so tangled that pulling at one thread can affect another somewhere else entirely - and possibly hurt you more than the people it is aimed at.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Rum wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Rum wrote:
That isn't either/or.

That kind of hits the nail on the head doesn't it? The web of interdependence is now so complex, supply chains so tangled that pulling at one thread can affect another somewhere else entirely - and possibly hurt you more than the people it is aimed at.
Being Trump, I have to assume it's just more corrupt crap that profits him or his family in some way. The greater good never seems to be served with this guy.

I guess that's a vote for twat. :lay:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:12 pm

The childish mind of Trump. American prices are high because of the arrogance of the 1% who think the world is waiting for American goods. It is like the Brexiteers claim: "They need us more than we need them". The world does not need American goods. It is a really a 'cut yoor nose to spite your face' job. He is a first grade twat.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Well, we need to use our military hardware before it begins to fall into disrepair we can do nothing about owing to our great financial difficulties. Thank god we've got Trump then! A more reasonable president would doom us all to poverty selling false hopes of new economies never to be realized in time. Empire!

--//--
I'm okay Rum, no really. :biggrin:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Well, we need to use our military hardware before it begins to fall into disrepair we can do nothing about owing to our great financial difficulties. Thank god we've got Trump then! A more reasonable president would doom us all to poverty selling false hopes of new economies never to be realized in time. Empire!

--//--
I'm okay Rum, no really. :biggrin:
:what:

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm

China:
“Especially given today’s globalisation, choosing a trade war is a mistaken prescription. The outcome will only be harmful,” the foreign minister said.

“China would have to make a justified and necessary response,” he said.

Wang said China had a long way to go on its path of modernisation, and that it “will not and need not displace the United States”.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:43 pm

There are hints that Oz will be exempt...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:03 pm

All it takes is Trump to be President, and suddenly the Left are all free traders.

Now, Democrats see NAFTA as sacrosanct and free trade deals as essential.

We are against tariffs. We have always been against tariffs.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar