On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: US 2018 November elections

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:07 am

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 am
Tero wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 am
"Third party voters are like someone drowning and rejecting a life preserver because it's not their color."
third party voters reject the whole 2 party system man... sure, bot the crazies and the dems are so entrenched it's like pissing in a fiddle, but voting for either of them is only comforting them in their positions... I reject the main parties in France and generally vote either null or canidates who have no chance of being actually elected, but I know what I'm doing, those lying pig dogs will never have my vote again, period.
I agree. Unless people embrace third party voting, you'll always have shit and shitter.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:04 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:57 pm
My morning paper had a screaming headline, "Blue Avalanche." The Dem's did well here in Colorado, winning governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, and Treasurer. They already had the State House, and picked up the State Senate. I'm sorry to see the current Secretary of State go, he's been doing a good job.

On balance, we passed initiatives to strip the Legislature of State and Federal redistricting power. That ought to be interesting.

Now, I guess we get to see what the Democrats do with the US House. Maybe, we'll finally see Trump's tax returns, if they decide to further lower the bar.

Oh, who am I kidding! Of course, they'll lower the bar. It's easier than lowering healthcare costs. :lay:
Yeah, I've considered moving to Colorado Springs. But you don't pay teachers very well. It's not the worst, but there are better. I wonder how your education is ranked? Missouri pays its teachers the least. Wasn't Trump huge there too? In fact, holy shit, the lowest paying states are Trump states. --huh
Yeah, our teacher pay is awful. It used to be better but funding cuts and declining enrollment have really taken their toll. It's too bad because this is a nice place to live.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:29 am

Teachers are always viewed suspiciously by politicians, because they may actually cause children to think... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:54 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:29 am
Teachers are always viewed suspiciously by politicians, because they may actually cause children to think... :tea:
And some of them carry weapons of maths instruction at all times. Even if they don't use them they know how to inflict grievous pain with a carefully aimed and forcefully thrown cream Pi.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 pm

”Wins by diverse candidates are stoking fears that more Americans willing to elect candidates who represent them.”
https://politics.theonion.com/key-takea ... HKsSO0fwX7
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm

JimC wrote:
Not in the US. Teachers and journalists tend to be, intellectually, on the approximately the level of used car salesmen. It's a crying shame, actually. Teachers in the high school level and below in the US are, for the most part, not in any position to cause anyone to think. They are trained to present material given to them. Hardly any have any background in "how" to think, because their education requirements to become a primary school teacher doesn't require (generally speaking) higher level mathematics, sciences, logic, grammar/structure of language, semantics, philosophy, rhetoric, classical coursework, history, geography, and the like.

There are, of course, exceptions, but if you go to any American high school and talk to the teachers, you aren't going to find brilliant thinkers. Hardly any of them have deep knowledge of core courses, and hardly any of them would understand basic logic.

It may be a defect peculiar to the American system.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Tero wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 pm
”Wins by diverse candidates are stoking fears that more Americans willing to elect candidates who represent them.”
https://politics.theonion.com/key-takea ... HKsSO0fwX7
As long as they are united against facism and madness.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm
JimC wrote:
Not in the US. Teachers and journalists tend to be, intellectually, on the approximately the level of used car salesmen. It's a crying shame, actually. Teachers in the high school level and below in the US are, for the most part, not in any position to cause anyone to think. They are trained to present material given to them. Hardly any have any background in "how" to think, because their education requirements to become a primary school teacher doesn't require (generally speaking) higher level mathematics, sciences, logic, grammar/structure of language, semantics, philosophy, rhetoric, classical coursework, history, geography, and the like.

There are, of course, exceptions, but if you go to any American high school and talk to the teachers, you aren't going to find brilliant thinkers. Hardly any of them have deep knowledge of core courses, and hardly any of them would understand basic logic.

Sure, it could be better. Some states have better requirements than others.

I wonder if this isn't just more of your teary eyed idealism though. I mean, you don't expect to find brilliant thinkers? Are you fucking high?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:04 pm

btw - the requirements in Texas: Bachelor's Degree, Complete an Educator Preparation Program (Where you learn that your job is definitely not to just pass on information), Pass certification exams, Submit a state application and finally complete a national criminal background check. Plus you have to student teach or do an internship.

To major in biology you're taking history, philosophy, math to calculus or higher if you can and want to, definitely biology up to genetics or another higher level option, chemistry, physic,s or geology, yadda, yadda.

Now, none of that makes for a brilliant thinker. Why should it? More importantly, why should a teacher have to be a brilliant thinker? Can you imagine some brilliant thinkers who might have been horrible teachers?

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:18 pm

It's not a particularly highly paid profession, average salary in Florida is about 50K. You get a bit of time off, and there's a good benefits and retirement package, so you'd have to factor that in. Also, Florida has lower average salaries across the board, you pay for the weather.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Yeah, you don't get into for the money.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:52 pm

I went to Clearwater High School way back in the day lak. :biggrin:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Just down the road from Pasco County, the Meth Capital of the World.

I worked in Houston for about 6 months, on contract to Enron.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 pm
JimC wrote:

Sure, it could be better. Some states have better requirements than others.

I wonder if this isn't just more of your teary eyed idealism though. I mean, you don't expect to find brilliant thinkers? Are you fucking high?
No, I don't expect to find brilliant thinkers. JimC apparently does.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Thinking back, I can remember one Mr. Hitchenson who taught me 10th grade history. His lectures on Hitler's 'orgasmic rhetorical style' were particularly good. He was intelligent, perceptive, knowledgeable, funny, and witty. He was also in his late 20s and quite good looking.