US 2018 November elections

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: US 2018 November elections

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:11 pm

what's weird is driving without your licence with you...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:11 pm
what's weird is driving without your licence with you...
Democrats say it's racist to require a license. Black people are less likely to be able to pass driving tests, they say.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm

If I had to bet I'd put my money on Republicans holding on. The Democrat base is just too fucking useless ie non-existent for all intents and purposes.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 pm
Śiva wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm
Allegedly the Russians are at it again...
Russian woman charged in first 2018 election meddling case

WASHINGTON — The U.S. accused a Russian woman on Friday of helping oversee the finances of a sweeping, secretive effort to sway American public opinion through social media in the first federal case alleging foreign interference in the 2018 midterm elections.

The criminal complaint against Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova alleges that Russians are using some of the same techniques to influence U.S. politics as they relied on ahead of the 2016 presidential election, methods laid bare by an investigation from special counsel Robert Mueller into possible co-ordination between Russia and Donald Trump’s campaign.

Justice Department prosecutors claim that Khusyaynova, of St. Petersburg, helped manage the finances of a hidden but powerful Russian social media effort aimed at spreading distrust for American political candidates and causing divisions on hot-button social issues like immigration and gun control.

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/ ... china-iran
Here's what the article says they're doing - "Russian social media effort aimed at spreading distrust for American political candidates and causing divisions on hot-button social issues like immigration and gun control."

So, no indication that they're pushing certain candidates - but, that's implied, of course, because everything Russian now is "pro Republican." Note the exact wording - a Russian MEDIA EFFORT which has the aim of "spreading distrust of American political candidates and causing divisions on hot button social issues..."

The Russians are supposedly interested in just making sure that Americans don't trust political candidates, and also are divided politically. And they're doing this through social media efforts.

What in the fucking Sam Hill does anyone plan to do about that? Are they saying that if a person in Mexico wants to put stuff on social media that indicates that Americans shouldn't trust political candidates (even specific ones), or that they should be pro or anti immigration, that there is something even remotely illegal about that? Is it just the Russians, or is it any country's citizenry that is not allowed to express opinions about divisive political issues?

What about the fucking caravan of 10,000 central americans carrying anti-Trump signs through Mexico and headed to the US? Are they "sowing division on hot button issues?" Are they "publishing stuff to create distrust in candidates?"

This shit is so much hogwash. If anyone can't see it for the political bullshit that it is - just a way to inject "The Russians are coming!" into the November election, they really aren't paying attention.

Man, if they can put someone in jail for "being Russian and posting social media messages causing distrust of political candidates and creating division on hot button issues" I think there is a seriously problematic issue - and that is the risk to all persons' right to express political opinions, no matter where you live or what you're on about. By the logic of this article, if I want to say that Teresa May is big fat cunt and you shouldn't trust her, I've just tried to fucking interfere with the next election in the UK.
I think you'll be okay Forty Two, unless the Russians are paying you. The article says the problem was she wasn't registered as a foreign agent.
The conduct singled out Friday runs afoul of criminal laws that bar foreign nationals from attempting to influence American elections or from engaging in political activities without first registering with the attorney general, prosecutors said.
It's better to just go read the indictment than rely on some reporter not to muck it up. :smoke:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:44 am

“We didn’t destroy healthcare!”
“We’ll give you a tax cut after the election!”
:funny:
"We're going to be putting in a 10 percent tax cut for middle-income families," Trump told supporters in Houston Monday. "It's going to be put in next week."

Whatever you might think of the merits of another tax cut, it's not going to happen next week as the president suggested. Congress is not even in session until after the election. Moreover, no one outside the White House seems to have much of an idea of what the president is talking about.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/23/65991765 ... n-tax-cuts
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm
If I had to bet I'd put my money on Republicans holding on. The Democrat base is just too fucking useless ie non-existent for all intents and purposes.
I’ve seen huge crowds in pussy hats. About the same as trumpeteers.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:21 am

Won't you be surprised then when the Republicans hold?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:10 pm

I think you'll be okay Forty Two, unless the Russians are paying you. The article says the problem was she wasn't registered as a foreign agent.
The conduct singled out Friday runs afoul of criminal laws that bar foreign nationals from attempting to influence American elections or from engaging in political activities without first registering with the attorney general, prosecutors said.
It's better to just go read the indictment than rely on some reporter not to muck it up. :smoke:
Even if the Russians were paying me, how can that limit my right to express my political opinions?

Do you think it clears it up to suggest there was a failure to register?

What about Mexican nationals who attempt to influence the election? What about Honduran nationals who attempt to influence the election?

This law is rather dangerous and appears to be facially unconstitutional.

If you do read the indictment, you'll see that Project Lakhta was or is an international effort, not just in the US, but Russian led groups "sowing discord and distrust in political candidates and political institutions" in many countries, not just the US.

I read the entire indictment. Nowhwere does it allege that somebody failed to register.

Read that thing. It's a recitation of a group of Russians who engaged in social media posting and facebook meme-ing. It can't be a serious indictment. If it is, then anyone who isn't an American citizen can be indicted for engaging in political discussion and debate on social media. Seriously - read that indictment - tell me what the Defendants being indicted are said to have done specifically. I know they say "interfere with the election" and "sow discord" -- but what I'm asking is for you to tell me what the indictment says these folks did, factually, that constitute a crime.

This is a very concerning indictment, as it would criminalize, say, a humanitarian group criticizing American political candidates or the American political system, as that would be "sowing discord and distrust in the political system and candidates."

In the run up to the election, foreign born persons from Britain, France, Australia, Canada, Mexico, the world over, publish memes just like the ones in the indictment - and they express support for, opposition to and distrust of American political leaders, candidates and systems.

What about the "abolish ICE" movement? Are only Americans allowed to say that on social media? Is it a fraud against the United States for a foreign group to pay people to push an agenda that includes sowing distrust in ICE?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Tero wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm
I’ve seen huge crowds in pussy hats. About the same as trumpeteers.
Where?

Every pussy hat worn causes two independents to vote for Trump. The pussy hat crowd is not very well respected in the mainstream of the American electorate.

But, the likelihood is the Democrats will take the House. Due to the gerrymandering of districts, the Representatives up for election are more often than not in districts where the Democrats hold a majority. That makes it very hard for Republicans to hold those particular seats, unless Democrats switch. The GOP hope is in independents, and blacks/hispanics who go Kanye/Owens this election. But it is highly unlikely.

I cross my fingers for all of our sakes that the Democrats don't take the House. Two years of an impeachment drumbeat and constant bleating about socializing everything, and the inevitable claim that now the Warren wing of the Democrat party has some "mandate" to seize large corporations and control their boards of directors is going to be very disheartening.

We are on the right path. A strong economy. A strong military. A strong border. Lower taxes. Lower regulations. Better trade. Increasing manufacturing. Increasing business and industry. Low employment. High labor participation.

I beg every voter out there. Don't turn back now.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Trickle Down Economics
Trickle Down Economic
Trickle Down Economi
Trickle Down Econom
Trickle Down Econo
Trickle Down Econ
Trickle Down Eco
Trickle Down Ec
Trickle Down E
Trickle Dow
Trickle Do
Trickle D
Trickle
Trickl
Trick

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm

It all depends on where you draw the trickle line. People like me are doing a lot better than we were, and I'm not a 1%er. Barely a 50%er at this point. But if your only qualifications are a HS degree and the ability to run a cash register then that trickle might only be a dribble.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:54 pm

It's also a complete misrepresentation of what "trickle down" means in supply side economics. The theory is that a lower tax rate on businesses would foster economic growth overall, which would benefit consumers by having more goods and services at lower prices, and more jobs available, etc. It doesn't mean "give a bunch of money to the rich and they will dole it out to the poor." That's the mischaracterization the Leftists want to sell.

Look at how the Left is reacting to Trump's tariffs nowadays. They say "you can't increase tariffs! No! If you do that, that will just make products more expensive and harm the consumers!" Yet, they think raising the income tax doesn't also raise prices and harm the consumers. Maybe it's just because Trump is suggesting the tariff increases, and you know, "orange man bad."

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:56 pm
The data do not show that "voter suppression is widespread." What kind of horseshit is that?

Voter suppression isn't even a clearly defined term. Some factions out there think that requiring people to register to vote is "suppression," and others say that the black vote is "suppressed" if a requirement show some form of ID at the polls is required.

This is the kind of crap that the Left routinely vomits: My political view is a "fact." Therefore, you can't argue with my political view.