US 2018 November elections

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: US 2018 November elections

Post by laklak » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm
What's the skinny on all the "Kill the Boer" stuff? I mean, if it was "Kill the Bore" you might have to worry, but still... :biggrin:
None of that stuff happening in eSwatini. There was never apartheid there, for one thing, and here's no tribal conflict since they're pretty much all Swazis. There's no white farmer class that owns the land, every Swazi gets free land from the King, and there are no political parties. Sometimes living under an absolute monarchy has it's advantages. The Brits never tore them apart like they did in their other colonies, and they kept their Swazi monarchy and traditional legal structures. It's a pretty laid back place, and they've got really good weed.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

laklak

Post by laklak » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:00 pm
Yeah, but we're better than they are lak, or we're supposed to be. :biggrin:
You'd think all those worldly, ennui ridden Europeans would know better then to believe the bullshit, wouldn't you?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:48 am

Another 340,000 voters purged from Georgia election polls:

GOP candidate improperly purged 340,000 from Georgia voter rolls, investigation claims
New analysis is latest voting rights controversy in race pitting secretary of state Brian Kemp against Democrat Stacey Abrams
What a great democracy.

Thats almost four times the amount the Russians moved to get Trump elected.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Allegedly the Russians are at it again...
Russian woman charged in first 2018 election meddling case

WASHINGTON — The U.S. accused a Russian woman on Friday of helping oversee the finances of a sweeping, secretive effort to sway American public opinion through social media in the first federal case alleging foreign interference in the 2018 midterm elections.

The criminal complaint against Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova alleges that Russians are using some of the same techniques to influence U.S. politics as they relied on ahead of the 2016 presidential election, methods laid bare by an investigation from special counsel Robert Mueller into possible co-ordination between Russia and Donald Trump’s campaign.

Justice Department prosecutors claim that Khusyaynova, of St. Petersburg, helped manage the finances of a hidden but powerful Russian social media effort aimed at spreading distrust for American political candidates and causing divisions on hot-button social issues like immigration and gun control.

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/ ... china-iran

laklak

Post by laklak » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:44 pm

If you're so fucking stupid that a facebook post will change your political position then you're far too stupid to be entrusted with the vote.

The problem with the U.S. isn't too little democracy, it's too much.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Yeah, but in the last few years they've been infiltrated by agents of the Comintern... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Śiva wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

WASHINGTON — The U.S. accused a Russian woman on Friday of helping oversee the finances of a sweeping, secretive effort to sway American public opinion through social media in the first federal case alleging foreign interference in the 2018 midterm elections.

The criminal complaint against Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova alleges that Russians are using some of the same techniques to influence U.S. politics as they relied on ahead of the 2016 presidential election, methods laid bare by an investigation from special counsel Robert Mueller into possible co-ordination between Russia and Donald Trump’s campaign.

Justice Department prosecutors claim that Khusyaynova, of St. Petersburg, helped manage the finances of a hidden but powerful Russian social media effort aimed at spreading distrust for American political candidates and causing divisions on hot-button social issues like immigration and gun control.

Here's what the article says they're doing - "Russian social media effort aimed at spreading distrust for American political candidates and causing divisions on hot-button social issues like immigration and gun control."

So, no indication that they're pushing certain candidates - but, that's implied, of course, because everything Russian now is "pro Republican." Note the exact wording - a Russian MEDIA EFFORT which has the aim of "spreading distrust of American political candidates and causing divisions on hot button social issues..."

The Russians are supposedly interested in just making sure that Americans don't trust political candidates, and also are divided politically. And they're doing this through social media efforts.

What in the fucking Sam Hill does anyone plan to do about that? Are they saying that if a person in Mexico wants to put stuff on social media that indicates that Americans shouldn't trust political candidates (even specific ones), or that they should be pro or anti immigration, that there is something even remotely illegal about that? Is it just the Russians, or is it any country's citizenry that is not allowed to express opinions about divisive political issues?

What about the fucking caravan of 10,000 central americans carrying anti-Trump signs through Mexico and headed to the US? Are they "sowing division on hot button issues?" Are they "publishing stuff to create distrust in candidates?"

This shit is so much hogwash. If anyone can't see it for the political bullshit that it is - just a way to inject "The Russians are coming!" into the November election, they really aren't paying attention.

Man, if they can put someone in jail for "being Russian and posting social media messages causing distrust of political candidates and creating division on hot button issues" I think there is a seriously problematic issue - and that is the risk to all persons' right to express political opinions, no matter where you live or what you're on about. By the logic of this article, if I want to say that Teresa May is big fat cunt and you shouldn't trust her, I've just tried to fucking interfere with the next election in the UK.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 pm

laklak wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:44 pm
If you're so fucking stupid that a facebook post will change your political position then you're far too stupid to be entrusted with the vote.

Remember lack, if you try to get Frenchmen to stop trusting French candidates for French political office, you're committing the crime of "interfering in the French elections...."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 pm
laklak wrote:

Remember lack, if you try to get Frenchmen to stop trusting French candidates for French political office, you're committing the crime of "interfering in the French elections...."
No political canidate, regardless of nationality, is worthy of trust.

All politicos are shifty bastards, when they are not complet dick heads and utter sleazeballs.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 pm
Śiva wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Here's what the article says they're doing - "Russian social media effort aimed at spreading distrust for American political candidates and causing divisions on hot-button social issues like immigration and gun control."

So, no indication that they're pushing certain candidates - but, that's implied, of course, because everything Russian now is "pro Republican." Note the exact wording - a Russian MEDIA EFFORT which has the aim of "spreading distrust of American political candidates and causing divisions on hot button social issues..."

The Russians are supposedly interested in just making sure that Americans don't trust political candidates, and also are divided politically. And they're doing this through social media efforts.

What in the fucking Sam Hill does anyone plan to do about that? Are they saying that if a person in Mexico wants to put stuff on social media that indicates that Americans shouldn't trust political candidates (even specific ones), or that they should be pro or anti immigration, that there is something even remotely illegal about that? Is it just the Russians, or is it any country's citizenry that is not allowed to express opinions about divisive political issues?

What about the fucking caravan of 10,000 central americans carrying anti-Trump signs through Mexico and headed to the US? Are they "sowing division on hot button issues?" Are they "publishing stuff to create distrust in candidates?"

This shit is so much hogwash. If anyone can't see it for the political bullshit that it is - just a way to inject "The Russians are coming!" into the November election, they really aren't paying attention.

Man, if they can put someone in jail for "being Russian and posting social media messages causing distrust of political candidates and creating division on hot button issues" I think there is a seriously problematic issue - and that is the risk to all persons' right to express political opinions, no matter where you live or what you're on about. By the logic of this article, if I want to say that Teresa May is big fat cunt and you shouldn't trust her, I've just tried to fucking interfere with the next election in the UK.
You hit the nail on the head there. I've been saying the same thing for some time now.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 pm
laklak wrote:

No political canidate, regardless of nationality, is worthy of trust.

All politicos are shifty bastards, when they are not complet dick heads and utter sleazeballs.
You have now engaged in a social media effort designed to sow distrust and create division in our elections. Off to the gulag with you.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 am

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:52 am

There's a difference between civility and PC. there's no intended insult in calling a diabled people a cripple, or blind, or whatever... 'differently abled' is stupid.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping