The gender gap

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

The gender gap

Post by mistermack » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Should people be paid for the type of work they do, or the VALUE of the work they do?

Women football players do the same job as men. But nobody wants to watch it.
The top men are paid millions because millions want to watch them.

Should Arsenal pay women footballers similar rates as men?

Should they bollocks. :funny:

Tennis is ludicrous. The women at Wimbledon get the same as men, even though they don't pull in the same crowds. And they only play best of three, not five.
They are subsidised by the men. Is it equality, for one sex to have to subsidise the other?
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The gender gap

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:47 am

I agree. It's fucking sport. The purpose of sport is to entertain with the best skills and strength etc. Put an elite women's football team against an elite men's football team, and the result will be spectacularly one sided every time. Yet they expect to get paid the same. It's ridiculous. Not least because a lot of the prize money comes from commercial advertising, which relies on the numbers of people actually watching the event.

I also think women's tennis needs to move to 5 sets. Not least because it will largely see the end of un-athletic competitors like Serena Williams. But more importantly it will make women's tennis interesting again. A women's tennis match is usually over by the first set. Most of them only go two sets. They are mostly a yawn-fest.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 am

In professional jobs like teaching and health, a given position is paid the same for women and men, as of course it should. The statistical differential, even in professions like this, seems (from what I've read) to be down to 2 main factors (with others possible, of course)

1. The whole time off for being a mum thing

2. A tendency for women (not all, just statistically) to not push as hard as men in the career enhancement stakes

I have no idea how this could be addressed...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 am

Our courts nearly bankrupted the City of Birmingham with a retrospective decision that female workers like school dinner ladies should have been paid the same as men like rubbish collectors and landscapers etc.

Never mind that the work is totally different, or that the work for men was of a much more physical arduous nature. It's a blow for equality, by pretending that jobs that are not equal, ARE equal.

The bill for Birmingham will probably top a billion. It's a gigantic figure for a city. Of course, they were idiots not to see it coming years ago. It's a Labour council, and they do have highly paid civil servants advising them.
I'd like to know if they got any advice about it prior to the case.

It's actually indirectly connected to the European courts though. For years now, our courts have been working with the knowledge that any decision they make will be taken further, and overturned, if it's not politically correct enough. They don't like that, so they adjust their decisions according to what they think the European court would do.

Get us out Theresa. Don't piss about.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

The thing with the Birmingham case is that council workers on the same grade were paid differently according to their gender, not the work they undertook. The assumption that preparing, cooking, and serving meals to schoolchildren is less important or demanding that refuse collection is moot.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 pm

I employ only women.
They work harder and earn more.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:18 pm

And they smell nice... like mummy.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:58 pm

pErvinalia wrote:I agree. It's fucking sport. The purpose of sport is to entertain with the best skills and strength etc. Put an elite women's football team against an elite men's football team, and the result will be spectacularly one sided every time.
You don't have to to an elite men's squad. The US women's soccer team is among the best in the world. They lost a scrimmage to an U-15 boy's team.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:01 pm

JimC wrote:In professional jobs like teaching and health, a given position is paid the same for women and men, as of course it should. The statistical differential, even in professions like this, seems (from what I've read) to be down to 2 main factors (with others possible, of course)

2. A tendency for women (not all, just statistically) to not push as hard as men in the career enhancement stakes

3. women have a tendency to choose different careers/jobs than men - which is why you'll still see the secretaries at various offices being mostly women, school teachers are mostly women, etc., and engineers, coal miners, construction workers, etc. are mostly men.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:The thing with the Birmingham case is that council workers on the same grade were paid differently according to their gender, not the work they undertook. The assumption that preparing, cooking, and serving meals to schoolchildren is less important or demanding that refuge collection is moot.
I don't believe that they were on the same grade at the time. The grading came later.

In any case, if you work for an agreed wage, that should be it. You always have the option of leaving.
Did the council have the option of taking back the overpaid money from the men? No, it only works one way.
A deal is a deal, in that case. As it should be.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:46 pm

mistermack wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:The thing with the Birmingham case is that council workers on the same grade were paid differently according to their gender, not the work they undertook. The assumption that preparing, cooking, and serving meals to schoolchildren is less important or demanding that refuge collection is moot.
I don't believe that they were on the same grade at the time. The grading came later.

In any case, if you work for an agreed wage, that should be it. You always have the option of leaving.
Did the council have the option of taking back the overpaid money from the men? No, it only works one way.
A deal is a deal, in that case. As it should be.
Never let the facts get in the way of reactionary prejudices eh?

They were actually on the same grades. The dispute was over the fact that some workers (for example bin men) were able to gain overtime, bonuses and so on which boosted they wages.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Rum wrote:They were actually on the same grades
They were EVENTUALLY put on the same grades. But with a different bonus system. The people who put them on that grade obviously took the bonus system into account when placing them on that grade.

The award goes back to way before the grading was done in any case.

It's a joke. Salaries should be arrived at like any market commodity. Supply and demand. If there's a waiting list for a job, they are paying too much. If they can't recruit or retain staff, they need to pay more.

That's what works in the real world. Not that local government needs to worry about the real world. Their customers don't have a choice.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Well I've tried to get to the bottom of it reading around the topic. It isn't easy as it happens. But basically it seems that the council were awarding compensation on an ad hoc basis to female workers who claimed they had lost out because of lack of equal pay, They were required by the rules to claim within six months of leaving their jobs with Brum council. The actual law suit concerned extending the period allowed for claiming from 6 months to several years. Once that was settled it opened up the gates for other women to claim.

So the council had already accepted the principle that this group of women had effectively been underpaid compared to their male counterparts. The timing of the appeals was the key issue.

The 'grading' issue is part of the mix. All councils were required to go through that process around 2007/8 (roughly as I recall) - I had to.

The basic issue of the women having been paid less than men and that this was 'unfair' was not questioned it seems. Nor should it have been.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:In professional jobs like teaching and health, a given position is paid the same for women and men, as of course it should. The statistical differential, even in professions like this, seems (from what I've read) to be down to 2 main factors (with others possible, of course)

3. women have a tendency to choose different careers/jobs than men - which is why you'll still see the secretaries at various offices being mostly women, school teachers are mostly women, etc., and engineers, coal miners, construction workers, etc. are mostly men.
Your "3" might be true, but it's irrelevant to my points, which were purely about comparing gender differences in pay (especially over a lifetime) within the same profession. One consequence often overlooked is in superannuation (you may not have the same system in the US) Women frequently take of several years of their working life as maternity leave, only part of it paid, so at the end of their employment, their superannuation fund can have a lot less money than a male, even given identical salaries. This particularly hits separated women when they retire...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Nor does '3.' acknowledge that there are structural and social/political/gender issues around why women occupy some roles and men others.