Active shooter?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Active shooter?

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Well, the problem I see it with intepretations of Trump's words is the failure to listen to distinctions in what he says.

For example, the media jumped on him when he said he had not denied that "Russia" or "Russians" had meddled in the election. They cited his statement that he looked into Putin's eyes and believed Putin when Putin said that Putin had not been behind the meddling. Note the difference there. Russia or Russians could be involved without Putin himself being involved - plainly that's a clear possibility. The indictment from Mueller did not involve Putin or anybody in Putin's inner circle. It was a bunch of rich moguls in Russia funding some activities. But the media take his statement of taking Putin at his words that "I" didn't have anything to do with it, to mean that no Russians had anything to do with it.

The same is true of the gun issue. Trump is a Republican, Republicans are pro-Second Amendment, and Trump said he was super-pro Second Amendment, therefore Trump must hold the most extreme NRA-conservative position. However, Trump never espoused that extreme NRA position. He espoused, for years and years, a more nuanced position. But that now "comes as a surprise" to the media, because they deal in absolutes of interpretation. He's either pro-Second Amendment, or a traitor to the Second Amendment, because that's what the two extremes of the argument say.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Trump says he can get gun control done - GOP must stop being petrified of NRA - https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vbp ... of-the-nra
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Even a modest change or two could save some lives, and the American Realpolitik is such that only very modest changes will make it through...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:57 pm

The Florida Senate has passed a bill that 1) raises the age of purchase to 21 for all guns 2) adds a 3 day waiting period to all gun sales (not just handguns as it is currently) 3) outlaws bump stocks 4) allows armed school personnel, on a voluntary basis, only in counties where the Sheriff deems it necessary, and requires 144 hours of tactical training.

The bill is now being debated in the State House of Reps.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 pm

I think that's a really positive proposal.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm

laklak wrote: and requires 144 hours of tactical training.
:funny:

To buy a gun on the other hand requires

1) The money
2) . .

That's pretty much it.

Anyway, most gun nuts would LOVE to do 144 hours of tactical wanking.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:19 pm

That will be the next step. School teacher becomes popular job for gun fanatics.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Cops in schools. A hand gun and a walkie talkie:
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/08/59175388 ... them-safer

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 pm

mistermack wrote: Anyway, most gun nuts would LOVE to do 144 hours of tactical wanking.
Nah, I ain't wastin' 3 1/2 weeks of my drinking time, I'll jes shoot the motherfuckers and feed 'em to the gators.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am

I'm not sure that being the designated gun-nut teacher would be all that popular.

If I was a loony kid, bent on carnage, I would soon find out which teachers carried guns, and shoot them first without warning to kick off the row. Same with cops. You could walk right up to them and blow their brains out from behind.

The thought of that might make a few of them nervous. But then, a nervous gun-nut carrying a gun in a room full of kids. What could possibly go wrong? Kids hardly ever mess about.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

Dutch school massacres are the best

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Where's the massacre?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 pm

The best part is that there is none.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:39 am

The Colorado Senate doubles down on concealed carry of guns.
Senate votes to let Coloradans carry concealed guns without a permit

The Colorado Senate gave a narrow passage to "constitutional carry" - carrying a concealed weapon without a permit - Thursday morning, one of the last gun bills filed so far this session.

The Republican legislation likely faces the same outcome other gun bills have received in the Democratic - led House: Certain defeat.

Senate Bill 97 passed the upper chamber, 18-17.

Sen. Jerry Sonnenberg, R-Sterling, called the permit a "coat tax," since it's already legal to carry a side arm, but if a person puts on a coat, they must get a permit, undergo a background check and taking a training course - costs that could add up to hundreds of dollars.

"It's a tax to carry a gun I can already constitutionally carry," he said,

Democrats said that doing away with the training requirement was a big part of their reason for opposing it. They made the same argument in a floor debate last week.

Sen. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora, said none of her constituents have asked for this, and she believes only a small number of Coloradans support it. The training helps ensure people carrying weapons know how to act legally and responsibly, she said

"It's not good for Colorado, and no one is asking for this," she said.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake