Active shooter?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Active shooter?

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:You are as bad as forty two.
Look, Dutchy. Calm down. The number I gave - 4.2 per 100,000 is from the official numbers for the nation as a whole, and related to gun homicides. Your figures, based on the text you posted, was related to the worst of several major cities and related to homicides in general, including every other kind of homicide, not just gun homicides. I posted a link above which takes you to the stats for the US, by state, for gun homicides, and listed them. Those are the numbers, not yours. You are wrong. That's o.k.

But, this "you are as bad as forty two" nonsense is just ridiculous. Do you even read your own posts? You are massively insulting, and you accused me of cherry picking (which I did not, I gave the national statistic which takes into account the best and the worst rates of gun homicide) and then you went on to cherry pick 5 cities, and accuse the national statistic of being wrong. Do you not see how that's incorrect?

Scot Dutchy wrote: It is the geographic situation of America that warps the figures. To use the whole of the country always shows America in a far better light. Concentrate on the conurbations not the deserts.
That's ridiculous. The "rate" is by population. It doesn't fold in 0 for areas of desert with no population. It's a rate per 100,000. You can see that nationally, and see that by state.

Yes, major cities in the US are the biggest problem, and that is an important and salient point that you make. When the vast majority of gun homicides are concentrated in gang/drug/crime areas of Washington DC, New Orleans, St. Louis, Baltimore, and a few other cities, it means that THOSE numbers are skewing the overall number up. I.e., if we could stop the gun homicides, or significantly reduce them in those areas of US cities, then we could solve a large portion of the gun violence.

Obviously the problem is not the hunters in Oakland, Washtenaw, Macomb, and suburban Wayne Counties in Michigan that are not trustworthy with guns - you won't reduce gun crime by taking away their semiautomatic hunting rifle. It's the inner city gangs/organized crime which murder people like flies over territory, drugs, robberies, and rackets. That is a very relevant point. You will reduce gun crime by taking away their guns of choice -- the handguns.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Tero wrote:1 walk into Wal Mart
2 buy gun

Registration not allowed:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Florida
Here is a clearer recitation of how to buy guns in Florida - http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FPP/FAQs2.aspx

I'm going to go out to Dick's Sporting Goods this afternoon and buy this cannon: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/tr ... &rrec=true

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

So we've got Scot cherry picking the urban areas, and Forty Two cherry picking the rural areas. Oy vey. :bored:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Can I cherry-pick the Commuter Belt, please?!?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Your presidents don't cherry pick.

They just cut down the whole fucking tree!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Trump's solution to school shootings? Make teachers into a paramilitary force!
:doh:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 pm

For those who haven't come across Emma Gonzales' speech at the Parkland memorial gathering I urge you to put 10mins aside...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:For those who haven't come across Emma Gonzales' speech at the Parkland memorial gathering I urge you to put 10mins aside...

Of course, the right-wing wackos and Russobots are spreading propaganda that says that she and her classmates are "crisis actors" who are being paid by Demoncrats in order to turn the nation against their god-given right to bear arms.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 am

NineBerry wrote:Can I cherry-pick the Commuter Belt, please?!?
I'm going to cherry-pick cherry trees. Yum! :food:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 am

What did the Florida State government do while these kids were demonstrating?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Insane mass shooters should not have AR-15s. But all NRA members should have one. Because:evil government! And good guys shooting AR-15s into hotel window in Vegas couldhave done ...something.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/politics ... index.html

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Trump. "A ‘gun free’ school is a magnet for bad people." :doh:

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Seabass wrote:So we've got Scot cherry picking the urban areas, and Forty Two cherry picking the rural areas. Oy vey. :bored:
I did not cherry pick any areas. The 4.2 per 100,000 is the rate for the entire nation published by the US CDC. That does not "cherry pick" as both the urban and rural areas - 100% -- coast to coast -- of the US population is represented in that statistic. I also broke the numbers down by State -- going state by state and publishing the numbers. Those numbers, too, do not "cherry pick" rural areas because the numbers include both rural and urban areas in each state. The entirety of each state's population is represented.

Dutchy, on the other hand was doing two things: (a) he was listing states for total homicides, and not limiting his stats to "gun" homicides (mine were for gun homicides), and (b) he was, by definition, cherry picking because he listed five of the worst cities in the US for homicides and said those were the real numbers.

If you would care to explain how in the world I "cherry picked" anything, please do.

Thanks.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

NRA head lashes out at gun control advocates: 'They hate individual freedom'

The NRA doesn't represent individual freedom, it represents corporate profit.
:doh:

Does Emma Gonzales hate individual freedom or just being strafed with automatic weapons in her classroom?

Frank Zappa