Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Joe

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:47 pm

I'd say the latter. After, all, evidence and logic are only so valid. A really strongly expressed opinion is what's important. Repetition is important too.
Last edited by Joe on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 pm

Much of his lying appears indistinguishable from pathological confabulation. Without FOX & Friends to excuse him and back him up he'd probably be in a home by now.

:tea:

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 pm

One word: Contrafibularity.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 pm

The shit keeps giving.

Paul Manafort associate who worked with Cambridge Analytica charged
Sam Patten has been charged with failing to register as a foreign agent in the US
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:47 pm

That's where Boris and Natasha kept getting it wrong - they forgot to register as foreign agents! :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:52 am

Manafort associate paid Trump inauguration $50,000 in Ukrainian cash
Sam Patten pleads guilty under Foreign Agents Registration Act
Republican once worked with Cambridge Analytica

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:10 am

Foreign agents must register in the US? I thought the point was that they should be secret agents.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:23 pm

That's to lobby. You don't have to register to steal our secrets and compromise our national security.

Just don't get caught. :ninja:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Śiva wrote:One word: Contrafibularity.
I shall deal with that interfrastically.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:30 am

More material for Trump sycophants to sneer at. Note that the link is to a New Yorker article. The New Yorker allows a limited number of free articles per month, after which a paywall is triggered.

'How Russia Helped Swing the Election for Trump'
Few people, including Trump’s opponents, have publicly challenged the widespread belief that no obtainable evidence can prove that Russian interference changed any votes. Democrats, for the most part, have avoided attributing Hillary Clinton’s defeat directly to Russian machinations. They have more readily blamed James Comey, the former F.B.I. director, for reversing Clinton’s thin lead in the final days of the campaign by reopening a criminal investigation into her mishandling of classified e-mails. Many have also expressed frustration with Clinton’s weak performance as a candidate, and with her campaign’s tactical errors. Instead of investigating whether Russia tipped the electoral scales on its own, they’ve focussed on the possibility that Trump colluded with Russia, and that this, along with other crimes, might be exposed by the probe being conducted by the special counsel, Robert Mueller.

Politicians may be too timid to explore the subject, but a new book from, of all places, Oxford University Press promises to be incendiary. “Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President—What We Don’t, Can’t, and Do Know,” by Kathleen Hall Jamieson, a professor of communications at the University of Pennsylvania, dares to ask—and even attempts to answer—whether Russian meddling had a decisive impact in 2016. Jamieson offers a forensic analysis of the available evidence and concludes that Russia very likely delivered Trump’s victory.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:13 pm

There is nothing that can be done to stop Russian trolls. People in the world, whether in England or Germany or Russia or China or Australia are allowed to post on social media. They are allowed to have blogs. They are allowed to publish and speak and make videos and the like. If Russia created a crack team of 10,000 social media experts who created accounts and all were out there to, while engaged in otherwise perfectly legal publishing activities, tip the scales in favor of Hillary Clinton, the more stable, peaceful candidate -- what would be proposed to do about it?

And, "hackers?" If the hackers disclose truthful, but damaging information, is that really a bad thing? Reverse the roles - what if Trump's campaign had a dumpload of emails released, and it revealed dirty tricks, lies, and proved that Trump committed campaign finance violations by the millions and paid of 50 strippers and hookers to keep quiet using undisclosed campaign funds. The hacking might still be criminal, but would anyone be complaining about learning the truth?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Did you read the article?

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 am

Yep 80,000 votes over three states was all that was required. Simple.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:21 pm

No more cold war! Trump has successfully brought the US and Russia together as friends! The only US president in history to do that! Not only that, he has exposed Canada and European countries as the evil that has plagued the American public since forever! A win for Trump!
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.