Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:02 am

Last year Twitter announced it had shut down approximately 200 accounts operated by the 'troll farm' in Russia that had been working to influence the US election. Turns out there were actually well over 3,000 such accounts.

'Massive Twitter data release sheds light on Russia’s Trump strategy'
Twitter on Wednesday released a trove of 10 million tweets it says represents the full scope of foreign influence operations on the platform dating back nearly a decade — including Russia's consistent efforts to disparage Hillary Clinton and an initially erratic approach to Donald Trump that eventually settled on a concerted pro-Trump message during the 2016 campaign.

The huge data cache consists of tweets from some 3,400 accounts tied to the Kremlin troll farm known as the Internet Research Agency and 770 others linked to Iran. It also includes some 2 million GIFs, videos and other pieces of visual content. Twitter said it's making the information available to "enable independent academic research and investigation," according to a company blog post.

The Russian tweets around the 2016 presidential election showed distinct patterns when it came to Clinton and Trump, according to researchers at the nonpartisan Atlantic Council's Digital Forensic Research Lab, which has been scouring the data since late last week.

While the Clinton animus was clear from the start, it took the IRA awhile to settle on its Trump strategy, as the Republican primary played out.
Few will be surprised to learn that the 'troll farm' is still busy.

'Russian charged with conspiring to interfere in U.S. congressional elections'
The U.S. government on Friday charged a Russian national with playing a key financial role in a Kremlin-backed plan to conduct “information warfare” against the United States, including ongoing attempts to influence next month’s congressional elections.

Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova, 44, became the first person charged with a crime for attempting to interfere in the 2018 U.S. midterm elections, according to a government official with knowledge of the investigation.

Khusyaynova was the chief accountant for Project Lakhta, an operation started in 2014 and financed by a Russian oligarch close to Russian President Vladimir Putin and two companies he controls, according to a criminal complaint.

The oligarch, Evgeny Viktorovich Prigozhin, and his two companies were indicted in February in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s separate investigation of alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election to boost eventual winner Donald Trump over his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton.

The case against Khusyaynova was unsealed on the same day that U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies issued a warning about attempts by Russia, China, Iran and other foreign entities to interfere with Nov. 6 congressional elections, in which Trump’s Republicans are trying to maintain majority power in Congress, and national elections in 2020.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 am

More Russia hysteria from the deranged climate mob. Everyone messes with everyone else's elections. So what? Funny how no one care before Trump.

:wing-nut:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Jacob Wohl has earned ridicule for his ham-handed attempts at propaganda via hipster coffee shop whispers. Now he's using similarly transparent and pathetically inept methods to promote the Mueller sexual harassment smear job.
Wohl declined to comment on his involvement with Surefire Intelligence. However, his email is listed in the domain records for Surefire Intelligence's website and calls to a number listed on the Surefire Intelligence website went to a voicemail message which provided another phone number, listed in public records as belonging to Wohl's mother.
'Jacob Wohl, call your office! Check out the "staff" behind Surefire Intelligence [pics]'
The funniest part of the whole thing is that Wohl clearly put in quite a bit of effort to create this huge network of fake people and companies, but not enough effort for all those fakes to withstand minimal scrutiny.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 pm

It's just like lying for Jesus ain't it?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:33 am

CAN WHITAKER FIRE MUELLER?
The special counsel regulation under which Mueller was appointed gives the attorney general or acting attorney general authority to fire Mueller only for “good cause,” such as misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity or conflict of interest.

If Whitaker decided to fire Mueller, he would need to inform the special counsel in writing of the specific reason for his termination.

Good cause is a difficult thing to show, especially since Mueller’s actions were approved by the deputy attorney general, said Jens Ohlin, a professor of criminal law at Cornell Law School.

“I don’t think Whitaker has good cause to fire Mueller. He would have to Trump up some charges,” Ohlin said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1ND00S
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:24 pm

This particular amphibian is a known purveyor of nonsense and lies, but for what it's worth:

'Special counsel witness expects to be charged in Mueller probe'
[Jerome Corsi] The former Infowars Washington bureau chief, who recently testified before a federal grand jury in special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, tells ABC News that after two months of closed-door talks with investigators, the special counsel has now indicated he will be charged in within a matter of days.

“I don’t know what they’re going to charge me with,” said Jerome Corsi, who until recently served as the Washington, D.C., bureau chief for the controversial far-right media outlet Infowars, in an interview with ABC News on Monday.
(Click on image to see original.)

These shitheels all like to throw around the term 'perjury trap' and in every such instance it is no such thing. If you lie to federal investigators like the FBI during the course of an investigation, you're not the victim of a perjury trap--you've perjured yourself, full stop.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:24 pm
This particular amphibian is a known purveyor of nonsense and lies, but for what it's worth:

'Special counsel witness expects to be charged in Mueller probe'
[Jerome Corsi] The former Infowars Washington bureau chief, who recently testified before a federal grand jury in special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, tells ABC News that after two months of closed-door talks with investigators, the special counsel has now indicated he will be charged in within a matter of days.

“I don’t know what they’re going to charge me with,” said Jerome Corsi, who until recently served as the Washington, D.C., bureau chief for the controversial far-right media outlet Infowars, in an interview with ABC News on Monday.
(Click on image to see original.)

These shitheels all like to throw around the term 'perjury trap' and in every such instance it is no such thing. If you lie to federal investigators like the FBI during the course of an investigation, you're not the victim of a perjury trap--you've perjured yourself, full stop.
My avatar takes issue with your slur on amphibians! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Amphibians. They begin life aquatic, and later become terrestrial. And wouldn't you know it, now they all want to hang out in terrestrial bathrooms. And the Demoncrats, what with their gay liberal amphibian agenda and all, are just fine with it! :nono:

It's aginst god's law, gall dern preverts! :cranky:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:57 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm
My avatar takes issue with your slur on amphibians! :lay:
My apologies to Amphibia everywhere. :(

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 am

Accepted! :tup:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Robert Mueller is seeking more information about Nigel Farage for his investigation into Russian interference in US politics, according to a target of the inquiry who expects to be criminally charged.

Jerome Corsi, a conservative author, said prosecutors working for Mueller questioned him about Farage, the key campaigner behind Britain’s vote to leave the European Union, two weeks ago in Washington.

Corsi said investigators for the special counsel also pressed him for information on Ted Malloch, a London-based American academic with ties to Farage, who informally advised Donald Trump and was interviewed by FBI agents earlier this year.

“They asked about both Nigel and Ted Malloch, I can affirm that they did,” Corsi told the Guardian on Tuesday. “But I’m really not going into detail because I respect the special counsel and the legal process.”

Mueller’s interest in Farage comes amid questions in the UK about whether Russia attempted to influence the June 2016 vote to leave the European Union, and Brexit’s most vocal political supporters.

A spokesman for Farage said of Corsi’s allegations: “This is ill-informed, intentionally malicious gossip and wholly untrue.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... _clipboard
Ribbit! Image
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 am

Oppressive juggernaut Facebook with electronic jackboots unfairly stomping on face of righteous Russian news outlet. :lay:

'Russian Trolls Sue Facebook, Their Old Propaganda Machine'
Facebook has for years been an open sewer for state-backed propagandists and their unwitting allies to disseminate lies and posture as trusted news sources. And a year after Facebook belatedly attempted to slam the grate shut on the Russian troll farm known as the Internet Research Agency, the St. Petersburg-based trolls are taking the social-media giant to court.

A corporate twin of the infamous IRA [Internet Research Agency aka 'troll farm'], calling itself the Federal Agency of News (FAN), filed suit in a northern California federal court on Tuesday demanding that judges force Facebook to restore its account. The Russian outlet insisted it’s merely “an independent, authentic and legitimate news agency.” And it made an argument likely to discomfort Facebook and attract support from the far right: it’s a free speech martyr unfairly victimized by the 21st century discourse’s digital gatekeepers.

FAN and the IRA are key components of Russia’s state-backed propaganda machine. They operated out of the same building, 55 Savushkina Street in St. Petersburg–something FAN concedes in its lawsuit. And FAN’s chief accountant, Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova, was indicted last month as part of what the FBI called “Project Lakhta,” a Kremlin-backed influence campaign on two continents.

Both are believed to be funded by Yevgeny V. Prigozhin, the Russian oligarch so close to the Kremlin that he’s known as “Putin’s chef.” Data from Google Analytics and other sources link FAN websites to “former” IRA employees; essentially, the two groups shared internet infrastructure, as well as a common physical location and a source of cash. The FBI specifically accused Khusyaynova of keeping extensive receipts on expenses incurred by a project for which the IRA was just one component. FAN’s founder and first director, Aleksandra Yurievna Krylova, was indicted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller in February for her alleged activities as part of the IRA.
I checked out FAN's website USAReally.com. I wasn't disappointed. :ab:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:44 am

Fake news; Breibart and Infowars? Google Analytics? A right wing data collecting agency?

This is where one side is a bad as the other.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Standup guy Manafort not only looses his plea deal because he lied to the Feds, but now it seems he might have been coordinating with Wikileaks, and by extension the Russians as well...
Manafort held secret talks with Assange in Ecuadorian embassy

Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort held secret talks with Julian Assange inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, and visited around the time he joined Trump’s campaign, the Guardian has been told.

Sources have said Manafort went to see Assange in 2013, 2015 and in spring 2016 – during the period when he was made a key figure in Trump’s push for the White House.

It is unclear why Manafort wanted to see Assange and what was discussed. But the last meeting is likely to come under scrutiny and could interest Robert Mueller, the special prosecutor who is investigating alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

A well-placed source has told the Guardian that Manafort went to see Assange around March 2016. Months later WikiLeaks released a stash of Democratic emails stolen by Russian intelligence officers...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... an-embassy
But we have to remember there's nothing illegal about visiting Assange in exile or secretly talking to the Russians like Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III did.

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:03 pm

An interesting speculation: Manafort may have been feeding Trump information about what he'd told the FBI and Justice Department investigators. This in turn may have influenced Trump's answers to Mueller's queries.

In addition, Manafort forfeiting his plea agreement means that Mueller will be able to make findings of the investigation public, regardless of any possible interference by the Trump puppet Whitaker.

'Mueller Just Guaranteed He Can Issue a Public Report'
Now, it is true that Trump can pardon Manafort (though that probably won’t happen right away). That’s the only sane explanation for Manafort doing what he did, that he is still certain he’ll be pardoned. But many of these charges can still be charged in state court.

Just about the only explanation for Manafort’s actions are that — as I suggested — Trump was happy to have Manafort serve as a mole in Mueller’s investigation.

But Mueller’s team appears to have no doubt that Manafort was lying to them. That means they didn’t really need his testimony, at all. It also means they had no need to keep secrets — they could keep giving Manafort the impression that he was pulling a fast one over the prosecutors, all while reporting misleading information to Trump that he could use to fill out his open book test. Which increases the likelihood that Trump just submitted sworn answers to those questions full of lies.

And that “detailed sentencing submission … sett[ing] forth the nature of the defendant’s crimes and lies” that Mueller mentions in the report?

There’s your Mueller report, which will be provided in a form that Matt Whitaker won’t be able to suppress. (Reminder: Mueller included 38 pages of evidence along with Manafort’s plea agreement, which I argued showed how what Manafort and Trump did to Hillary was the same thing that Manafort had done to Yulia Tymoshenko.)