Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:53 am

C'mon, give the guy a break. He might be doing stuff IRW...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:08 am

He scouring breitbart articles as we speak...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:53 am
I made this argument to him 2 weeks ago. :coffee:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:54 pm

You're just playing semantic games. The difference is obvious. Keep on thinking you've scored some sort of point.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Joe wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm
JimC wrote:
I've responded to your argument. I think you're being pedantic. A regular employee leaves employ and he no longer has clearance - he can't get info or access -- all he has is the eligibility to reinstatement without filing an application because the background checks and such are still fairly fresh. That's not having security clearance. Brennan had security clearance - not just eligibility to reinstate that clearance - he had current access.

This has been gone around and around. If you think you've won some monumental victory here, go on with your bad self.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Seabass wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:16 am
Joe wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:48 am
You can't defend him on this one, can you Forty Two?
If he can defend baby snatching, he can defend anything.
I've never defended baby snatching. I addressed the hyperbole over the detention issue. Children get separated from their parents (who are put in jail) all the time. This only became an issue because it's a political issue to try to bash Trump. When people cross the Rio Grande or othewise without inspection, they are illegally in the country - they can voluntarily leave with their children, or if they don't want to do that, they get detained. The courts have said that kids can't be put in the same detention as the adults, meaning that to be processed the immigration department is left with the only alternative of releasing illegal entrants into the general population without having been vetted. They get a note to return to court at a certain date, and are often never heard from again. I.e. people are using kids (who sometimes are not even their own) to make illegal entry and get themselves released into the US population improperly, where if they entered without kids they would be properly detained and ultimately deported.

The whole "baby snatching" bullshit is just ridiculous and absurd exaggeration and hyperbole.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm
He's irrelevant until he's consulted about something which happened under his tenure, in which case I'm sure his clearance will be quickly reinstated - if only for a day.

The point is not whether his ongoing clearance was problematic or whether its revocation is technically irrelevant - the point is that a truculent, thin-skinned president used his powers in retribution against legitimate and informed public criticism ridiculous, over-the-top, namecalling from a certain truculent, thin-skinned former director of the CIA individual who apparently thinks he gets to determine American foreign policy.
:fix:

"American will triumph over you" -- "nothing short of treasonous" -- "venality" "turpitude" "disgraced demagogue" - relegated to the "dustbin of history" -- "simple minded policies" - which he then walked back, stating that he made the ill-considered comments because he "got his Irish up" and therefore couldn't control himself.

Great. So what's he need clearance for? Take it away. Nobody in the administration is going to seek comment or assistance who opposes the administration's foreign policy positions so viciously. He's calling the President a traitor. How so? The president didn't commit treason - the President sets policy - if he wants to be friendly to Russia, then that's US foreign policy. The "reset" under Obama wasn't "treason." It wasn't treason when Democrats opposed Reagan's "evil empire" policies in the early 80s toward the Soviet Union. And, not only that, Brennan is accusing the President of "corruption" and that he'll be "relegated to a dustbin" when the full extent of his crimes are known. And, he strongly implies that he has something on Trump that he's not letting on - some inside knowledge that he knows to be the truth that hasn't been made public.

Brennan's comments were ridiculous. They were unbecoming of a former CIA director. If any employee harbors that kind of viewpoint as to his boss - and the President is the boss of the CIA -- then that employee should be fired. And, if it's a former employee, you wouldn't expect the boss to hire him, or afford him benefits.

Even the intelligence officials who came out against the loss of clearance were critical of Brennan's comments too. Many of them had grave concerns about what Brennan was doing.

Hey - you want to take the gloves off and go bare knuckle, then expect to get punched.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 pm
Joe wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm
JimC wrote:
I've responded to your argument. I think you're being pedantic. A regular employee leaves employ and he no longer has clearance - he can't get info or access -- all he has is the eligibility to reinstatement without filing an application because the background checks and such are still fairly fresh. That's not having security clearance. Brennan had security clearance - not just eligibility to reinstate that clearance - he had current access.

This has been gone around and around. If you think you've won some monumental victory here, go on with your bad self.
Well, if you're tired of repeating your discredited argument about clearance, you only have yourself to blame. Feel free to address what you've been avoiding for two weeks. In case you need a reminder:
Joe wrote:The topic, which so far has been over your head, is Trump's bad judgement. You're still trying to deflect from that, probably because you can't defend it in any logical way.
Of course, if you truly can't defend Trump's error, feel free to slink away. I can certainly understand your reluctance. :tut:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Trump made no error, and my argument is correct. But, dance all you want, champ.

How's Lanny Davis doing today? Is he feeding another bullshit story to CNN?

Trump knew all about the Trump Tower meeting in advance! He approved of it! He's going down now for sure!!

Oh, wait, it's a lie - made up. Days of wall-to-wall coverage of the breaking news of finally the truth revealed...

Oh, not true? Gotcha. CNN is not fake news. They are truth tellers, fo' sho'. https://nypost.com/2018/08/29/why-is-cn ... avis-lies/

How many "breaking news turns out to be bullshit" from CNN are we onto now? 5?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Repeat - as to bad judgment - there was no error. Brennan deserves to get his clearance revoked. He crossed the line, and overstepped himself. Sure he had every right to spout off like dipshit, but he has no "right" to security clearance. Fuck him, and the horse he rode in on.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:45 pm
Repeat - as to bad judgment - there was no error. Brennan deserves to get his clearance revoked. He crossed the line, and overstepped himself. Sure he had every right to spout off like dipshit, but he has no "right" to security clearance. Fuck him, and the horse he rode in on.
Didn't your mother teach you that two wrongs don't make a right, Forty Two?

Trump's decision was stupid, and was strongly criticized by the intelligence community, blowback he could have avoided by following the established process for revoking clearances. Then the damn fool blabbed to the Wall Street Journal that it was political retaliation for the Russia. investigation, which fired up the obstruction crowd. And, on top of it all, by revoking Brennan's clearance, he made a hero out of a hack.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but if you want to be taken seriously, you should make a good argument. It's been pointed out to you before, Brennan's actions aren't relevant to criticism of Trump's decision.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm
This only became an issue because it's a political issue to try to bash Trump.
You only think that because you have no conscience and are incapable of empathy. It may be hard for you to imagine, but many people are simply not capable of seeing brown people as less than human.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm
He's irrelevant until he's consulted about something which happened under his tenure, in which case I'm sure his clearance will be quickly reinstated - if only for a day.

The point is not whether his ongoing clearance was problematic or whether its revocation is technically irrelevant - the point is that a truculent, thin-skinned president used his powers in retribution against legitimate and informed public criticism ridiculous, over-the-top, namecalling from a certain truculent, thin-skinned former director of the CIA individual who apparently thinks he gets to determine American foreign policy.
:fix:

"American will triumph over you" -- "nothing short of treasonous" -- "venality" "turpitude" "disgraced demagogue" - relegated to the "dustbin of history" -- "simple minded policies" - which he then walked back, stating that he made the ill-considered comments because he "got his Irish up" and therefore couldn't control himself.

Great. So what's he need clearance for? Take it away. Nobody in the administration is going to seek comment or assistance who opposes the administration's foreign policy positions so viciously. He's calling the President a traitor. How so? The president didn't commit treason - the President sets policy - if he wants to be friendly to Russia, then that's US foreign policy. The "reset" under Obama wasn't "treason." It wasn't treason when Democrats opposed Reagan's "evil empire" policies in the early 80s toward the Soviet Union. And, not only that, Brennan is accusing the President of "corruption" and that he'll be "relegated to a dustbin" when the full extent of his crimes are known. And, he strongly implies that he has something on Trump that he's not letting on - some inside knowledge that he knows to be the truth that hasn't been made public.

Brennan's comments were ridiculous. They were unbecoming of a former CIA director. If any employee harbors that kind of viewpoint as to his boss - and the President is the boss of the CIA -- then that employee should be fired. And, if it's a former employee, you wouldn't expect the boss to hire him, or afford him benefits.

Even the intelligence officials who came out against the loss of clearance were critical of Brennan's comments too. Many of them had grave concerns about what Brennan was doing.

Hey - you want to take the gloves off and go bare knuckle, then expect to get punched.
So you think the President's action was a legitimate response to political dissent and/or a legitimate punitive corrective to objectionable character traits?

In sidestepping agreed procedures do you think the President is right to act as a law unto himself?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:52 pm
:funny:

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:55 pm

So now the fat, orange quisling is claiming that Lester Holt doctored the video in which said quisling admitted to firing Comey to hurt the Russia investigation. Does this guy actually believe his own bullshit, or does he just know his worshippers are dumb enough to believe anything he says, no matter how outrageous and absurd?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka