Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:55 am

You know nothing, Scot Snow!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 am

Forty Two wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:So why was there at least three(?) separate investigations? I suppose it was all Hillary's fault...
Generally, they were supposed to be investigating Russian actions. That's not the same thing as investigating Trump.

The special prosecutor was appointed to investigate "links/coordination between the Russian government and members of the Trump campaign." Plus, any matters that arise "directly" from that investigation, and any matters within 28 Code of Federal Regulation 600.4(a) (perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses).

The House and Senate intelligence committees have numerous investigations on various issues. There is nothing at all wrong with investigating Russia's conduct during the 2016 or any election cycle.

The House and Senate are not criminal investigations, of course. Congressional investigations can investigate anything they want. They are by their nature political, with the political factions maneuvring and pushing their agendas. They can investigate "collusion" even if that collusion is not criminal, illegal or even unethical. The House committee found no collusion, of any kind, criminal or non-criminal.

The Senate is still going on because the anti-Trump forces have greater power in the Senate than in the House.

Note how the Guardian headlined the House committee finding no collusion. They made sure to put in the headline that a "Trump ally" was leading it. Well, do they do that when they talk of the Mueller investigation, and how gobs of Democrat allies are leading the investigation? No. They don't. Why? Because the Guardian, like most other media outlets, are anti-Trump, and they publish accordingly.

I think Dershowitz's suggestion - which he's maintained since before the Special Prosecutor was appointed - makes the most sense. Invesigate like crazy, but do it with a 9/11 style commission, that has a real cross section of interests, and a real attempt at neutrality.

If these investigations were really neutral fact-finding missions, we would not be inundated with constant streams of leaks that turn out to be false, and constant political pontification by Schiff and his crew, and constant similar pontifications by Nunes and his crew.

I don't absolve the pro-Trump Republicans of this. They are out to end the investigation regardless of the Truth, just like the Democrats want him hanged however they can.

Mark my words - if the Democrats take the House, Trump will be impeached. He may not lose, but he will go through what Clinton went through. An impeachment trial. Impeachment is political.
Much of the focus on Trump has stemmed from Trump's actions. The timing of the Comey firing, blabbing about "the Russia thing" to Lester Holt, and his inflammatory tweets got him a special prosecutor and gave his opponents' plenty of ammo to use against him.

Dershowitz has a point about a bipartisan commission, but the Comey firing seems to have accelerated the situation to the point that a special prosecutor was the easier political fix.

He brought this on himself, and us. :wacky:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:11 am

yeah, it's the whole "there's no smoke without fire" thing. There may end up being no fire in this case, but you can't fault investigators for thinking something was burning given the amount of smoke.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 am

Exactly. Given the potential for foreign influence and espionage, they can't just let it go.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 am

Have they investigated his links to Lichtenstein yet?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 am

Strange place is that.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Joe wrote:Exactly. Given the potential for foreign influence and espionage, they can't just let it go.
Nunes could let it go.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm

JimC wrote:Have they investigated his links to Lichtenstein yet?
There's this rock they want to look under first. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -head.html

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Joe wrote:Exactly. Given the potential for foreign influence and espionage, they can't just let it go.
Nunes could let it go.
Well, we were talking about investigators.... :biggrin:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm

:)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:33 pm

The Russians were meddling in 2012 and 2009, but the previous administration was trying to "Reset" the relationship with Russia. Our intelligence agencies have, according to the memo in December 2016, known about Russian meddling for decades.

Image Hillary hits the reset button with fascist Russia, and it's statesmanship.

Laugh it up with the Fascist leader of Russia. He's like Mussolini. Must be a lot of laughs. What the heck, eh. The 1980s called, and they want their foreign policy back....

Image Obama will have more flexibility AFTER the election....shhhhh...don't say anything... don't want the people to know that I intend to be more flexible with Russia after the election.... Oh, but wait, yes, this is Medvedev, and Medvedev is the good, non-fascist, open, Democratic, Russian. Russia didn't become a totalitarian dictatorship until 2016....

Translation: "You know, Hillary. You may not be much of a looker, but I would so penetrate your defenses with my giant Russian ICBM right now..."

Biden wondering if Putin can explain why one of his fingers on each hand is shorter and fatter than the others....

Image I am happy to take smiling photos with meddling, fascist Russian, totalitarian dictators, but I won't congratulate him. That would be crossing the line.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:40 pm

The White House really is a dove cot:

Trump lawyer John Dowd resigns as president 'increasingly ignoring his advice'
A personal lawyer for President Donald Trump, John Dowd, has resigned from his position as Mr Trump shakes-up his legal team and its approach to special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation.

Mr Dowd's resignation follows reports of repeated clashes between him and the president in recent weeks, and sources told the New York Times that Mr Dowd made his decision after determining that the president was increasingly ignoring his advice.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Sounds like a bullshit report to me.

If Dowd toled someone that he was resigning because he was "clashing" with his client, and becaue he had given advice to his client which his client was ignoring, then that would be a gross breach of the duty of loyalty to the client, and a breach of attorney-client confidentiality. You cannot, in the US, as a lawyer, disclose communications between yourself and your client, including whether your client took your advice or not. The fact of a client's refusal to take the advice of a lawyer is privileged and secret. A lawyer not only is obligated to keep specific words between himself and the client confidential, but also to safeguard the client's secrets.

The better reporting on this was by the Wall Street Journal which noted that Dowd did not disclose his reason for resigning, which is the only thing that makes sense. When asked if it was because he couldn't control the President etc., he said no. He never said it was because the President would not follow his advice. Anonymous sources, who can't know what they're talking about unless they are breaking the law and their ethical responsibilities say otherwise....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Of course Of course. It is all fake news. JFCOAPS!!!