U.S. oil industry set to break record, upend global trade

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Fuck you OPEC and ummmm, Trump rules!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1F50HV
Surging shale production is poised to push U.S. oil output to more than 10 million barrels per day - toppling a record set in 1970 and crossing a threshold few could have imagined even a decade ago.
And this new record, expected within days, likely won’t last long. The U.S. government forecasts that the nation’s production will climb to 11 million barrels a day by late 2019, a level that would rival Russia, the world’s top producer.
President Trump + record energy exports = :console: global warmers
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: U.S. oil industry set to break record, upend global trad

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Aww. He thinks people who don't believe global warming is happening aren't and won't be affected by it. So cute.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

And that Trump has something to do with our oil production boom, which happened during the Obama administration.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

..and that there's an endless and harmless supply of fossil fuels.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Joe wrote:And that Trump has something to do with our oil production boom, which happened during the Obama administration.
So, it's Obama who doesn't care about global warming? Or, the increase in oil output doesn't have anything to do with global warming?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Joe wrote:And that Trump has something to do with our oil production boom, which happened during the Obama administration.
So, it's Obama who doesn't care about global warming? Or, the increase in oil output doesn't have anything to do with global warming?
The article actually suggests that fracking reduces emissions because burning oil is better than burning coal. Sort of like your house burning down an hour or two slower mind you.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Trump supporters treat Trump like Christians treat Jesus with this dividing line where before all was bad, then Trump comes in like a beacon of light and changes everything.Nevermind the Dow, jobs, pay etc. were all steadily rising in the US and abroad for the last few years, this is all miraculously Trump's doing, and this is even before he's implemented reform and economic policies!

Future people will set new calenders and talk about the periods BT and AT.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 pm

It's nice to have some gas and stuff to burn. And we will need the coal for mining industry forever, to process the ore. But mostly these are just the LAST FARTS we are capturing from the earth. After that, oil based stuff will need to be made from other stuff. Like cellulose.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

The long-shot hope here is that the World moves really fast into renewable and that the fossil industry is left with millions of drums of oil they can't sell and they fucking drown in it.

A more realistic worry for th e oil industry is that they flood the market and reduce the price of oil so much they start making losses. As has happened before.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/15/investi ... index.html

The fact people are still scrambling for ever more dirty and destructive (we're talking razing forests and blowing off mountain tops here) forms of fossil extraction at a time when we're told we need to keep it in the ground and use just what's out there to keep below 2C gives me little hope in people.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm not holding my breath. There'll be a panic at some point and a scramble to get it right but I have my doubts it will be in time to ward of some nasty revenge from mother earth.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Or the oil boom has little to do with Trump or his policies. ;)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Rum wrote:I'm not holding my breath. There'll be a panic at some point and a scramble to get it right but I have my doubts it will be in time to ward of some nasty revenge from mother earth.
That's what I figure will happen. The people with the power to make a difference will finally come around when it affects them, but a lot of people are suffering now, and more will as this gets worse. :sulk:

It makes me think of the story about the US Congress debating assistance to farmers in the US Dust Bowl of the 1930's. The tenor of the debate abruptly changed when dust from Oklahoma was seen in the capital.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 pm

We're already seeing a lot of companies and business moving toward wanting to do something about climate change. From insurance to agriculture, people are starting to see how it affects their bottom line. There were loads of companies urging Trump not to back out of the Paris Accord, but Trump and his administration are too deep in fossil industry money and it's starting to look like it's going to be a matter of when the lobby of companies for change can outweigh the might of Big Oil.

It's my main reason why Trump and the current Republicans Party are unfit for office. For obvious reasons people who deny the existence of a problem will lack the tools to tackle it. I put this way above the fact that the Party is filled with sexist, racist, homophobic, backward thinking bigots. To ignore this risk it the most stupid, obstinate, pig-headed, selfish, greedy, and sheer dangerous things anyone can be doing. And these are the people who those who will suffer most have put in charge. It's like a collective madness. Fucking frustrating is what it is.

These crusty old ignoramuses can't die out quick enough.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Animavore wrote:Trump supporters treat Trump like Christians treat Jesus with this dividing line where before all was bad, then Trump comes in like a beacon of light and changes everything.Nevermind the Dow, jobs, pay etc. were all steadily rising in the US and abroad for the last few years, this is all miraculously Trump's doing, and this is even before he's implemented reform and economic policies!

Future people will set new calenders and talk about the periods BT and AT.
Actually, it's the reverse. Folks like you pretend that all was good, and nobody had anything to do with it getting bad, except for Trump and Bush.

Most people simply suggest that Trump's deregulation, tax plan, and other actions has, in fact, jumpstarted the economy, which had been in an anemic recovery for years. That's not a miracle.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Joe wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Or the oil boom has little to do with Trump or his policies. ;)
So, then it has to do with Obama and his policies? The oil boom, that is?