When more regulation is better

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: When more regulation is better

Post by laklak » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:30 pm

OK here's something that needs a shitload more regulation, and this coming from a libertarian. Fucking boaters. Any asshole with the money can buy a 60 foot, 4000hp sportfish and go roaring around the waterways, throwing massive wakes, ignoring any and all maritime regulations, rules of the road, and safety regulations, with no, and I mean NO, fucking education, experience, or licensing, and nobody stops them. This is because the USCG is too fucking busy boarding every trawler they see, asking about weapons (yeah, got 'em), ammo (yeah, got that), drugs (yeah, but you won't find them), and we're puttering along at 7 knots, obeying all laws and fully in compliance with EVERY goddamn cockamamie reg. We either need to license all boaters and enforce the goddamn law, or we need to legalize Stand Your Motherfucking Ground on the water. I'm perfectly willing to shoot these asshole shitgibbon rich cocksucking weekend warriors, in fact, it would release a fuckton of stress to put a fucking 30 06 through their fucking forehead. Better still, a 5 inch below the waterline. Or torpedoes. Yeah, a torpedo would do the trick.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:09 pm

In Finland those new boat owners typically destroy their boat the first summer "drunk driving" it. I could not find much video from there, but most are speed boats capsized, run onto pier or run aground. Few are actual crashed. Here is a general compilation of fools
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm

A few die or kill someone else every summer here too.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Every thing over 10 metres needs a Masters licence here. That is not easy. A normal driving licence is child's play in comparison.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:43 pm

Here it's either none at all, or U.S. Coast Guard licensing, which is nearly impossible for anyone other than a professional sailor. They're designed for commercial operators, and require at least a year of hands-on experience as both a crew member and in command of the vessel. Your average recreational boater will never qualify, I certainly wouldn't. What we need is a recreational boater's license, maybe different classes based either on tonnage or length. You should know all the regs, rules of the road, safety procedures, navigation, etc. Make 'em learn to use a sextant, that will weed out a hell of a lot of them. Plus a practical test in a boat of the proper size - docking, getting underway, anchoring, all of it. Most states require you take a "boater safety" course if you're under a certain age (we old farts are exempt), but it's a fucking joke. Keep the current requirements for anyone engaged in a commercial enterprise or carrying passengers, but come up with a rational licensing scheme for the rest of us - ALL of us, particularly the moronic assholes on their jet skis and bass boats. I tell ya, it's taking your life in your fucking hands to go out on the water, but at least we're big enough at 13 meters that other boats generally steer clear. I can't wait to get out of West Florida and up to the relatively unpopulated Panhandle.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 pm

NANNY STATE!! Licensing is THEFT!1
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 am

No, it's OPPRESSION! Taxes are theft.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:41 am

Oh yeah.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:28 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:17 am
No, it's OPPRESSION! Taxes are theft.
But when if finances roads and hospitals and schools it's robbin' hood theft?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 am

THEFT IS THEFT!!!!!!!!!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:44 am

The main thing fished off the East coast of Ireland these days are prawns. You go to Howth harbour and all the fish mongers still display that the fish are local. They're not. They are imported.

We have allowed our coasts to be over fished. We need total bans put in pkace in some areas for about 3 years to help bring back stocks. After that we need to fish in a sustainable manner, like Norway. We need to ban dredging (in Norway they snorkel for shellfish).

Regulations in the fishing industry protect jobs and increase yield even if it seems counter intuitive to fish less to gain more. Lack of regulations destroy coasts, reefs, and reduce diversity and you're left, like you are in Dublin, scraping for bottom-feeding sea-insects.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 am

No, this must be wrong. It's in the fishermen's interest to harvest their resource sustainably. They know better than those pesky scientists slash greenies. No primary producer has ever destroyed their resource. Apart from most of them. But you know...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 am

Interestingly what they've done in Norway has sold it to the fishermen that it is in their interest to fish sustainably and they help police the borders, report cheaters, and provide scientific data.

That said, the Scandinavians are probably the most reasonable people I've ever met.
Last edited by Animavore on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 am

Fuck!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:56 am

Animavore wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 am
Interestingly what they've done in Norway has sold it to the fishermen that it is in their interest to fish sustainably and they help police the borders, report cheaters, and provide scientific data.

That said, the Scandinavians are probably the most reasonable people I've ever met.
Yep. And they are very well educated, which means they respect knowledge and science.