Jerusalem? Big deal? Stumbling block to world peace?

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Jerusalem? Big deal? Stumbling block to world peace?

Post by cronus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

When you are fulfilling bible prophecy? How long before you want the end bit to come around? :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Jerusalem? Big deal? Stumbling block to world peace?

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:44 am

At least wait till after christmas please, but preferably never.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 pm

You're frightened the Bible is true and we are closer to World War Three, and the world ending in fire. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Another brilliant Trump move, and just after Russia declared Syria ISIS free!

Violent antisemitic protests by asylum seekers in Europe? Deport, deport, deport :hehe:
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm

It's an interesting move, because it changes the status quo and the way things have been done. 20 years ago, the US Congress enacted the law to recognize Jerusalem as the Capitol of Israel and to move the embassy. However, there was alllowance for the President to waive the requirements of the law. That gave the Prez the bargaining chip, which is important to the Arab Muslims. However, for 20 years, the waivers have been done every year, but obviously, that route hasn't worked.

This act pushes the Arabs a bit, and they can scream and yell all they want, but that's not going fix the issue. It changes the dynamic. And, this is an important thing for them. So, in the interim, before concrete steps are taken to move the embassy, there is an opportunity to renegotiate. That's what Presidents have been doing for decades. Trying to negotiate an overall peace deal.

Let's get a deal where the Palestinians get a State, and Israel gets a secure border. To do that, we have to get the world community to finally stop breathing life into the idea that Israel should not exist. It does exist. It's going to exist. It's not going to become a Muslim country, nor should it have to be.

The problem with Jerusalem is the Arabs, quite frankly. I am sure that the problem is that in 1948 the United Nations said that Jerusalem would be an international city and should be the capital of both Israel and a nation for the Palestinian Arab Muslims. So, Israel agreed to it, and said fine. And, the Arabs rejected it. Since then, this separate international city doctrine has been the position of the UN, and Israel declared it to be its capital according to the 1948 resolution, and that should be that. In 1949, though, the Arabs tried to invade Israel and then in 1967, the same thing happened, and since then east Jerusalem has been held by Israel along with west Jerusalem, and that's now been the case for 50 years. Half a century.

So, what the Arabs need to do is recognize Israel as a state, ask for a state for themselves in line with the 1948 UN resolutions, and then both countries can share the capital of Jerusalem. Before the US's move on the embassy this year, the Arabs were in a better position to hold out. Now, though, if they hold out, the US Embassy will move, and other countries will start to follow suit and customary international law will develop to include Jerusalem as Israel's capital. If they don't want that, they are going to have sit down and seriously agree to a two state solution with Israel having a right to exist, and then both countries can set up their capitals in Jerusalem. Israel would have a hard time rejecting that, since they've adhered to the UN resolution on Jerusalem for 70 years now.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

The odds of Jews and Muslims making peace is the same as them both declaring their love of bacon. There is no such thing as a Palestinian, they are Arab Muslims. Maybe at some point there were Palestinians, but I'm sure the Arab Muslims probably murdered them a 1000 years ago. Unless it was the Crusaders. :hehe:
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Trump has taken an almighty bribe, both in money and votes, from the pro Israel lobby.

He's had his bribe, now he has to deliver.

You will never find out how they paid him, but they certainly did. With his business empire, it will be easy to put the money his way. Trump doesn't do anybody any favours for nothing.

Mind you, the same applies to every US president since Israel took off. They've all been bought and paid for by jewish money and votes ever since. They pay off both sides, just to be sure.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm

mistermack wrote:Trump has taken an almighty bribe, both in money and votes, from the pro Israel lobby.

He's had his bribe, now he has to deliver.

You will never find out how they paid him, but they certainly did. With his business empire, it will be easy to put the money his way. Trump doesn't do anybody any favours for nothing.

Mind you, the same applies to every US president since Israel took off. They've all been bought and paid for by jewish money and votes ever since. They pay off both sides, just to be sure.
Yup, all the rich corporate, press, banker and Hollywood Jews are...... They all seem to hate Trump :zilla:

Oh wait. His daughter Ivanka is a converted Jew and married to a Jew and their children are Jewish. Forget that point? :zilla:

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Oh wait. His daughter Ivanka is a converted Jew and married to a Jew and their children are Jewish. Forget that point? :zilla:
He would still demand payment. Like I said, he wouldn't do favours for nothing.

In any case, his children will know they would stand to benefit from the money. He's not immortal.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 am

Jerusalem

BY WILLIAM BLAKE

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:57 pm

They can kiss my ass. I think it wouldn't hurt for us to at least attempt to develop some healthy distance. It's just gross to hear Americans go on about Israel. --shriek

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Alright! War, baby! Smart bombs, shock and awe, tanks in the desert! Fucking desert tank battles are the BEST! Mark my words, lads, forget that Bitcoin bullshit and buy General Dynamics, Raytheon, and Lockheed Marietta. Those Jew bastards are gonna need some serious iron to hand those camel fuckers their asses once again, and Uncle Donald stands ready, willing, and able to sell them all they need.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:21 pm

"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:52 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT