Donald is here to stay, now what? Cursing and swearing OK

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Donald is here to stay, now what? Cursing and swearing O

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am

Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:NYT: Donald Trump’s Racism: The Definitive List
Donald Trump has been obsessed with race for the entire time he has been a public figure. He had a history of making racist comments as a New York real-estate developer in the 1970s and ‘80s. More recently, his political rise was built on promulgating the lie that the nation’s first black president was born in Kenya. He then launched his campaign with a speech describing Mexicans as rapists.

The media often falls back on euphemisms when describing Trump’s comments about race: racially loaded, racially charged, racially tinged, racially sensitive. And Trump himself has claimed that he is “the least racist person.” But here’s the truth: Donald Trump is a racist. He talks about and treats people differently based on their race. He has done so for years, and he is still doing so.

Here, we have attempted to compile a definitive list of his racist comments – or at least the publicly known ones.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... acist.html
Trump did not describe the Mexicans in general as rapists.

The article didn't say that he said Mexicans in general were rapists. If you want to criticise an article about its facts it would help if you got your own facts right first.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 am

Seabass wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Donald Trump has been obsessed with race for the entire time he has been a public figure. He had a history of making racist comments as a New York real-estate developer in the 1970s and ‘80s. More recently, his political rise was built on promulgating the lie that the nation’s first black president was born in Kenya. He then launched his campaign with a speech describing Mexicans as rapists.

The media often falls back on euphemisms when describing Trump’s comments about race: racially loaded, racially charged, racially tinged, racially sensitive. And Trump himself has claimed that he is “the least racist person.” But here’s the truth: Donald Trump is a racist. He talks about and treats people differently based on their race. He has done so for years, and he is still doing so.

Here, we have attempted to compile a definitive list of his racist comments – or at least the publicly known ones.

Trump did not describe the Mexicans in general as rapists. He said Mexico sends its rapists and criminals across the border. (Which is not true either. He was probably thinking the Mexican government is doing something similar to Fidel Castro when the then American President opened the doors to Cuban refugees. Castro used the invitation to empty most of Cuba's prisons and a good proportion of its mental asylums.) Anyway, if that is what the NYT included in its list of Trump's racism, it has egg on its face. Moreover, getting facts wrong when criticising someone is counterproductive. I can hear the outcry already: "See? Another lie! NYT-MSM fake news! Can't trust the lying fucks."
If you scroll down the article, the author gets more specific. I agree though, that his critics sometimes get a little sloppy with that particular remark, and should be more careful.
The title of the op-ed is Donald Trump’s Racism: The Definitive List. The more specific mention of Mexican immigrants being rapists is not racist either. The author simply made two mistakes. Mexican rapists should not have been mentioned either time.

The NYT is not doing itself or its readers any favours by not doing a bit of fact checking. Usually there is a line below a guest columnist's article to the effect that the author's opinions are not necessarily the same as the publisher's. I didn't see one here. Even if there were one that wouldn't be enough. Publishing glaring falsehoods such as these still reflect very badly on the NYT.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 am

Trump's comments demonising a group of people were based in racism, as it was playing to the fears of his racist base. He has a history of racist comments, and only 42 or someone living under a rock could deny that Trump ran a racist campaign. That he was referring to a subset of Mexicans is irrelevant, as you don't need to refer to all of a race/ethnicity in racist terms to be racist to a subset of that race/ethnicity.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am

Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Trump did not describe the Mexicans in general as rapists. He said Mexico sends its rapists and criminals across the border. (Which is not true either. He was probably thinking the Mexican government is doing something similar to Fidel Castro when the then American President opened the doors to Cuban refugees. Castro used the invitation to empty most of Cuba's prisons and a good proportion of its mental asylums.) Anyway, if that is what the NYT included in its list of Trump's racism, it has egg on its face. Moreover, getting facts wrong when criticising someone is counterproductive. I can hear the outcry already: "See? Another lie! NYT-MSM fake news! Can't trust the lying fucks."
If you scroll down the article, the author gets more specific. I agree though, that his critics sometimes get a little sloppy with that particular remark, and should be more careful.
The title of the op-ed is Donald Trump’s Racism: The Definitive List. The more specific mention of Mexican immigrants being rapists is not racist either. The author simply made two mistakes. Mexican rapists should not have been mentioned either time.

The NYT is not doing itself or its readers any favours by not doing a bit of fact checking. Usually there is a line below a guest columnist's article to the effect that the author's opinions are not necessarily the same as the publisher's. I didn't see one here. Even if there were one that wouldn't be enough. Publishing glaring falsehoods such as these still reflect very badly on the NYT.
Well, most of the quotes in the article aren't technically racist when judged without context or history. If you include context and history, however, a fairly clear pattern emerges.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote: Again, it's pretty clear what condition you're putting on the criticism of a policy here, the question was why does, should or must that condition apply?
I've not placed a condition. I've pointed out a hypocrisy. Why don't the other walls just encourage the building of taller ladders? Is there something different about those walls? What?
Brian Peacock wrote:
What's the policy difference? Why do they get to have walls without being racists, even though they're keeping out folks from brown countries, but if the US wants effective border control and a wall too, it's a big fucking problem?
I guess Trump's wall is tainted with racism because he justified it on the basis that Mexicans were rapists and murderers.
Of course he did not say that. What he said was that those crossing the border are not Mexico's best, and that among those coming over are rapists and murderers. His point was much like the Cuban boat lift of the 1980s, when Castro emptied his prisons. Of course most Cubans (and Mexicans) are just as good and bad as anyone else. But, it's not an even cross section of the country's demographics that are hustling across the border. There is a disproporationate number of gang members, criminals and others running from the law in Mexico that cross over.4
Brian Peacock wrote: You'd like to shift the burden of justification onto the objectors to that kind of political motivation and challenge them on as to why building the wall, or even the wall itself, is racist, when it's the reasons for building it that are at issue. Didn't Trump promise to have rounded up and deported all the illegals by now btw?
No no. The walls are built for the same reasons. To keep people out. To keep people who are not desired in the country out. In Greece and Bulgaria it's to keep out Africans and Asians. It's not to keep out an even number of whites and blacks and browns. It's to keep out the economic migrants and refugees from poorer countries.

Brian Peacock wrote:
And, why do all these other folks from around the world focus on what the US does with it's border, but not focus on other countries? After all, as you and others have made clear - it's obvious the US sucks anyway, people starve in the streets, we don't care about the poor, so they'd not want to come here anyway, right?
Now you're playing the victim card: Poor done-down America, the nation built by immigrants and the defender of freedom, liberty and inalienable rights, is being singled out and picked on again. Just how many countries, political systems, and individual policies must we criticise before we can rightfully turn our gaze to the US? Seems to me that only when the rest of the world is perfect do we earn the privilege of examining America and/or critiquing this administration.
No, I'm just parroting what you and others have said. We have no real social welfare net, no health care, except that which is substandard even to Cuba and the Dominican Republic. People starve in the streets. It's racist and discriminatory against the poor and the brown. Am I not right about that?

Just how many countries and political systems and policies? How about just a few? Is your gaze ever not on the US? The US is the most highly scrutinized country out there. Surely there is something going on in the UK, Australia, Fance, Germany, Russia, China, India, Brazil, etc. that might deserve some attention?

It's not a question of "only when the rest of the world is perfect," it's a question of prioritizing the imperfection. Why must the US be so much closer to perfect than anywhere else? You're not even recognizing the that the US is even a first world country, hardly. We have Scot Dutchy running around saying that according to his peer group in the "civilized world" it's the US that is the real shithole - the biggest shithole on the planet, actually.

I mean - there is nothing at all wrong with criticizing the US, but how about some perspective. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I say it, but I'll say it again. It's not that US is "better" than other western European first world countries, and Canada and Oz. There are many ways that the US can learn from other such countries. But, let's at least put in perspective how life is in the US. And, let's put in perspective that when certain folks say the US is at the bottom in the world, it's in reference to the "world" consisting of about 10 or 12 other countries in the first world, because the "rest of the world" really is full of countries that are not great examples of the conquest of poverty. Only what the US gets is accusations that we're actually worse than Cuba. Worse than banana republics. Worse than South American despotisms.

Translate that to the wall issue, and you've got a wall that's been under construction for going on 25 years, and NOW it's a big racist problem because Trump. Only, the EU has a convenient wall on the main land crossing from Turkey to Bulgaria/Greece and that's not racist. Nothing wrong with that, right? Nobody has even gone on record here either way as to why it's either right or wrong about THAT wall. Who is being kept out? Why? Why is it different from what is considered so appalling on the part of the US.

The reality is that the wall is bad in the US simply because it's the US that's doing it while Trump is President. If Obama said "we're going to complete the border barrier because it is part of our overall plan to bolster border security while welcoming legal immigrants through proper procedures" then I doubt anyone would be suggesting there is any issue with it. Yet, that wall would keep the same people out.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm

The mastermind of shithole politics has no idea who to focus on as an opponent:

Handicapping potential 2020 challengers — however premature the exercise is — has become a favorite pastime for the competitive president, who still regularly rehashes his shock win in the 2016 race.

“He’s always asking people, ‘Who do you think is going to run against me?’” said the Republican who heard the president’s assessment in December.

Despite a bumpy first year and historically low approval ratings, this Trump ally said: “I don’t think he sees anyone, right now, being a serious competitor.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... ion-340623

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Forty Two wrote:Surely there is something going on in the UK, Australia, Fance, Germany, Russia, China, India, Brazil, etc. that might deserve some attention?
You can't possibly be this stupid. When something happens in those countries that is worthy of attention, it gets attention. Brexit, for example, has received a great deal of attention, and will continue to receive a great deal of attention for years to come. If Angela Merkel were blustering and bloviating about the need to build a wall to keep out rapists and murders from brown countries, she'd get a lot of attention. There'd likely be a huge backlash. But Angela Merkel isn't the one doing that—Trump is.

Why does this have to be explained to you? I refuse to believe that you are actually this stupid, so I can only conclude that you are being deliberately obtuse.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Seabass wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Surely there is something going on in the UK, Australia, Fance, Germany, Russia, China, India, Brazil, etc. that might deserve some attention?
You can't possibly be this stupid. When something happens in those countries that is worthy of attention, it gets attention. Brexit, for example, has received a great deal of attention, and will continue to receive a great deal of attention for years to come. If Angela Merkel were blustering and bloviating about the need to build a wall to keep out rapists and murders from brown countries, she'd get a lot of attention. There'd likely be a huge backlash. But Angela Merkel isn't the one doing that—Trump is.

Why does this have to be explained to you? I refuse to believe that you are actually this stupid, so I can only conclude that you are being deliberately obtuse.
You forget. American politics is different - cruder and more emotional. America is different. Also despite its power - built of course on its huge wealth - itself built on a continent raped and exploited from scratch - is actually a rather backward country. That aspect of it is beginning to show itself rather dramatically.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Why hasn't 42 commented on the difference between a fence and a wall?

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 pm

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 am

Seabass wrote:

Its just a way to avoid talking about Trump's policies, his aims, his capacities and competence, his ideas and ideals, his motivation, his statements, or his tweets, in the Trump discussion thread. Why, as a Trump supporter, would you want to talk about that when you can bring a sense of outrage and self-righteous indignation to bear in talk about the people who talk about that. Criticising the criticisers is the name of the game.

So now, apparently, we must discuss things in the UK, Australia, Fance, Germany, Russia, China, India, Brazil, etc here first, to prove we're nor biased against America - then we can talk about Trump. And obviously any commentator, analyst, satirist, journalist, or other media type must do the same also, because reasons.

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:45 am

I see Merkel is finding forming a coalition a little harder this time round. Meanwhile the list of Trump appointees who are clearly not up to their brief continues to grow...
Donald Trump’s secretary of homeland security, Kirstjen Nielsen, admits not knowing whether Norway’s population is mainly white, during questioning by the Senate homeland security committee. Asked by Senator Patrick Leahy if Norway is ‘predominantly white’, Nielsen replies: ‘I actually do not know that sir.’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... _clipboard
:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 am

Very, very few Norwegians are white.

(i.e. albino)

Most are pinkish. :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 pm

The CIA Factbook says 83.2% of Norwegians are Norwegian.

Maybe that explains Kirstjen Nielsen's confusion. :think:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Good for them, being so pure. We Finns are half pure Finn and the rest 50% Finn. The rest is European. Maybe we have Norwegian daddies?