Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Is Facebook killing freedom and liberty?

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Cambridge Analytica was offered politicians' hacked emails, witnesses say

The data analytics firm that worked on the Donald Trump election campaign was offered material from Israeli hackers who had accessed the private emails of two politicians who are now heads of state, witnesses have told the Guardian.

Multiple sources have described how senior directors of Cambridge Analytica – including its chief executive, Alexander Nix – gave staff instructions to handle material provided by computer hackers in election campaigns in Nigeria and St Kitts and Nevis

They claim there were two episodes in 2015 that alarmed members of staff and led them to refuse to handle the data, which they assumed would have been obtained illegally.

SCL Elections, Cambridge Analytica’s parent company, denied taking possession of or using hacked or stolen personal information from such individuals for any purpose in either campaign....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... _clipboard
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am

Mark Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook's 'mistakes' over Cambridge Analytica

Facebook is changing the way it shares data with third-party applications, Mark Zuckerberg announced Wednesday in his first public statement since the Observer reported that the personal data of about 50 million Americans had been harvested and improperly shared with a political consultancy.

The Facebook CEO broke his five-day silence on the scandal that has enveloped his company this week in a Facebook post acknowledging that the policies that allowed the misuse of data were “a breach of trust between Facebook and the people who share their data with us and expect us to protect it”.

"We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can’t then we don’t deserve to serve you,” Zuckerberg wrote. He noted that the company has already changed some of the rules that enabled the breach, but added: “We also made mistakes, there’s more to do, and we need to step up and do it”

Facebook’s chief operating officer, Sheryl Sandberg, shared Zuckerberg’s post and added her own comment: “We know that this was a major violation of peoples’ trust, and I deeply regret that we didn’t do enough to deal with it.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... _clipboard
We're so sorry we got found out?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Damage done. Does he care? Like fuck.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 pm

of course he does care, he needs good image to get more cretins to register to his data mining enterprise... what I wonder is whether this 'pirating' of data is not actually buying of same off FB, basically, his selling his data off to the best bidder, safety is really too lax for it to be a mistake.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 am

Wait. CA paid a million bucks for access to Facebook's databases and neither Zuckerberg nor any of his minions knew what they were selling? :think:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 am

Svartalf wrote:of course he does care, he needs good image to get more cretins to register to his data mining enterprise... what I wonder is whether this 'pirating' of data is not actually buying of same off FB, basically, his selling his data off to the best bidder, safety is really too lax for it to be a mistake.
People will join anyway. A Facebook account is part of growing up these days. Without one you dont count. It is called peer pressure.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am

no peer can convince me to participate into this alienation scam.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 am

Svartalf wrote:no peer can convince me to participate into this alienation scam.
Not you Svarty. You are too old in the tooth. :smoke:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Svartalf wrote:no peer can convince me to participate into this alienation scam.
:potd:

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:50 pm

I really do not understand the antipathy. As I've said elsewhere I just use it to stay in touch with family and friends. Handy for sending photos making arrangements and the like. It doesn't have to take over your life - though I know it does with some.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 pm

A couple of years ago my daughter asked me how we used to organise social events in "the olden days" without Facebook. After remonstrating with her about how "the olden days" was something her grandparents lived through, not me, i told her that we used to make plans in advance, and stick to them. She shook her head and just said, "Wierd."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 pm

My youngest son seems to organise his social life on the fly, not via Facebook, I think, but by texting etc...

His social group's plans seem to change fluidly, a little like a wheeling flock of starlings...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Actually there are new platforms such as KIK and the like. Instant messaging, groups, no other content - the heroin of social networking? Nope - just handier and more functional than the phone.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Rum wrote:I really do not understand the antipathy. As I've said elsewhere I just use it to stay in touch with family and friends. Handy for sending photos making arrangements and the like. It doesn't have to take over your life - though I know it does with some.
the antipathy is that whatever you post, and whatever others post that's even distantly related to you, is their property, and ruthlessly used to exploit you commercially, and possibly to try and influence you into doing things you normally wouldn't... up to voting for a no go like Frump, yes, I know you are british and this does not apply to you, but maybe zuckerberg applied his intimate knowledge of millions of britons to influence some misinformed wretches into voting for Brexit... I'm not stating they did, but it's the kind of shenanigans they just might have done.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:23 am

I've put my big boys' knickers on because I'm going to be brave here, and admit that I'm overwhelmed by Facebook. It asks too much of me all the time, there's all these flashing things demanding your attention down the side, along the bottom, popping up to nag you about completing your profile or to fill out another bizarre survey, and that bit in the middle swishes by, peppered with ads and filled with random stuff that I have trouble hanging a context on. Basically, it gives me the heebees, the opposite of the dopamine rush which I'm (apparently) supposed to get form being so intimately connected to an algobot's mapping of the 'narrative' of my life.

Frank Zappa