US v Manafort

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: US v Manafort

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 am

Trump's 'good person' defence could affect jurors in Manafort trial
Weighing in on active trial is highly unusual move for sitting president – one legal expert says: ‘He shouldn’t have done it’
Dictator Trump just cant stop himself.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:14 pm

At least he didn't say, "If I had a son, he'd look like Paul Manafort" and "the Meuller team acted stupidly." Highly unusual for a sitting President.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 am
Just the way we are. The Dutch dont have time for "small talk".
Nobody really wants to talk to the Dutch.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:31 am
I noticed that in in Ozland nobody spoke straight far more devious than the English even. Here is an example; When an Englishman asks you around to his he does not mean it; he being polite. When a Dutchman invites you around to his house he will make an appointment. I prefer the latter any time.
You prefer your own culture? Wow, really? How unusual.

The Brazilians show up at each other's houses unannounced, and stay late. Any scheduled appointment will generally see Brazilians showing up late. They prefer it that way, and they don't give a fuck what the Dutch prefer.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:29 pm

How many zeros are there in a Brazilian again?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:29 pm
How many zeros are there in a Brazilian again?
This many:
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Image Isabela Fontana

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 am

And a retrial on 10.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Did the prosecution already decide to go with a retrial? I hadn't seen that.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 am

The glass is half full or half empty.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:52 am

Paul Manafort Is Going to Jail. But in Ukraine, He Has Left Ghosts in His Wake.

On the morning of February 24, 2014, hundreds of Ukrainians streamed through the doors of the famed presidential palace of Mezhyhirya. The billion-dollar residence, finished in wood, as if to mimic a rustic cottage, was propped up by incongruous white columns; the crowd that flowed between them was witnessing, for the first time, the uses state coffers had been put to under the corrupt guidance of their ousted president. Viktor Yanukovych had fled overnight, vanishing into the depths of Russia, and his guards had deserted their posts. They had watched over the estate, its garages filled with luxury cars, a scale-model Spanish galleon bobbing in the manmade pond, on which Yanukovych had hosted guests for luxurious dinners, with sturgeon caviar served in golden dishes and libations from cellars stocked with priceless brandies; Now the place was left open for a crowd of ordinary citizens, whose average wage was less than $200 a month.

The crowd was awed, but relatively tame. There was no looting, just selfies in the five guesthouses, with the peacocks and pet ostriches and Burmese fowl, on the vast grounds a Washington Post reporter said reminded him “of Marie Antoinette’s idealized peasant village at Versailles.”

Days earlier, on February 20, 48 protesters had died in fierce clashes with Yanukovych’s paramilitary forces, the culmination of a months-long series of rolling street battles centered in Kyiv’s iconic Maidan Nezalezhnosti, or Independence Square — site of the Ukrainian parliament. In 2014, facing pressure from his benefactor, Vladimir Putin, to crack down on civil unrest, Yanukovych had directed riot police to use live ammunition and snipers to fire into the crowd of thousands that had gathered to demand his resignation. The square, with its soaring pillar topped with a golden angel, was scarred with ash and littered with corpses.

It was the climax of Yanukovych’s reign — and its end; he fled three days later, leaving his residence and all its trappings behind, as the protests continued to swell. In many ways, that bloody winter owed its tragic toll to the work of another man, one for whom Yanukovych had been one of many protégés: Paul Manafort.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/08/24 ... -his-wake/

It's no wonder he was attracted to a degenerate, would-be dictator like Donald Trump.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:40 am

No collusion. :pop:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 am

Paul is a man of honour - Rudy said so only two days ago. And Friday morning Rudy said that "the President did nothing wrong and Paul Manafort will tell the truth" to prosecutors - or so everybody thought.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 am

If he knows something he should have flipped a long time ago. Why wait till now? I'd guess that if he knows anything then he's stayed quiet because he had stronger loyalties elsewhere. I mean most people are going to flip on Trump right away aren't they? :dunno: