Celebrity Sexual Harassment Charge Sheet

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Celebrity Sexual Harassment Charge Sheet

Post by Hermit » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:34 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:17 pm
boys, do not touch without asking!
And above all, don't fart. Or at least don't fart so loudly. According to Ashleigh Ingle*
By farting louder the man is using passive-aggressive violence to position himself as dominant, this intimidates the woman to subconsciously not release as much flatulence and thus the woman fearing for her safety doesn't fart as loud as a sign of submissiveness, this in turn contributes to rape culture and women being oppressed.
*I can't find any corroboration that Ashleigh Ingle has actually said or written something as ludicrous as that, though there is this:

It might be another joke.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Is the noise or the smell the factor that is weighed more heavily?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:26 pm

There is always the silent but deadly one...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:19 am

Pull my finger.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:28 pm

DRSB wrote:
OK, he kissed her on the lips but she thanked him. Now he is under major pressure, licence in California revoked. She claims he grabbed her on the bum after the interview, witnesses deny, he claims he has videos of how she partied until 3 o'clock with his team. She does not look like a harassed woman but I hope he learned a lesson there, boys, do not touch without asking!
"Looked" like a harassed woman? We can't assume what a harassed woman would look like. She could have felt pressured to play along and let boys be boys, while inside she was screaming the whole time "no! no! no!"

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:30 pm

laklak wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:19 am
Pull my finger.
Vader.jpg
You are part of the rebel alliance, now Pull My Finger!
Vader.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:45 am

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:28 pm
DRSB wrote:
OK, he kissed her on the lips but she thanked him. Now he is under major pressure, licence in California revoked. She claims he grabbed her on the bum after the interview, witnesses deny, he claims he has videos of how she partied until 3 o'clock with his team. She does not look like a harassed woman but I hope he learned a lesson there, boys, do not touch without asking!
"Looked" like a harassed woman? We can't assume what a harassed woman would look like. She could have felt pressured to play along and let boys be boys, while inside she was screaming the whole time "no! no! no!"

He posted videos of how she was doing dirty dancing on the lap of some guy of his team during the party after the interview.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am

How misogynistic! Just because she wanted to dirty dance on the lap of some guy, doesn't mean she was open season for kisses! That's like saying a woman's conduct and actions has relevance to whether she consented. She says she didn't consent, and she's a woman. That's all that's needed.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:30 pm

What's good for the gander...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am
How misogynistic! Just because she wanted to dirty dance on the lap of some guy, doesn't mean she was open season for kisses! That's like saying a woman's conduct and actions has relevance to whether she consented. She says she didn't consent, and she's a woman. That's all that's needed.
I agree, no amount of dirty dancing gives some guy the right to kiss a woman on the mouth on camera. He must know what he is doing. He says this was an emotional friendly outburst. As for her, she laughed and thanked him rather than slapping him. I wonder why women do not react in the heat of the moment.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

The same reason most reasonable people don't, we need a moment to process what has happened and to understand how we feel about it. Of course, during that processing we will be influencing how we "felt" about it as well. I guess this is where input from our culture may play a role. --tricky business--

Best not to kiss anyone without being very sure it's welcome. Thankfully that's pretty easy for most of us because we are so inhibited.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Did I just mansplain something? :lol: But you asked! Besides, it irked me that you asked why "women" as though men are always acting in the moment!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:34 pm

DRSB wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:12 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am
I agree, no amount of dirty dancing gives some guy the right to kiss a woman on the mouth on camera. He must know what he is doing. He says this was an emotional friendly outburst. As for her, she laughed and thanked him rather than slapping him. I wonder why women do not react in the heat of the moment.
It's this:
kissing-sailor.jpg
The Kiss
That sailor lived to the ripe old age of 95, when he died without ever facing justice for his sexual assault.

Thankfully, we now live in a culture where such things will no longer go unpunished.

Heck, not only are these women assaulted, but they have their pictures taken without their consent and their assaults are published in mainstream news.

Like 21 year old Greta Zimmer. She recounts the kiss as if it wasn't even sexual assault. Her view of it is that the sailor was jubilant, was very glad not to be going back to the Pacific, and he grabbed her and held her tight and planted a non-romantic kiss on her, and let her go. She never reported it, and the culture then was that this wasn't something that needed reporting. Patriarchy.

The photographer, who never got consent to sell or publish the picture of an assault, made money, as did Life Magazine, and nobody paid Greta Zimmer anything for it. So, for the rest of her life, she was constantly revictimized as the gaze of millions of people surveyed her assault. And, she didn't even know it, having been so brainwashed by the patriarchy.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Best not to kiss anyone without being very sure it's welcome. Thankfully that's pretty easy for most of us because we are so inhibited.
The Brits have it down. From what I have been told, they aren't even to make eye contact without consent, especially on The Tube.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:01 pm

This is an old problem with photography, who earns the money, the model or the photographer, the Afghan/Pashtun girl with the green eyes learned about her fame only 17 years after the photo that earned millions (and awards).