Celebrity Sexual Harassment Charge Sheet

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Celebrity Sexual Harassment Charge Sheet

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm

I guess much of this is dependent upon context, how well you know the person and the nature of the relationship,. but I'm wondering where the line is - a broad grey one no doubt. In some cases complimenting a woman on her appearance could be construed as harassment - on her body almost certainly, if you didn't have the 'right' relationship. Saying straight out you would like to have sex with them, if done in an appropriately respectful manner, need not be I would suggest, but almost certainly would be.

It is a fucking minefield I tell you! A minefield!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Yes - however, sexual harassment is not purely subjective. It has a subjective and objective component.

It is objective, in that the conduct must be itself harassing and based on sex.

It is subjective, in that even conduct which is welcomed or not unwelcome is not sexually harassing, even if it looks really crude and rude, etc.

Sexual harassment is not defined as "conduct a person says they don't like" or "conduct a person believes is sexually harassing."

And, typically, sexual harassment occurs or applies in defined circumstances. I.e. conduct at work might be sexually harassing, but that same conduct in a bar is not sexually harassing. In a bar, the general laws against "harassment" apply and related more to threats and stalking than with mere conduct which is sexually suggestive.

I.e., if you tell a person that they will only be promoted if they sleep with you, then that's sexual harassment if the person does not want the sexual overture, but telling a person that you will only buy them dinner and drinks if they sleep with you is not sexual harassment even if the person does not want the sexual overture.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I don't disagree with any of that. Using status or power to coerce a person into having sex is clearly harassment, but it is more than that - it is akin to extortion. Casual communication which can be misconstrued though can also be interpreted that way.

As an example I was on one of my regular dog walk routes a couple of months ago. I was in a quiet area of a park - nobody much about, but a young woman of about 18 I would say was collecting litter as someone had been antisocial enough to dump some there.

I thought her actions were laudable and praiseworthy and I said so as I was passing. The girl/woman looked awkward and uncomfortable and didn't really respond except with a nod. I didn't want to make her even more uncomfortable so I just walked on.

Later I described the little episode with a good female friend of mine. Her view was that a girl alone in a quiet park was entitled to feel uncomfortable and potentially 'harassed' by s male stranger coming up to her and opening up a conversation. Personally I found that hard to accept, but I defer to my female friend as she is female and I am not. 'Harassment' does not necessarily have to be coercive or for that matter aggressive I guess. And of course, another female individual in the young woman's place might have reacted quite differently and have been happy to open up a conversation about the loutish littering habits of young yobs.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 pm

That sounds like an awful way to go about things Rum --yuck! What's wrong with just being misunderstood? -fuck'em 'n fuck me too when I do it to someone else :biggrin:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:That sounds like an awful way to go about things Rum --yuck! What's wrong with just being misunderstood? -fuck'em 'n fuck me too when I do it to someone else :biggrin:
I think you are right. Being 'uncomfortable' is just tough and there are a lot - a shitload of worse things in life. If we are afraid of stepping on egg shells all the time social interaction will just gradually shut down. There is a risk of a degrading of natural human resilience.

I can't say I didn't think sexual thoughts about the young women though.. :biggrin: She was pretty damned hot. :hehe:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

She may have been a telepath, Rum... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 pm

JimC wrote:She may have been a telepath, Rum... :tea:
I can but hope...

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:38 pm

I think Kevin Spacey’s just overtaken Winestain. 20 complaints originating from his time at the Old Vic.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Al Franken.

LOL - He's good enough, he's smart enough, and gosh darn it, chicks dig him!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

Forty Two wrote:Yes - however, sexual harassment is not purely subjective. It has a subjective and objective component.

Norma: "Dad, I want to pass my maths test."
Dad, touching Norma's knee: "Norma, you know what to do to get that pass, don't you?"

Norma: "Harry, I really want that rôle"
Harry Cohn, touching Norma's knee: "Norma, you know what to do to get that rôle, don't you?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 am

Rum wrote:I don't disagree with any of that. Using status or power to coerce a person into having sex is clearly harassment, but it is more than that - it is akin to extortion. Casual communication which can be misconstrued though can also be interpreted that way.

As an example I was on one of my regular dog walk routes a couple of months ago. I was in a quiet area of a park - nobody much about, but a young woman of about 18 I would say was collecting litter as someone had been antisocial enough to dump some there.

I thought her actions were laudable and praiseworthy and I said so as I was passing. The girl/woman looked awkward and uncomfortable and didn't really respond except with a nod. I didn't want to make her even more uncomfortable so I just walked on.

Later I described the little episode with a good female friend of mine. Her view was that a girl alone in a quiet park was entitled to feel uncomfortable and potentially 'harassed' by s male stranger coming up to her and opening up a conversation. Personally I found that hard to accept, but I defer to my female friend as she is female and I am not. 'Harassment' does not necessarily have to be coercive or for that matter aggressive I guess. And of course, another female individual in the young woman's place might have reacted quite differently and have been happy to open up a conversation about the loutish littering habits of young yobs.
I agree that she is entitled to feel uncomfortable and potentially harassed. Everyone is entitled to feel however they feel. Even if a man felt uncomfortable in exactly the same circumstance, he is entitled to feel that way. Why not? Some people feel uncomfortable on a ladder, or when confronted with a clown. There is no deference necessary here, because nobody knows how other people feel.

That entitlement to feelings does not define sexual harassment. It's a necessary, but not sufficient condition for there to be sexual harassment. You are not, Rum, required to go through life assuming people are "uncomfortable" when you say to someone that their actions are laudable and praiseworthy as you pass them. You are "entitled" to your feelings too, and you are "entitled" to exist in the world too. You are entitled to move down that same street, and you are not an offender by virtue of doing it.

Change the story a bit, and you are now a black man, dressed in denim pants and a hoodie at night, and you're walking in a sparsely traveled area and you pass a young white woman who is uncomfortable. Let's say she's uncomfortable because you are a man. Or, let's say she's uncomfortable because you are a black man. She's entitled to feel that way. But, your behavior doesn't become sexual or other harassment because of that.

devogue

Post by devogue » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:50 am

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Yes - however, sexual harassment is not purely subjective. It has a subjective and objective component.

Dad, touching Norma's knee: "Norma, you know what to do to get that pass, don't you?"

Harry Cohn, touching Norma's knee: "Norma, you know what to do to get that rôle, don't you?"
Eh?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 am

Hermit wrote:

Exactly - subjective and objective components.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm

What? But it's just a touch on the knee. Why is everybody so quick to tell boys and girls that such trivial actions are worthy of being categorised as sexual harassment? Norma really needs to chill out and get proper perspective on this.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:What? But it's just a touch on the knee. Why is everybody so quick to tell boys and girls that such trivial actions are worthy of being categorised as sexual harassment? Norma really needs to chill out and get proper perspective on this.
Indeed, because if that's all that she reports happened, then it's a big nothing.

The reason more facts are needed is because we don't know if he's referring to studying or something else. My dad used to tell me all that time that I knew what I had to do to pass a test or do well in school. Do my homework and study.

Someone who says "he told me I knew what I needed to do to pass that test," and "I felt uncomfortable because I think he meant something sexual" is not giving enough information to conclude it was about sex.