Feeling depressed? Get stoned.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Feeling depressed? Get stoned.

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm

mistermack wrote:
Svartalf wrote: Benzos are not all bad, xanax is excellent to deal with my anxiety attacks. but I take it only when needed, so I don't think I'm hooked as tha attacksare not a daily occurrence.
Do you think it would help at the dentist? I absolutely hate the dentist these days. Not because I'm scared of any of the treatment, I'm scared of panicking. ( Ludicrous, but that's how it goes ).

Might be worth asking the doctor, if you rate it. I very rarely use any drugs, even for headaches, as I don't like the thought of getting dependent on them. But twice a year would be fairly safe, I would have thought.
A couple of valium would definitely stop the risk of a panic attack at the dentist. They often give them to people anxious prior to an operation.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Rum wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
rainbow wrote:Drugs are not the answer, but at least you no longer care about the question.
depends which drugs, I recall benzos doing that to me back in '91.... but it has not been much the case with other drugs I've been prescribed. Can't speak for the illegal kind, since I never tried them.
Benzodiazepines are very good for short term interventions, but tend to be prescribed for chronic anxiety. Then dependence is often an issue. Low dose tramadol can work quite well, but at higher doses it is very nasty.
Beware is my advice. I was prescribed benzos when I was going through a difficult divorce in my early 30s - just before it was realised quite how addictive they were. The particularly nasty brand I was prescribed were called Ativan.

I was on them for two years - criminal in my view - and was of course hooked. My GP belatedly realised what was happening and tried to reduce the dosage but it didn't work and in the end I locked myself in my house with two bottles of whiskey and cold turkeyed it for the whole weekend. The walls melted and I had other hallucinations. One of the most dreadful experiences of my life.

They are a lot more cautious in prescribing them these days - quite rightly.
I fucking love them. I'm lucky too that I don't seem to get addicted to stuff. Which also means I can shovel down oxycodons with wilful abandon. :D
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 pm

mistermack wrote:
Svartalf wrote: Benzos are not all bad, xanax is excellent to deal with my anxiety attacks. but I take it only when needed, so I don't think I'm hooked as tha attacksare not a daily occurrence.
Do you think it would help at the dentist? I absolutely hate the dentist these days. Not because I'm scared of any of the treatment, I'm scared of panicking. ( Ludicrous, but that's how it goes ).

Might be worth asking the doctor, if you rate it. I very rarely use any drugs, even for headaches, as I don't like the thought of getting dependent on them. But twice a year would be fairly safe, I would have thought.
They're perfect for anxiety like that. Hook into them! :food:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:44 pm

pErvin wrote:I fucking love them. I'm lucky too that I don't seem to get addicted to stuff. Which also means I can shovel down oxycodons with wilful abandon. :D
:ask: :ask: :think: :think: :fp2: :cheers2:
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm

I can't stand them. I'd rather just practice relaxing beforehand.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:I can't stand them. I'd rather just practice relaxing beforehand.
I practice relaxing 24/7 so I can't do any more unless they increase the hours in the day.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:13 pm

:lol:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am

Svartalf wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
rainbow wrote:Drugs are not the answer, but at least you no longer care about the question.
depends which drugs, I recall benzos doing that to me back in '91.... but it has not been much the case with other drugs I've been prescribed. Can't speak for the illegal kind, since I never tried them.
Benzodiazepines are very good for short term interventions, but tend to be prescribed for chronic anxiety. Then dependence is often an issue. Low dose tramadol can work quite well, but at higher doses it is very nasty.
Tamadol is not a benzo, it's an opioid, and it never made me feel euphoric or anything, it just made the pain in my wrist bearable.
Correct, but it isn't the analgesic effect that is important in depression (unless of course the depression is pain related). Tramadol inhibits the reuptake of serotonin. This means that if you have depression related to serotonin levels, it will make you happier. It doesn't carry on making you happier if you take more though, since an excess of serotonin will make you very ill and can kill you.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 am

Serotonin syndrome occurs when you take medications that cause high levels of the chemical serotonin to accumulate in your body.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20354758
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:53 am

We are all dopamine addicts at the end of the day.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

rainbow wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
Tamadol is not a benzo, it's an opioid, and it never made me feel euphoric or anything, it just made the pain in my wrist bearable.
Correct, but it isn't the analgesic effect that is important in depression (unless of course the depression is pain related). Tramadol inhibits the reuptake of serotonin. This means that if you have depression related to serotonin levels, it will make you happier. It doesn't carry on making you happier if you take more though, since an excess of serotonin will make you very ill and can kill you.
I had a "mild" case of serotonin syndrome when I swapped onto one particular anti-depressant. That was a crazy couple of days.. :?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm

rEv, you are a walking, talking pharmaceutical test bed!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm

When he goes for a jog his ballocks rattle like a pair of mariachi maracas.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:09 pm

BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 am

JimC wrote:rEv, you are a walking, talking pharmaceutical test bed!
:lol: Yeah, I am, it seems.