Australia proposes drugs tests for jobseekers

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Australia proposes drugs tests for jobseekers

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Indeed, if you can convince the voting public that the majority of benefit recipients are feckless freeloaders paid to be on holiday while they fritter their money away on lottery tickets, massive TVs and video games then great things can be achieved.
I don't think it has to be a majority of the recipients. A majority of people in society would not murder people, even if there was no chance they'd get caught or suffer criminal penalty. Most people don't want to kill people, and it's not because it's illegal. Yet, we have laws because there is a societal cost to the very small number of people who commit those kinds of crimes.

Similarly, even if only small percentage of benefits recipients abuse the system, it presents a similar societal cost. Money is being paid out unjustifiably, and the payments represent a subsidy toward lack of participation in the economic activities in the country, and it also, to some people (a lot of people) represents a subsidy of inappropriate behavior.

In other words, this does not have to be the false choice between side A (those who want to be generous and make sure that money is doled out without the slightest possible condition or judgment) and side B (those who only grudgingly, if at all, want to dole out funds to only the extremely needy, who are made to be embarrassed and feel guilty about it). There is a middle ground here, where there is both a recognition of the need to assist people in need and a willingness to give people a hand up, but also a recognition that like all groups of people there are elements within the group who will take advantage and be abusive of the system, and that it's necessary to accommodate both of these interests. Adopting that third, middle ground, position does not make a person disdainful of the poor, or accusatory of them in the sense of suggesting that they are a majority slothful, wasteful, group who waste the largess of others on luxuries.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Who decides what's wise? And who decides who decides?
Me.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm cool with that. :smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 am

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Indeed, if you can convince the voting public that the majority of benefit recipients are feckless freeloaders paid to be on holiday while they fritter their money away on lottery tickets, massive TVs and video games then great things can be achieved.
I don't think it has to be a majority of the recipients. A majority of people in society would not murder people, even if there was no chance they'd get caught or suffer criminal penalty. Most people don't want to kill people, and it's not because it's illegal. Yet, we have laws because there is a societal cost to the very small number of people who commit those kinds of crimes.

Similarly, even if only small percentage of benefits recipients abuse the system, it presents a similar societal cost.
Rubbish. A small number of pot smokers and even smaller number of harder drug users don't present much of a societal cost. Certainly nothing like murdering people. If you are worried about societal costs then you better get on with banning alcohol. It's societal cost is huge and dwarfs every other drug, and also murder.
Money is being paid out unjustifiably,
How is it unjustifiable? If these people are poor and unemployed, then it is justified.
and the payments represent a subsidy toward lack of participation in the economic activities in the country,
There are more job seekers than jobs available. It's increasing economic activity, as without that welfare payment the vast majority of these people would have no money at all to spend in the economy.
and it also, to some people (a lot of people) represents a subsidy of inappropriate behavior.
And why should the rational amongst us worry about the backward morals of a bunch of irrational idiots?
In other words, this does not have to be the false choice between side A (those who want to be generous and make sure that money is doled out without the slightest possible condition or judgment) and side B (those who only grudgingly, if at all, want to dole out funds to only the extremely needy, who are made to be embarrassed and feel guilty about it). There is a middle ground here, where there is both a recognition of the need to assist people in need and a willingness to give people a hand up, but also a recognition that like all groups of people there are elements within the group who will take advantage and be abusive of the system, and that it's necessary to accommodate both of these interests. Adopting that third, middle ground, position does not make a person disdainful of the poor, or accusatory of them in the sense of suggesting that they are a majority slothful, wasteful, group who waste the largess of others on luxuries.
It does when that person focuses on the poor and largely ignores the biggest welfare recipients and drug abusers in society - the rich and wealthy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:48 am

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

Similarly, even if only small percentage of benefits recipients abuse the system, it presents a similar societal cost.
Rubbish. A small number of pot smokers and even smaller number of harder drug users don't present much of a societal cost. Certainly nothing like murdering people. If you are worried about societal costs then you better get on with banning alcohol. It's societal cost is huge and dwarfs every other drug, and also murder.
I did not refer to banning anything I'm for legalizing drugs. It wasn't just pot smokers or hard drug users that I was referring to. The issue was with the misuse of welfare funds, which are intended to give people a leg up when they are in need. People who are using the money to buy beer and cigarettes, or junk food, or other non-necessaries, are abusing the system. Just because it's a small percentage does not mean that the behavior must be allowed under the system. Just set the cards up to only allow certain purchases. In today's world, that's easy.

People on the dole are no more honest than hedge fund managers, corporate CEOs, venture capitalists and the like. They're all people. So, just as we would not allow white collar fraud to go unpunished, even though only a very small percentage of money managers engage in that kind of criminal behavior, we also do not have to permit welfare misuse.
pErvin wrote:
How is it unjustifiable? If these people are poor and unemployed, then it is justified.
If they're using the money for things that are not necessities of the food, clothing, shelter, heat and hot water variety, then it's unjustified. If a person is destitute, that poverty doesn't make spending money on quaaludes and hookers justified.

pErvin wrote:
and the payments represent a subsidy toward lack of participation in the economic activities in the country,
There are more job seekers than jobs available. It's increasing economic activity, as without that welfare payment the vast majority of these people would have no money at all to spend in the economy.
That does not justify wasteful spending. It justifies payment of money to the needy for their needs. It doesn't justify what we're talking about, which is wasteful spending.
pErvin wrote:
and it also, to some people (a lot of people) represents a subsidy of inappropriate behavior.
And why should the rational amongst us worry about the backward morals of a bunch of irrational idiots?
Nobody has to worry about anyone's backward morals, including those who think being poor means it's not a waste of money to spend welfare money on booze and hookers.
pErvin wrote:
It does when that person focuses on the poor and largely ignores the biggest welfare recipients and drug abusers in society - the rich and wealthy.
I'm for cracking down on them more. It's not either or.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:03 am

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:
If they're using the money for things that are not necessities of the food, clothing, shelter, heat and hot water variety, then it's unjustified. If a person is destitute, that poverty doesn't make spending money on quaaludes and hookers justified.
You said paying the money out is what would be unjustified, not the spending off it on non-essentials. If someone is poor and unemployed, then paying them money is justifiable. If they spend some of that money on gratuitous non-essentials, then that's a problem, but it still doesn't justify leaving a member of society destitute. And as I said, drug addiction is a medical/social problem. Dishing out moral opprobrium, or even worse, cutting off payments, isn't a solution to getting someone off drugs.
pErvin wrote:
That does not justify wasteful spending. It justifies payment of money to the needy for their needs. It doesn't justify what we're talking about, which is wasteful spending.
You are moving the goalposts. You said that in these cases it subsidises a "lack of participation in the economic activities in the country". It does no such thing, as I explained.
pErvin wrote:
I'm for cracking down on them more. It's not either or.
I thought we were talking about a hypothetical person. I wasn't referring to you, necessarily.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 am

rEv wrote:

If they spend some of that money on gratuitous non-essentials, then that's a problem, but it still doesn't justify leaving a member of society destitute.
Very true, but it is not not an argument against welfare being guided, at least for some people, into cards for essentials (and maybe rent assistance, whatever) plus x amount of cash, as long as the total payment is the same (whether that total should be raised is a separate argument)

I know that there are other arguments against this, but for some people, it might actually be something that they would want. What about a voluntary version, which included free treatment for their medical/drug problems, plus perhaps a bonus 5%?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 am

I think that would be a great idea. Apparently this (the welfare debit card) has worked in some of the Aboriginal communities. But having said that, I think I heard that from a politician or one of the conservative Aboriginals like Warren Mundine.

Here's an interesting article about welfare and drug addiction and how things like a universal basic income could very well reduce drug addiction and use - http://www.scottsantens.com/what-do-we- ... ic-incomes

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 am

Forty Two wrote:... People who are using the money to buy beer and cigarettes, or junk food, or other non-necessaries, are abusing the system ...
If you can put these moral judgements about the content of the character of welfare recipients aside, judgements based on the purchase of certain items, you'll also notice that the poor people buying beer, cigarettes, burgers, and other things you consider unnecessary, are actually contributing to the economy.

What do you think would be the economic consequences of increasing the income of the impoverished bottom quintile of the population by, say, 10% compared to increasing the income of the top quintile by the same amount?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 am

Encouraging bureaucracy that way. Should be a genetic test for criminality genes and those found with them should be sent to a remote part of Australia where they can break rocks. Keep it simple for everyone else. Welfare programs waste huge amounts on behind the scenes tinkering in the name of so called 'fairness' actually Marxist mindfucking of both staff & claimants orchestrated by control freak politicians and the 'moralising' press.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 am

Genetic tests for criminality are still in their early stages. At present more reliable methods are available...

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:37 am

Crumple wrote:

...should be sent to a remote part of Australia where they can break rocks...
That's what our doctorates in geology are sentenced to...

Harsh but fair... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:16 am

:lol:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 am

I don't get why spending money on non-essentials is a problem for the unemployed and not for anyone else. Especially when the cumulative non-essentials of the rich; massive houses, heated swimming pools, private jets, yaughts, jet-skis 6 litre engine cars etc. do massive, lasting environmental harm a poor person can't even compare to - and without the societal pressure and moral distain a poor person has to endure for what amounts to only damaging themselves really. Plus at least all of their welfare goes back into the economy. They're not putting their dole into offshore accounts. Nor are any of them vulture capitalists legally making a packet off the poverty and misfortune of others.

I've been on welfare and lived around people on welfare and I'd put more value on any of them then nearly any of the destructive influences and the morally bankrupt cronies in government who don't care if their tax cuts for their rich friends funnel money out of the public funds and allow healthcare and infrastructure to crumble so they can privatise it, making their rich friends still richer, and strip back wildlife protection laws allowing endangered species to perish, all so their fossil buddies can squeeze out the last few resources, with dirtier forms of extraction, against all scientific advise, because they know that when the shit hits the fan they and theirs can just move (while callously, like a modern day Marie Antoinette, ask why the poor don't simply move) to nicer climes, and they would've bought up all the good land and hogged the resources at this point anyway. Fuck all those greedy, destructive arseholes whose greed and policies aiding their greed have caused massive inequality and poverty in the first place, who now have the cheek to ask why poor people gotta be so poor.

I know heroin junkies who are more kind and decent than Trump, Paul Ryan, or any of those robber barons which make up the depraved GOP.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:36 am

I'm astonished that we still debate the 'deserving' versus the 'undeserving' poor - which is what this thread amounts to. Given that most of the left leaning people here would probably agree that poverty is a structural issue in our societies it seems paradoxical that one should continue to blame the individuals concerned for their economic status.

Sure there are people who abuse 'free handouts' and con the system, just as there are at any income level. There is no reason to assume that there are more proportionally among the poorest - though goodness knows I wouldn't blame them if there were.