Is America mentally ill?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Is America mentally ill?

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 am

Hermit wrote:Using a mental disorder as a metaphor for the state (so to speak) of a nation should be left to poets. As an analytical tool for treating individuals it has more than enough problems already. Tellingly, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, as currently used, is into its fifth revision, and it is only a matter of time for DSM 6 to appear. Apart from psychiatry there are also the fields of psychology and even psycho-analysis to pick from, not to mention the many strands within each of them.

Even as a metaphor mental disorder does not work if you suggest that the cure for the US's "classic schizophrenia" is a metaphoric "big dose of Valium". How would you go about administering it?
Via a gigantic enema, starting in Washington...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 am

Hermit wrote:Using a mental disorder as a metaphor for the state (so to speak) of a nation should be left to poets. As an analytical tool for treating individuals it has more than enough problems already. Tellingly, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, as currently used, is into its fifth revision, and it is only a matter of time for DSM 6 to appear. Apart from psychiatry there are also the fields of psychology and even psycho-analysis to pick from, not to mention the many strands within each of them.

Even as a metaphor mental disorder does not work if you suggest that the cure for the US's "classic schizophrenia" is a metaphoric "big dose of Valium". How would you go about administering it?
Large percentages of the USA are already addicted to opiates, ..Because of a private "health-care "system that handed out Oxycontin and percosets etc. The body count is already huge .
Do you think the country could cope with the wide spread paradoxical side effects of valium * ? I've lost a few friends to Valium and it is widespread in Scotland .
Coke, Heroin , legal highs , amphetamine, drink...... Nothing is as Irrational as a Valium addict when he gets a new bag of pills .

*Benzodiazepines, a class of psychoactive drugs called the "minor" tranquilizers, have varying hypnotic, sedative, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, and muscle relaxing properties, but they may create the exact opposite effects. Susceptible individuals [or idiots that drop them in quantity or with a drink ] may respond to benzodiazepine treatment with an increase in anxiety, aggressiveness, agitation, confusion, disinhibition, loss of impulse control, talkativeness, violent behavior, and even convulsions. Paradoxical adverse effects may even lead to criminal behaviour. Severe behavioral changes resulting from benzodiazepines have been reported including mania, schizophrenia, anger, impulsivity, and hypomania.
Turns out "Mother's little helper " Is a fucking monster
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:58 am

We're not crazy! We're special. Mommy told us so.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:49 am

Feck wrote:Do you think the country could cope with the wide spread paradoxical side effects of valium * ?
I don't know. My knowledge of Valium is limited. Someone slipped one or two of them into my drink at a party once. So i was told later anyway. The only noticeable result was that I had a bit of a problem maintaining my physical balance long after the effects of the untypically small amount of alcohol I drank that night had worn off. The other encounter was indirect. A friend of mine got addicted to it. A doctor described them to reduce his anxiety and depression, the causes of which turned out to be the relationship between him and his partner. The moment she moved out, his problems disappeared - except for his addiction, which he beat in a matter of a week or two.

Generally speaking, drugs like Valium don't do anything about causes. They just suppress symptoms, so I don't know why one would dose an entire population with that sort of stuff anyway.

As for the US, there is no medication, no cure. Like all empires before it, it will perish. The moment of death can be delayed or brought nearer. It cannot be avoided. As the situation stands right now, my guess is that China will administer the mercy killing, or as the German equivalent slightly more accurately calls it, Notschlachtung, in about three decades. It can be plausibly argued that the process has already begun via the flight of capital (of which manufacturing plants are just one part). If England is anything to go by, it'll take its inhabitants about a century to get used to it, but get used to it they will.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 am

As long as they don't react to the end of empire with a petulant burst of nuclear fury...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 am

Rum wrote:Clearly a country can't actually suffer a mental illness in the strict sense of the term. But let's face it the place is going nuts.

I have long been an apologist for the place, often in the face of ridicule. I believe it's constitution is a wonder of the world. But the victory of stupidity over rationality, prejudice over fair mindedness, ignorance over knowledge, self serving decisions over even a modicum of long sightedness makes me think the symptoms are not that removed from the breakdown of mental structure that goes with classic schizophrenia.

It clearly needs a big dose of Valium right now.
:lol:

I often talk about societies being "sick". Obviously a concept can't be ill, but it's the same thing you are talking about here. Our societies are messed up, and they cause needless illness, suffering and death of its members. And of course, the US seems to be the sickest, and not surprising the rest of our societies get sicker the more they try and be like the US.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 am

pErvin wrote:

And of course, the US seems to be the sickest, and not surprising the rest of our societies get sicker the more they try and be like the US.
Compared to western Europe and probably Oz and NZ, probably...

But compared to Somalia, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, China, Russia and many others?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:31 am

Feck wrote:

Large percentages of the USA are already addicted to opiates, ..Because of a private "health-care "system that handed out Oxycontin and percosets etc. The body count is already huge .
Do you think the country could cope with the wide spread paradoxical side effects of valium * ? I've lost a few friends to Valium and it is widespread in Scotland .
Coke, Heroin , legal highs , amphetamine, drink...... Nothing is as Irrational as a Valium addict when he gets a new bag of pills .

*Benzodiazepines, a class of psychoactive drugs called the "minor" tranquilizers, have varying hypnotic, sedative, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, and muscle relaxing properties, but they may create the exact opposite effects. Susceptible individuals [or idiots that drop them in quantity or with a drink ] may respond to benzodiazepine treatment with an increase in anxiety, aggressiveness, agitation, confusion, disinhibition, loss of impulse control, talkativeness, violent behavior, and even convulsions. Paradoxical adverse effects may even lead to criminal behaviour. Severe behavioral changes resulting from benzodiazepines have been reported including mania, schizophrenia, anger, impulsivity, and hypomania.
Turns out "Mother's little helper " Is a fucking monster
Every major psychological drug has a host of weird and often frightening side effects. Most of them never effect any more than a tiny fraction of people. I took a fistful of valium yesterday. Then slept for 11 hours... :shiver:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:33 am

If you exclude the properly civilized countries the Usa is probably the best of the rest ... :hehe:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 am

When I was growing up I looked up to America. Moonshots, Big Blue Marble, Banana Splits and Dukes of Hazard...they had it all. A true role model of progressive living....via the goggle-box. They put on a good show. But a people are only as good as their times allow I guess and times change. :dunno:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 am

tattuchu wrote:...

But, yes, to answer your question. About half of the U.S. are mentally unwell.
And if you believe the papers, the other half is addicted to pain medication.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 am

And the third half believe in Scientology!
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Yeah but we got gunz. That makes up for all the rest.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 pm

pErvin wrote:
Every major psychological drug has a host of weird and often frightening side effects. Most of them never effect any more than a tiny fraction of people. I took a fistful of valium yesterday. Then slept for 11 hours... :shiver:
If you have a few spare...?

My favourite drug. Just as well I don't have access or Id be a frenzied addict!