Google Teacup Tempest

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Google Teacup Tempest

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Not seeing a thread about this, so have at it. :{D

"So, about this Googler’s manifesto."
You have probably heard about the manifesto a Googler (not someone senior) published internally about, essentially, how women and men are intrinsically different and we should stop trying to make it possible for women to be engineers, it’s just not worth it.
Written by somebody who until very recently held a job at Google, the above article does an excellent job of explaining why the author of the internal letter is full of shit. More later. :smoke:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Google Teacup Tempest

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 pm

I was waiting for this. I haven't even seen it pop up on facebook. I saw a big hooha about it on reddit a few days ago. Was waiting for 42's thread on how unfair the world is to men now, or something.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:06 pm

pErvin wrote:I was waiting for this. I haven't even seen it pop up on facebook.
A link for this auntie ABC News article popped up on my facebook page this morning.

As far as I am concerned the fact that men and women differ from each other biologically is obvious - and irrelevant in the modern world. The lack of diversity is overwhelmingly caused by social rather than biological factors, and the fired Google employee is a textbook example of the former.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Men and women are different. Heard tell when there's a alpha male boss he'll preggie up all the wives of a bunch of cucks working for him, or female employees nowadays...their menstrual cycles self-coordinate so the boss can go on a rutting spree, when profits are coming in and he's high on his testosterone....then they get a raise. Evolution doesn't care about your morals or equality sham...it's unfair from the ground up.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:26 pm

That was incoherent even by your standards.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:27 pm

pErvin wrote:That was incoherent even by your standards.
...important thing is I never used Google. It is totally gender neutral. :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Fascinating.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Motherboard has a fine writeup for those who want some background, and also the full text (including associated material) of the internal note:

"Here Are the Citations for the Anti-Diversity Manifesto Circulating at Google"

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:06 pm

pErvin wrote:That was incoherent even by your standards.
Do you think he perhaps drinks?

It is actually irrelevant whether men and women are the same. have strengths and weaknesses relative to each other these days. I don't know if there are differences - though if there are I'd guess they even out generally speaking when you look at 'performance', whataver that might be. The point is that all people should have the same chances and be treated equally fairly. It isn't really very complicated - just hard to get gone.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Hehehe, you knew it was coming. Google is crapping its pants right now, I can tell you.

"Alt-Right Activists Call for Google Boycott After Employee Is Fired for Anti-Diversity Paper"
Google fired a software engineer yesterday in response to public outrage over the man’s 10-page screed against women being represented proportionally in tech companies. But the firing has become a call-to-arms for alt-right voices on the internet who are crowdfunding money for the engineer, James Damore, and are now calling for a boycott of Google.

The calls for a boycott have gained steam on Twitter, where names like Mike Cernovich, Michael Tracey, and Paul Joseph Watson have joined the chorus of people with usernames like CNNisRetarded, TheMuddyCuck, and Grammar Nawtsy in being angered by what they call “diversity crybullies.”

Some of the calls to boycott the tech giant refer to getting “red pilled,” a term popular in alt-right circles for when people see reality clearly. The term comes from the 1999 sci-fi film The Matrix, where the hero takes a red pill to see the real world around him. In this case, alt-right activists believe that getting red-pilled means you can see the misandry inherent in Google’s decision to fire the engineer.
The preeminent dingbat Cernovich has a cunning plan:
Popular alt-right conspiracy theorist Mike Cernovich has added to calls that Google become at least 50 percent Republican, saying that political affiliation should “be a protected class under anti-discrimination laws.”
They want 50% women in tech? We want 50% Republicans.
Cernovich has even proposed that the US Department of Justice demand to see what kind of political affiliation exists at every company and enforce some kind of quota. At least I think that’s what he’s calling for since tech companies themselves aren’t registered as political parties.
I call on the EEOC and the Justice Department to subpoena every tech company for their political party registration.
There's plenty of other inspiring stuff from the butthurt wannabes of the alt-right in the piece. :funny:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 am

Someone needs to punch that Cernovich in the face.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 am

No, all he needs is a good talking to...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:19 am

I think the bailiff should whack his pee-pee.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Well, it's up to Google who they employ, and this guy was an at-will employee.
It's none of my business who they fire or who he works for.

That being said, I read the paper and it's rather uncontroversial:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... hamber.pdf
I hope it’s clear that I'm not saying that diversity is bad, that Google or society is 100% fair, that
we shouldn't try to correct for existing biases, or that minorities have the same experience of
those in the majority. My larger point is that we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that
don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender
roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another
member of their group (tribalism).
Upon reading the entirety of the article, I really don't see much in it that is really a big deal. But, he called his employer an ideological echo chamber and criticized the people with the power to discipline him, and he criticized company policy. He did so publicly. So, he had to know he was playing with fire. My guess is he really had had it with Google already and didn't care if he got fired. Maybe he wanted to make a big splash, and figured some conservative leaning managers or business owners somewhere would offer to hire him.

Google has turned into a douchey left-wing progressive echo chamber. He's rather right about that, it seems to me. But, calling your employer that is going to get you identified as a problem employee. Problem employees get fired.

Fuck google. They're full of shit anyway. They could hire all the female computer engineers they want. Go do it, and train the ones that need training. This is all window dressing.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:44 pm

"Google has turned into a douchey left-wing progressive echo chamber."
Google messed up when they decided to show people search results that favoured their previous searches .
When you search on Google they give you the stuff an algorithm has decided you want to see .
There isn't much point to a search engine that only confirms your own bias .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread