"Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: "Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Hermit » Thu May 10, 2018 2:20 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 pm
When you listen to Peterson, you soon learn that at the core of what he's talking about is how people can find meaning and purpose in life.
When I listened to Peterson I learnt that the core of what he's talking about is that men represent order, and Chaos—the unknown—is symbolically associated with the feminine, that the soul of the individual eternally hungers for the heroism of genuine Being, that feminists avoid criticizing Islam because they unconsciously long for masculine dominance and other weird and wonderful ejaculations. He is indeed sprouting right-wing pieties seductively mythologized for our current lost generations.

Mind you, Cathy Newman was an utter dipstick. She ran the "So you are saying" line about once every minute for the duration of the interview, and about half the time she was either totally wrong or spectacularly off the mark. Peterson could not have hoped for a better result. Inattentive listeners could have easily concluded that he is sane.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu May 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Never mind Cathy Newman. Read the book review which got Peterson all angry by Pankaj Mishra.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/19 ... mysticism/

To sum up, he talks a load of big words which dazzle his fans with sophisticated nonsense fans, not wanting to look stupid, believe great wisdom has been imparted upon them.

This is why I gave the Deepak Chopra comparison.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:20 pm
Forty Two wrote:
When you listen to Peterson, you soon learn that at the core of what he's talking about is how people can find meaning and purpose in life.
When I listened to Peterson I learnt that the core of what he's talking about is that men represent order, and Chaos—the unknown—is symbolically associated with the feminine, that the soul of the individual eternally hungers for the heroism of genuine Being, that feminists avoid criticizing Islam because they unconsciously long for masculine dominance and other weird and wonderful ejaculations. He is indeed sprouting right-wing pieties seductively mythologized for our current lost generations.
None of that sounds particularly right wing or pious. But I think you are taking the blurbs without context. Chaos is a symbol. Chaos is what is unpredictable. The unknown is what is unpredictable. Everything in your experience first appears out of the unknown: hence the unknown gives birth to everything; hence it is symbolized as female. Chaos, the primordial sea, tiamat, the mother, creation, that out of which order arises.

He's talking about archetypes.
Hermit wrote:
Mind you, Cathy Newman was an utter dipstick. She ran the "So you are saying" line about once every minute for the duration of the interview, and about half the time she was either totally wrong or spectacularly off the mark. Peterson could not have hoped for a better result. Inattentive listeners could have easily concluded that he is sane.
I think it's those with a surface understanding of what he's saying that come away thinking he's a right wing wacko. The guy is basically a liberal.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I love these stupid, little diagrams Peterson has too.
Cmaxqwf.jpg
:lol:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Cmaxqwf.jpg

Uh... :?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Fake rationality...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:59 pm
The guy is basically a liberal.
Why doesn't it surprise me you would say that? No, the answer is not that Peterson is one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 am

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
None of that sounds particularly right wing or pious. But I think you are taking the blurbs without context. Chaos is a symbol. Chaos is what is unpredictable. The unknown is what is unpredictable. Everything in your experience first appears out of the unknown: hence the unknown gives birth to everything; hence it is symbolized as female. Chaos, the primordial sea, tiamat, the mother, creation, that out of which order arises.

So women are archetypically chaotic?
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
I think it's those with a surface understanding of what he's saying that come away thinking he's a right wing wacko. The guy is basically a liberal.
And yet the right and the alt-right adore him. What do think about his Christian apologetics and his trenchant opposition to atheism?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 am

Rick Santorum is basically a liberal.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 11, 2018 2:03 am

Animavore wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Cmaxqwf.jpg

:o It takes a special brain to produce a diagram as incoherent as that.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 am

The claim that he's a liberal, implying that he isn't a conservative, rings empty for me, as most liberals are really conservatives. They are only liberal about things that benefit them.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 am
The claim that he's a liberal, implying that he isn't a conservative, rings empty for me, as most liberals are really conservatives. They are only liberal about things that benefit them.
The thing you have to remember is 42 is modelling himself, this new persona, on Peterson. I've even, since reading some Peterson, even noticed 42 has plagiarised his work with some of his 'own' opinions. So of course he thinks Jordan's actually really a liberal. He believes he himself is too.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am

Another great article on Peterson.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/ ... we-deserve

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri May 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Animavore wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 am
The thing you have to remember is 42 is modelling himself, this new persona, on Peterson. I've even, since reading some Peterson, even noticed 42 has plagiarised his work with some of his 'own' opinions. So of course he thinks Jordan's actually really a liberal. He believes he himself is too.
I am liberal. What I'm not is leftist, because leftists are anything but liberal.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Re:

Post by Forty Two » Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 am
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

So women are archetypically chaotic?
Chaos is the feminine archetype, as noted, because everything is birthed out of chaos. He's saying that's why humans created symbols and archetypes of Chaos as feminine --

Note he's referring to the feminine aspect, not "women." It's masculine/feminine duality, a western yin-yang concept.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 am
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
And yet the right and the alt-right adore him. What do think about his Christian apologetics and his trenchant opposition to atheism?
Oh, well, I'm an atheist, so I oppose the belief in gods.

His approach to Christianity is quite refreshing for someone who claims to be religious. He does not take an orthodox or literal view of Christianity, and he's never engaged in Apologetics as such. He calls the Bible a collection of “meta-stories” - ancient stories that evolved over thousands of years by combining the distilled truth out of hundreds of smaller stories until they were finally written down in their final form. Put another way, the Bible, and mythology in general, are the meta-stories that have been “dreamed up” by humanity’s collective unconscious (which is powered in large part by our biology).

That is how I've approached the Bible, too, as an atheist. The stories have meaning as allegory and metaphor. The characters in the Bible did not really exist, but their stories have meanings and like Aesop's Fables have "morals" or lessons to take away. I don't think there really was a dog who had a bone and saw his reflection in the water, barked at the other dog he thought he saw because he wanted the other dog's bone, and then lost his own (the moral of the story meaning don't be greedy), and I don't believe there was an ant and a grasshopper, and the ant worked hard and saved for winter, but the grasshopper frittered away the summer playing and then had no food for winter, and came asking the ant to share his food. I don't think those things really happened, but they are life lessons. Likewise, anyone who has read the bible carefully will find similar lessons in the stories throughout the Bible. Even as an atheist, these ancient writings have value.

One can totally ignore or redefine the supernatural when interpreting religious writings this way. And for the most part, that’s exactly what Peterson does. We can see this in action in how he interprets the Cain & Abel story. To Peterson, it is not a personal-monotheistic-divine Being that is displeased with Cain’s sacrifice, but society at large. Meanwhile, Cain becomes an archetype of someone who, unable to climb up the social hierarchy, lashes out at the community in a murderous frenzy. A high school shooting is an example of the Cain & Abel meta-story playing itself out.

So religion has given us many good stories that teach us how society functions and the best way for us to function within it. Does Peterson go any farther than this? It doesn't seem so; or if he does, then not much farther. He doesn't hold any concrete views on the existence of a soul/spirit, claiming we can’t know for sure until we understand more about consciousness and to him heaven and hell are merely modes of reality that we live through here and now. His answer to whether or not God exists was: “I act as if God exists”, purposefully being vague as he “doesn't like being boxed in."