"Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: "Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Animavore » Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 am

Trump uses that a lot when he is speaking.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Apparently people could find meaning and purpose in life if only society 'enforced monogamy.' Who knew? Fair warning, the link below is to The New York Times, which limits free articles per month. If you don't want to waste one on reading about Jordan Po-Faced Peterson, don't bother clicking.

'Jordan Peterson, Custodian of the Patriarchy'
Mr. Peterson illustrates his arguments with copious references to ancient myths — bringing up stories of witches, biblical allegories and ancient traditions. I ask why these old stories should guide us today.

“It makes sense that a witch lives in a swamp. Yeah,” he says. “Why?”

It’s a hard one.

“Right. That’s right. You don’t know. It’s because those things hang together at a very deep level. Right. Yeah. And it makes sense that an old king lives in a desiccated tower.”

But witches don’t exist, and they don’t live in swamps, I say.

“Yeah, they do. They do exist. They just don’t exist the way you think they exist. They certainly exist. You may say well dragons don’t exist. It’s, like, yes they do — the category predator and the category dragon are the same category. It absolutely exists. It’s a superordinate category. It exists absolutely more than anything else. In fact, it really exists. What exists is not obvious. You say, ‘Well, there’s no such thing as witches.’ Yeah, I know what you mean, but that isn’t what you think when you go see a movie about them. You can’t help but fall into these categories. There’s no escape from them.”

Recently, a young man named Alek Minassian drove through Toronto trying to kill people with his van. Ten were killed, and he has been charged with first-degree murder for their deaths, and with attempted murder for 16 people who were injured. Mr. Minassian declared himself to be part of a misogynist group whose members call themselves incels. The term is short for “involuntary celibates,” though the group has evolved into a male supremacist movement made up of people — some celibate, some not — who believe that women should be treated as sexual objects with few rights. Some believe in forced “sexual redistribution,” in which a governing body would intervene in women’s lives to force them into sexual relationships.

Violent attacks are what happens when men do not have partners, Mr. Peterson says, and society needs to work to make sure those men are married.

“He was angry at God because women were rejecting him,” Mr. Peterson says of the Toronto killer. “The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”

Mr. Peterson does not pause when he says this. Enforced monogamy is, to him, simply a rational solution. Otherwise women will all only go for the most high-status men, he explains, and that couldn’t make either gender happy in the end.

“Half the men fail,” he says, meaning that they don’t procreate. “And no one cares about the men who fail.”

I laugh, because it is absurd.

“You’re laughing about them,” he says, giving me a disappointed look. “That’s because you’re female.”

But aside from interventions that would redistribute sex, Mr. Peterson is staunchly against what he calls “equality of outcomes,” or efforts to equalize society. He usually calls them pathological or evil.

He agrees that this is inconsistent. But preventing hordes of single men from violence, he believes, is necessary for the stability of society. Enforced monogamy helps neutralize that.

In situations where there is too much mate choice, “a small percentage of the guys have hyper-access to women, and so they don’t form relationships with women,” he said. “And the women hate that.”
Ah for the good old days of Kinder, Küche, Kirche, eh? Eh?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 19, 2018 3:12 pm

My God, what a fucking crackpot. Can't wait to hear 42 try and explain that one away. My bet is he will ignore your post.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat May 19, 2018 3:20 pm

I love that Peterson, a Trump supporter, uses 'dragon' as a synonym for 'predator'.
You don't have to agree with trump but the mob can't make me not love him,” [Kayne] West tweeted. “We are both dragon energy. He is my brother. I love everyone.
This makes sense now.

Joking/not-joking aside; Peterson just outed himself as a supporter of Incel doctrine.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:11 am
I didn't even know about him and his business, and I live 20 km away...
That's because you take your coffee black - as god intended. :coffeebath:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 19, 2018 3:43 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:12 pm
My God, what a fucking crackpot. Can't wait to hear 42 try and explain that one away. My bet is he will ignore your post.
It's the usual fare. Peterson invoking a myth, just-so story, or strawman, and then slyly shifting from saying that this is like how things are to this is actually how things are. He does it over and over again. Once you spot it it all becomes rather boring, but as long as people keep paying him to do it he'll keep on doing it.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 pm

holy shit :lol:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Secular shit! :D

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat May 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Looks like I'm in the wrong racket. I should be spewing toxic bullshit on Youtube to gullible assholes.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat May 19, 2018 11:21 pm

I read it. :? That cat is nuttier than a fruitcake. He might even be fruitier than a nutcake.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm
Apparently people could find meaning and purpose in life if only society 'enforced monogamy.' Who knew? Fair warning, the link below is to The New York Times, which limits free articles per month. If you don't want to waste one on reading about Jordan Po-Faced Peterson, don't bother clicking.

Mr. Peterson illustrates his arguments with copious references to ancient myths — bringing up stories of witches, biblical allegories and ancient traditions. I ask why these old stories should guide us today.

It’s a hard one.

“Right. That’s right. You don’t know. It’s because those things hang together at a very deep level. Right. Yeah. And it makes sense that an old king lives in a desiccated tower.”

“Yeah, they do. They do exist. They just don’t exist the way you think they exist. They certainly exist. You may say well dragons don’t exist. It’s, like, yes they do — the category predator and the category dragon are the same category. It absolutely exists. It’s a superordinate category. It exists absolutely more than anything else. In fact, it really exists. What exists is not obvious. You say, ‘Well, there’s no such thing as witches.’ Yeah, I know what you mean, but that isn’t what you think when you go see a movie about them. You can’t help but fall into these categories. There’s no escape from them.”

Recently, a young man named Alek Minassian drove through Toronto trying to kill people with his van. Ten were killed, and he has been charged with first-degree murder for their deaths, and with attempted murder for 16 people who were injured. Mr. Minassian declared himself to be part of a misogynist group whose members call themselves incels. The term is short for “involuntary celibates,” though the group has evolved into a male supremacist movement made up of people — some celibate, some not — who believe that women should be treated as sexual objects with few rights. Some believe in forced “sexual redistribution,” in which a governing body would intervene in women’s lives to force them into sexual relationships.

Violent attacks are what happens when men do not have partners, Mr. Peterson says, and society needs to work to make sure those men are married.

“He was angry at God because women were rejecting him,” Mr. Peterson says of the Toronto killer. “The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”

Mr. Peterson does not pause when he says this. Enforced monogamy is, to him, simply a rational solution. Otherwise women will all only go for the most high-status men, he explains, and that couldn’t make either gender happy in the end.

“Half the men fail,” he says, meaning that they don’t procreate. “And no one cares about the men who fail.”

“You’re laughing about them,” he says, giving me a disappointed look. “That’s because you’re female.”

But aside from interventions that would redistribute sex, Mr. Peterson is staunchly against what he calls “equality of outcomes,” or efforts to equalize society. He usually calls them pathological or evil.

He agrees that this is inconsistent. But preventing hordes of single men from violence, he believes, is necessary for the stability of society. Enforced monogamy helps neutralize that.

In situations where there is too much mate choice, “a small percentage of the guys have hyper-access to women, and so they don’t form relationships with women,” he said. “And the women hate that.”
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 21, 2018 1:29 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm

It’s a hard one.

*crickets*
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Animavore wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 am
Seems quite appropriate, since identiy politicking racists are assholes, to put it mildly.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Why is it that one would require a response from me, pErvin, on a post not directed to me? I don't see every post posted on this forum, and no notification comes to me if it's not a reply to my post.

I'm happy to address the New York Times piece on Jordan Peterson, but one thing I do before I address something like that is read the thing. It's a long article. Almost 3500 words (about 7 pages single spaced type), and the author makes a host of really interesting characterizations of his words, apparently, and I have not read through the whole thing.

Unlike you, pErvin, I read these things carefully before I knee-jerk take a position on it.

Also, note, I have no investment in Jordan Peterson, and I'm sure he says a lot of things I don't agree with. He has a view of a deity, for example, and I don't, as I'm an atheist. That's a big difference of point-of-view. His comments on his belief/religion, however, are not as objectionable, in my view, as many, because his is not a literalist approach, and the god he believes in is not the traditional one. Not all religious beliefs are equally bad, but I nevertheless disagree with his view.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm
Also, note, I have no investment in Jordan Peterson
:funny: