"Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re:

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue May 08, 2018 10:55 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:46 pm
He's an odd cove isn't he?
Ah, he's alright, for a self-righteous prig.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: "Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Animavore » Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am

Jordan Peterson is Deepak Chopra for the right.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am

Won't somebody please think of the white nationalists?!

'Richard Spencer Went From Alt-Right Hero to Beggar'
Richard Spencer was supposed to lead the alt-right to legal victory over the nation’s liberal universities. Now he’s giving up on his war on colleges, and begging for help in a serious lawsuit against him.

Spencer, a white nationalist, became a figurehead of the alt-right during the movement’s rise to prominence in the 2016 election, after which Spencer reworked a Nazi chant to praise Donald Trump during a speech condemning Jews. A series of media profiles described Spencer as a well-dressed leader who could legitimize the alt-right.

That was then.

In March, his longtime lawyer publicly quit the alt-right. Last week, one of Spencer’s assistants quietly filed an order dismissing Spencer’s last lawsuit against a college. Days later, Spencer was on YouTube asking supporters for $25,000 to support him through a lawsuit against him and other actors in the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last August.

“Hi everyone, this is Richard Spencer. I am under attack and I need your help. Some of the biggest and baddest law firms in the United States are suing me,” Spencer said in the Friday video. “They’re going after everyone involved in the Unite the Right rally that took place in Charlottesville on August 12, 2017.”

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am

Ouch! That's an awful punch in the face.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am

Animavore wrote:Jordan Peterson is Deepak Chopra for the right.

I find he makes a lot of sense right up to the point where he doesn't, and he tends to not make sense rather quickly even though his rhetoric sounds cogent. There's a couple of Sam Harris podcasts with him which offer plenty of examples of him using misrepresentation and metaphor to maintain his arguments.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am

[quote="NuclMan";p="2622845"]Dishes it but can't take it.
Why is Jordan Peterson so angry? For someone whose whole routine is based on telling men to “toughen up”, the clinical psychologist and author of the bestseller 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, who rose to prominence in the UK after his run-in with Cathy Newman on Channel 4, seems to unravel at the slightest provocation. After a brutal but perfectly polite and clinical takedown in the New York Review of Books by Pankaj Mishra, where the rudest thing said about Peterson is that his latest book is packaged for people who have grown up on BuzzFeed listicles, Peterson had a meltdown. He called Mishra a “sanctimonious prick”, an “arrogant racist son of a bitch”, said he would “slap him” if he was in the room, and rounded it up with a final “fuck you”. Somewhere along the tantrum, he tweeted that Mishra was a “dealer in lies and half-truths”. The responses that followed can only be summarised as a mass sideways look to camera.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... an-twitter
[/quote]
:lol:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 am

Yeah, he seems unhinged to me. I've seen him in interviews and on panels and when he gets going there's a scary level of fervour there.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm

He talks some bollox. "Man is order. Woman is chaos." Etc.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu May 10, 2018 5:34 am

Animavore wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am
Jordan Peterson is Deepak Chopra for the right.
Indeed. Peterson's "the soul of the individual eternally hungers for the heroism of genuine Being" is just about as Chopraesque as Chopra's own word salad like "Attention and intention are the mechanics of manifestation".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Thu May 10, 2018 6:33 am

Animavore wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm
He talks some bollox. "Man is order. Woman is chaos." Etc.
Ah, but it's the way that he says it that's so... [pause, look up to the left]... endearing.
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re:

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:11 am
Animavore wrote:Jordan Peterson is Deepak Chopra for the right.

I find he makes a lot of sense right up to the point where he doesn't, and he tends to not make sense rather quickly even though his rhetoric sounds cogent. There's a couple of Sam Harris podcasts with him which offer plenty of examples of him using misrepresentation and metaphor to maintain his arguments.
Care to discuss specific examples?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Not really. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Animavore wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am
[quote="NuclMan";p="2622845"]Dishes it but can't take it.
Why is Jordan Peterson so angry? For someone whose whole routine is based on telling men to “toughen up”, the clinical psychologist and author of the bestseller 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, who rose to prominence in the UK after his run-in with Cathy Newman on Channel 4, seems to unravel at the slightest provocation. After a brutal but perfectly polite and clinical takedown in the New York Review of Books by Pankaj Mishra, where the rudest thing said about Peterson is that his latest book is packaged for people who have grown up on BuzzFeed listicles, Peterson had a meltdown. He called Mishra a “sanctimonious prick”, an “arrogant racist son of a bitch”, said he would “slap him” if he was in the room, and rounded it up with a final “fuck you”. Somewhere along the tantrum, he tweeted that Mishra was a “dealer in lies and half-truths”. The responses that followed can only be summarised as a mass sideways look to camera.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... an-twitter
:lol:
[/quote]

The polite but clinical "takedown" of Jordan Peterson? LOL The one entitled "Jordan Peters & Fascist Mysticism?" That polite one?

The one that criticizes his advice for men to toughen up -- "Men demand it, and women want it.” So, the first rule is, “Stand up straight with your shoulders back” and don’t forget to “clean your room.” Oh, the huge manatee! He, a clinical psychologist, is suggesting there is something positive about standing up straight with shoulders back (body language of confidence)? And, the "clean your room" metaphor is discussed in detail by Peterson, and refers to taking care of yourself and what you have within your own reach first. Before I ever heard of Peterson, those two suggestions were common words of advice for people from many sources.

He insults Peterson - says it's "only" Peterson's second book in 20 years, and "packaged for people raised on Buzzfeed listicles..." -- notice, Mishra doesn't criticize Buzzfeed listicles ...just Peterson for packaging his book to attract that market (in his opinion). And, he says the 12 Rules for Life book propelled Peterson to stardom, but Peterson was quite popular before that book came out. It was his popularity that propelled the book, not the book that made him popular.

This polite and clinical takedown just handwaves away Peterson's argument by saying other academics don't share his views, and then saying that Peterson belongs to a "right wing sect" that criticizes Mao, Stalin and Hitler, but does not criticize "profit", slavery, genocide and imperialism (although Peterson does criticize slavery, genocide and imperialism for sure).

When you listen to Peterson, you soon learn that at the core of what he's talking about is how people can find meaning and purpose in life. And his focus is that meaning and purpose are most often found in having responsibility for others, primarily a family, and having something concrete to do in life. So when he asks men to toughen up and clean your room, he's telling them to focus on how to get something to be responsible for, and to be responsible for the things you have within your control.

But Mishra in his "takedown" calls Peterson a "hypermasculinist" a "demagogue" -- extreme "right wing" (sect, lol), supporting patriarchal systems, appealling to white nationalists and other demagogues and the worst impulses of the "Far Right," and refers to his stuff as "fascist" mysticism...

And you wonder why Peterson would tell the guy to fuck off?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re:

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:58 pm
Not really. :tea:
:lol: I hear ya, sister!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.