"Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: "Alt-right" Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu May 24, 2018 3:22 pm

They're mad at everything, aren't they?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 24, 2018 3:43 pm

I don't think their attitude is so black and white.

Oh, hang on....
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri May 25, 2018 5:12 pm

A psychology professor who championed Jordan Peterson 20 years ago is less sanguine about him these days.

'I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous'
I have no way of knowing whether Jordan is aware that he is playing out of the same authoritarian demagogue handbook that he himself has described. If he is unaware, then his ironic failure, unwillingness, or inability to see in himself what he attributes to them is very disconcerting.

Jordan, our “free speech warrior,” decided to launch a website that listed “postmodern neo-Marxist” professors and “corrupt” academic disciplines, warning students and their parents to avoid them. Those disciplines, postmodern or not, included women’s, ethnic and racial studies. Those “left-wing” professors were trying to “indoctrinate their students into a cult” and, worse, create “anarchical social revolutionaries.” I do think Jordan believes what he says, but it’s not clear from the language he uses whether he is being manipulative and trying to induce fear, or whether he is walking a fine line between concern and paranoia.

His strategy is eerily familiar. In the 1950s a vicious attack on freedom of speech and thought occurred in the United States at the hands of Sen. Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee. People suspected of having left-wing, “Communist” leanings were blacklisted and silenced. It was a frightening period of lost jobs, broken lives and betrayal. Ironically, around this time the Stasi were doing the same to people in East Berlin who were disloyal to that very same “murderous” ideology.

Jordan has a complex relationship to freedom of speech. He wants to effectively silence those left-wing professors by keeping students away from their courses because the students may one day become “anarchical social revolutionaries” who may bring upon us disruption and violence. At the same time he was advocating cutting funds to universities that did not protect free speech on their campuses. He defended the rights of “alt right” voices to speak at universities even though their presence has given rise to disruption and violence. For Jordan, it appears, not all speech is equal, and not all disruption and violence are equal, either.

If Jordan is not a true free speech warrior, then what is he? The email sent through his wife’s account described Bill 28, the parenting bill, as part of the “transgender agenda” and claimed it was “misleadingly” called “All Families are Equal.” Misleading? What same-sex families and transgender people have in common is their upset of the social order. In Maps of Meaning, Jordan’s first book, he is exercised by the breakdown of the social order and the chaos that he believes would result. Jordan is fighting to maintain the status quo to keep chaos at bay, or so he believes. He is not a free speech warrior. He is a social order warrior.

He may be driven by a great and genuine fear of our impending doom, and a passionate conviction that he can save us from it. He may believe that his ends justify his questionable means, and he may not be aware that he mimics those figures from whom he wants to protect us. But his conviction makes him no less problematic. On the contrary.

“What they do have in common is … that they have the answers and that their instincts are good, that they are smarter than everybody else and can do things by themselves.” This was Madeleine Albright, the former secretary of state in an recent interview with the New York Times referring to the authoritarian leaders discussed in her new book, Fascism: A Warning. It sounds familiar.

Currently, Jordan is the darling of the alt-right. He says he is not one of them, but has accepted their affection with relish. Andrew Scheer, the leader of the federal Conservative party, has declined any further appearances on The Rebel, but Jordan continues to appear.

Jordan is not part of the alt-right. He fits no mould. But he should be concerned about what the “dark desires” of the alt-right might be. He could be, perhaps unwittingly, activating “the dark desires” of that mob.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri May 25, 2018 9:01 pm

From a Peterson Reddit AMA:

Historical ignorance is a recurring theme in Peterson's preaching.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 pm

:fp2:

Christ almighty. This is the guy Coito, the alt-right, and manosphere jackasses have been fawning over?! The "most important intellectual of our time"?!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 pm

He did claim we are similar to lobsters, so I think he knows his shit.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 am

That bloke couldn't get laid even if he climbed up a chicken's arse...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun May 27, 2018 11:00 am

Yeah, what a fucking knob. Why doesn't he just have sex with the so-called "ordered" high IQ female? I assume people like him don't think such a creature exists..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 27, 2018 11:19 am

Because woman is chaotic pErv, and the blame and responsibility always has to lay with others.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:44 am

So, after tweeting a racist slur (describing Valerie Jarrett, a former aide of Obama as the baby of "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes"), Roseanne Barr blamed making that comment on Ambien, the sleeping pill she had taken. Sanofi, the manufacturer of Ambien replied: "...racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication."

So Barr thought she was making sense when she clarified that she was not blaming the sleeping pills. No, not blaming them at all. She just wanted to "explain" how her comment came about. :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:22 pm

One man has been charged with possession of an offensive weapon and eight others bailed for a range of offences at a mass protest march in support of the jailed anti-Islam figurehead Tommy Robinson.

Five police officers were injured during clashes between protesters and police at the demonstration in central London on Saturday, which observers said drew thousands of people. Protesters hurled bottles, metal barriers and other objects at police, Scotland Yard said.

One 46-year-old man was charged on suspicion of carrying a knuckleduster; a 50-year-old man was released under investigation for explosives offences after being found with a flare; six were arrested and bailed for public order offences; and one was arrested for possession of cannabis and breach of the peace.

The demonstration came about a fortnight after Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was jailed for contempt of court for filming a video outside a trial in Leeds. His conviction came weeks after he drew thousands for a “day for freedom” rally at Downing Street, where he called for freedom of speech to criticise Islam.

Robinson’s supporters came from around the UK for Saturday’s march. They included a football supporters’ group mobilised under the banner of the Football Lads Alliance, protesters inspired by the online “alt-right” movement, elements of smaller hard-right groups, as well as what remains of Ukip – which, since Brexit, has sought to reposition itself and regain relevance – and the newer, more extreme, For Britain Movement...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... _clipboard

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:53 am

And why wouldn't he?

'Trump Endorses the Alt-Right’s Favorite Candidate'
Two years ago, Corey Stewart was too extreme for the Trump campaign. This morning, he got Trump’s endorsement to run for Senate.

“Congratulations to Corey Stewart for his great victory for Senator from Virginia,” Trump tweeted Wednesday. “Now he runs against a total stiff, Tim Kaine, who is weak on crime and borders, and wants to raise your taxes through the roof. Don’t underestimate Corey, a major chance of winning!”

Kaine’s spokesperson called Stewart a “cruder imitation of Donald Trump who stokes white supremacy and brags about being ‘ruthless and vicious.’”

Stewart campaigned on the preservation of Confederate monuments in the state after a push across the country to tear down the monuments. Stewart defended the Confederate flag as “not about racism” during a speech at an “Old South Ball” in April 2017, surrounded by Confederate flags and people dressed in Antebellum South cosplay.

Stewart also touted the entirely baseless claim that President Obama wasn’t born in America.

... Stewart has made multiple press appearances with Jason Kessler, one of the lead organizers of Unite the Right, a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last August. The pair attended a proto-Unite the Right rally together in February 2017, when they rallied against the removal of the Lee statue in Charlottesville .

Stewart also spoke alongside Kessler at a February 2017 event for the group “Unity & Security for America,” a group Kessler founded for “defending Western Civilization including its history, culture and peoples while utterly dismantling Cultural Marxism.” Cultural Marxism is a favorite conspiracy on the far-right, which holds that liberals (Jews) are trying to destroy Western (white) society through popular culture.

After Unite the Right, where a white supremacist allegedly killed an anti-racist protester with his car, Stewart condemned his fellow Republicans for condemning Nazis.

“All the weak Republicans, they couldn’t apologize fast enough,” Stewart told The Washington Post after the murder at the Kessler-organized rally. “They played right into the hands of the left wing. Those [Nazi] people have nothing to do with the Republican Party. There was no reason to apologize.”He blamed “half the violence” on counter-protesters.

Stewart also has ties to Paul Nehlen, a Republican running for Rep. Paul Ryan’s House seat on an anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim platform. A former Breitbart contributor, Nehlen lost the alt-right outlet’s backing after he was revealed to have made anti-semitic comments on former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke’s podcast. Nehlen was banned from Twitter after a racist tweet about Meghan Markle. On Gab, a social-media platform beloved by the alt-right, Nehlen posted photoshops of Jews’ heads on pikes, before getting banned for revealing the name of a formerly anonymous alt-right character.

Despite Nehlen’s feuds with other members of the far-right, he found a welcome with Stewart, who paid him a $759 "fundraising commission" in May 2017, CNN first reported. Earlier that year, Stewart was also filmed praising Nehlen as one of his “personal heroes” and citing Nehlen’s campaigns as an inspiration.

Stewart disavowed Nehlen in a statement to the Washington Post last week, saying he distanced himself from Nehlen “when he started saying all that crazy stuff.”

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:58 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:00 am
Yeah, what a fucking knob. Why doesn't he just have sex with the so-called "ordered" high IQ female? I assume people like him don't think such a creature exists..

I imagine he has lots of sex actually...with his hand.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:39 pm

But that's still sex with someone you love, to paraphrase Shakespeare.

Frank Zappa