A Thought Experiment...

Alan B

A Thought Experiment...

Post by Alan B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 am

Assume that the elected politicians (this would include elected local council members), who run our countries, upon assuming office have to sign a pledge - contravention of which would be a criminal offence - not to receive any income from any source other than the designated salaried income for that office. This would mean severing and rejection of all business links, all financial inducements disguised as lobbying and access to family finance and influence. Any monies in tax havens to be declared and withdrawn to allow the appropriate tax to be levied with the monies to be secured in an inaccessible trust for the duration of the politician's office.
Assume also that political parties are similarly proscribed with their sole income provided for by the state, their elected politicians and registered members paying a fixed membership fee. Donations by vested interests to be forbidden.

Question.
Assuming that the above situation actually exists (and has existed for some time), what laws and regulations would be passed or rejected and what differences would be apparent relative to today's political situation?

Any answers would obviously be country specific.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: A Thought Experiment...

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:06 am

Assume what? :funny:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am

Such laws would obviously be illegal with regard to the constitutions in most Western nations.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am

I know, I know. It's laughable. But what the hell, have a go.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:11 am

doesn't work here, most of our town councillors work only part time and are unpaid BESIDE their main job's revenue, plus, let's face it, town council, even mayor salary is miserable here, It might work for MPs (both chambers) but I guess that the first law repealed would be the one restricting politicos to their political wages, even if stringent laws agaisnt conflict of interest do get passed and are actually enforced, on which I won't hold my breath.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:12 am

NineBerry wrote:Such laws would obviously be illegal with regard to the constitutions in most Western nations.
Yep. But it is a 'Thought Experiment...'

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:13 am

NineBerry wrote:Such laws would obviously be illegal with regard to the constitutions in most Western nations.
Laws restricting politicos to their appointment salaries... unpractical and irrealistic, I can see, but unconstitutional, how so?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 am

Svartalf wrote:doesn't work here, most of our town councillors work only part time and are unpaid BESIDE their main job's revenue, plus, let's face it, town council, even mayor salary is miserable here, It might work for MPs (both chambers) but I guess that the first law repealed would be the one restricting politicos to their political wages, even if stringent laws agaisnt conflict of interest do get passed and are actually enforced, on which I won't hold my breath.
I don't expect any of the assumptions would be ever implemented, but as I said to NB, it is a 'Thought Experiment...'

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:11 am

Just think of all the real-world economic experience, skill and insight you'd lose by excluding the representation of business interests in our sacred democratic processes. I mean, George Osborne might have only had a 2,2 in History but the experience he gained from working in finance and running his families wallpaper business surely equipped him with all the attributes required of a modern Chancellor?

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Alan B wrote:...it is a 'Thought Experiment...'
No, it's not. It's a brain fart. Don't feel bad, though. Everybody has one from time to time. The only problem is that some people are incapable of realising that they had popped one out when they did.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:36 am

More control over slush funds to political parties is a good idea, but one that is not likely to succeed...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:01 am

The first step in this thought experiment has to be to gather up all the existing politicians and encase them in concrete and throw them out to sea. Without that, this isn't a realistic thought experiment.. :coffee:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:57 am

Hermit wrote:
No, it's not. It's a brain fart. Don't feel bad, though. Everybody has one from time to time. The only problem is that some people are incapable of realising that they had popped one out when they did.
Today's 'Brain Fart' can be tomorrow's 'Profound Thought'. :prof: :whistle:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:11 am

Alan B wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Today's 'Brain Fart' can be tomorrow's 'Profound Thought'. :prof:

Very true. Galileo's theory went complete against what common sense, based on empirical observation, dictated at the time. Alfred Wegener's (who was a meteorologist) theory of plate tectonics was poopooed for decades by geologists.

I remain mindful of the word "can", though. ;)

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 am

It's a hypothetical proposition and it is not suggested that it should be considered for actual implementation, which some of you seem to think and lambaste it accordingly.

It's an attempt to 'theorise' what laws and regulations would be in place (or not) when there is no systemic financial inducement.

Let's start with the various state gun laws and the medical care system in America...

Come on, people, put yer 'thinking caps' on.