Republicans

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Republicans

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 am

Yep.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 am

Apparently the Republican House doesn't want to offend certain delicate sensibilities.

"Congress Mysteriously Stalls on a Resolution to Honor the Victims of Portland’s MAX Stabbings"
For more than a month, Republican leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives has declined to consider a congressional resolution to honor the victims of a double slaying on a Portland MAX train.

One week after the May 26 MAX killings—allegedly committed by a Portland white supremacist who marched with right-wing protesters—Oregon's Democratic U.S. senators, Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley, drafted the resolution. It honors "acts of heroism and sacrifice for the safety and sake of others in the face of acts of domestic terrorism."

The resolution passed the Senate on June 8 by unanimous consent. But the House leadership has declined to bring it to the floor for a vote, or answer questions from Oregon's delegation asking why.

U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), who sponsored the resolution in the House, is furious.

"It's outrageous that the Republican leadership in the House won't take two minutes to honor these heroes," Blumenauer tells WW.

The resolution is a purely symbolic gesture, as routine as a politician offering "thoughts and prayers" to the victims of any tragedy. That makes it all the more puzzling why Congress wouldn't rubber-stamp it—especially when it has been quick to memorialize the victims of other hate crimes and terrorist attacks, both in and outside the U.S.

Congressional gridlock on other, more substantive issues like health care is no explanation, either. Each week, the House gets an opportunity to vote on the resolution while approving its suspension calendar—a time when the House frequently approves so-called easy votes, like naming new post offices and passing resolutions.

But the Portland MAX stabbings were immediately polarizing—and a touchy subject for nationalist groups that have gained traction with the election of President Donald Trump. It's unclear whether calling the stabbings "terrorism" is politically unpalatable for some Republicans.

The accused killer, Jeremy Christian, is a Portland white supremacist who had latched onto an extremist movement known as the "alt-right"—and could be heard on public transit spouting the movement's complaints about antifascist protesters and the liberal suppression of free speech.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 am

Look for the financial link between the 'alt-right' (and other white supremacist groups) and the Republicans...

Offending 'sensibilities' is irrelevant in this case.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I am wholeheartedly in favor of education, while at the same time being completely unconcerned about offering students courses in things I don't like as well.
Students are, of course, free to take whatever courses they like. That doesn't mean that whatever courses they like are conducive to being a well-rounded and well-educated person. The quality of our higher education system is something that is of some concern to me, particularly as we get more and more of a push toward having it paid for out of the general treasury.

It's not so much "things I don't like" -- some courses I liked, others I didn't like, and many of the ones I did not like taking were quite enlightening and quite relevant to a good, well-rounded education. So, it's not so much "like" as the key factor, but "value." I recognize that there is plenty of room to debate what courses are valuable to a person in obtaining a good, solid, quality college education.

If someone wants to adopt the position that "Social Construction of Gender - 108" and "Feminist Bioethics" and "Reading Elvis Presley" and "Woman and Popular Culture" (and the other courses offered in the Gender Studies major at Wellesley College) are as conducive and relevant to a quality, solid, valuable college-level education as, say the course requirements for a college major that involves core courses in the sciences, mathematics, philosophy, literature, arts, etc. To me, the Gender Studies isn't merely not likable, it's just not valuable or helpful to becoming particularly well-educated, and the people attending and graduating with these majors do seem, to me, to bear that out.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm

(Elsewhere)
Mike says:
As Trump keeps getting nuttier in his handling of the Republican Senate and singling out specific Senators to attack and even run against, it is possible that he will drive a few of the moderate Republicans into becoming Independents. It would take some doing but Trump is just vindictive enough to make it happen.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:24 am

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:I am wholeheartedly in favor of education, while at the same time being completely unconcerned about offering students courses in things I don't like as well.
Students are, of course, free to take whatever courses they like. That doesn't mean that whatever courses they like are conducive to being a well-rounded and well-educated person. The quality of our higher education system is something that is of some concern to me, particularly as we get more and more of a push toward having it paid for out of the general treasury.

It's not so much "things I don't like" -- some courses I liked, others I didn't like, and many of the ones I did not like taking were quite enlightening and quite relevant to a good, well-rounded education. So, it's not so much "like" as the key factor, but "value." I recognize that there is plenty of room to debate what courses are valuable to a person in obtaining a good, solid, quality college education.

If someone wants to adopt the position that "Social Construction of Gender - 108" and "Feminist Bioethics" and "Reading Elvis Presley" and "Woman and Popular Culture" (and the other courses offered in the Gender Studies major at Wellesley College) are as conducive and relevant to a quality, solid, valuable college-level education as, say the course requirements for a college major that involves core courses in the sciences, mathematics, philosophy, literature, arts, etc. To me, the Gender Studies isn't merely not likeable, it's just not valuable or helpful to becoming particularly well-educated, and the people attending and graduating with these majors do seem, to me, to bear that out.
You don't accept that subjects like gender studies can be 'valuable or helpful to becoming well-educated', even to those who are interested by the subject and/or find it relevant to their lives. OK. How do you feel about sociology in general?

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 am

Forty Two wrote: If someone wants to adopt the position that "Social Construction of Gender - 108" and "Feminist Bioethics" and "Reading Elvis Presley" and "Woman and Popular Culture" (and the other courses offered in the Gender Studies major at Wellesley College) are as conducive and relevant to a quality, solid, valuable college-level education as, say the course requirements for a college major that involves core courses in the sciences, mathematics, philosophy, literature, arts, etc.
Why does it have to be as valuable as other courses? That it might not (subjectively) be as valuable as a STEM course doesn't mean it has no (or not enough) value. This is just another example of the busted logic that you keep rhetorically employing.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 am

They just can't stand it when Trump iscthe subject. Pizzagates, Hillary foundations and all were fair game
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/conse ... le/2629150

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:21 am

The disorder known as sociopathy or Republicanism might be due to brain tumours ....
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:28 am

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote: If someone wants to adopt the position that "Social Construction of Gender - 108" and "Feminist Bioethics" and "Reading Elvis Presley" and "Woman and Popular Culture" (and the other courses offered in the Gender Studies major at Wellesley College) are as conducive and relevant to a quality, solid, valuable college-level education as, say the course requirements for a college major that involves core courses in the sciences, mathematics, philosophy, literature, arts, etc.
Why does it have to be as valuable as other courses? That it might not (subjectively) be as valuable as a STEM course doesn't mean it has no (or not enough) value. This is just another example of the busted logic that you keep rhetorically employing.
MBA is still a degree isn't it ? That's a course in lying, stealing and avoiding taxes ..hardly an academic pursuit.
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 am

Yeah, I was going to mention MBAs, but didn't want to offend those who worship at the alter of business and capitalism.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 am

pErvin wrote:Yeah, I was going to mention MBAs, but didn't want to offend those who worship at the alter of business and capitalism.
Praying to Mammon?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am

As I said, look for the financial links. Anything else is pompous puff to distract.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:22 am

Foreboding assertions of financial links, check. Is there any actual substance to support them? Are you talking about the Mercers, or do you have something else in mind, Alan B?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 am

There's so much smoke it's hard to believe that there's no fire there somewhere.

I was reflecting the other day on 42's low bar for "knowing" that Elizabeth Warren isn't an Amerindian, but despite all the suggestive evidence pointing to collusion he just knows that the Trump campaign didn't break any laws.