Republicans

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Republicans

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:Perhaps the best option, though anathema to the hairy-chested self image of the US, is to withdraw, to become isolationist...
The USA cannot possibly become isolationist. It has way too many fingers in way too many foreign pies.
It is probably unlikely, but that does not mean impossible. It would, of course, still have major economic and diplomatic influence,; I was mainly meaning a partial military withdrawal from regions where it is trying to juggle too many balls. Quite a significant portion of both the American right and left would agree with me, I suspect, although from rather different motives...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 am

JimC wrote:I would never advocate a pre-emptive nuclear strike, and hopefully even Trump would not consider one.
Im not confident in that hope..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 am

Tero wrote:A conventional war between N and S Korea could easily be triggered. Trump ordered bombings during dessert in Florida. Bombing N Korea missile facility would start a war.
For all we know kim could order Seoul levelled over a tiff with his hairdresser
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 am

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:Perhaps the best option, though anathema to the hairy-chested self image of the US, is to withdraw, to become isolationist...
The USA cannot possibly become isolationist. It has way too many fingers in way too many foreign pies.
Hold Frump's beer and watch him do it

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:
It is probably unlikely, but that does not mean impossible.
It's categorically impossible as long as the US companies rely on overseas markets - that is both buying and selling - to the extent they do at the moment. The US military budget is greater than those of the next eight nations combined precisely because the economic stakes of US based companies in foreign lands require such backup whenever negotiations alone don't reach a desired outcome to their bottom lines.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:38 am

Svartalf wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Hold Frump's beer and watch him do it
People have been holding his beer for quite some time now to enable him to build that wall, tear down the ACA, and so forth. At any rate, the moment Trump ever gets anywhere near becoming a liability to the profitability of the big US companies you'll see his impeachment faster than you can say "Pence".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:47 am

Well, my bet is that he'll be a one term president, even if he doesn't get impeached... or his voters are even more moronic than I expect, because, as of now, he's been one of the least effective presidents ever for one who claimed he was going to do so much...

and he's going to do some bad stuff on foreign trade, trying to skew free trade in favor of American businesses without taking into account that if he goes tit, there will be a tat from abroad.
Last edited by Svartalf on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 am

Nothing surprises me anymore in America. The fact the cunt is still there is amazing. If he gets re-elected would be less amazing. Democracy does not and has never has existed in the country. Corruption is the game.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 am

sure, but when you fail to grease the voters' palms the way you promised, you can't expect them to vote for you again, even the little people need to be mollified.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:24 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
what is that case, by the way?
NK has proven incapable of following the terms laid out by the international community which were developed to secure the safety of its people and the stability of the region...

...we gave'em this, and that, and by golly, they still haven't got their shit together... amiright?
I don't know about you but I don't see that as a case for starting a war which would likely result in hundreds of thousands dying.
Nobody's going to ask us.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Hermit wrote:
JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:
It is probably unlikely, but that does not mean impossible.
It's categorically impossible as long as the US companies rely on overseas markets - that is both buying and selling - to the extent they do at the moment. The US military budget is greater than those of the next eight nations combined precisely because the economic stakes of US based companies in foreign lands require such backup whenever negotiations alone don't reach a desired outcome to their bottom lines.
It's also impossible while international oil transactions are done in US dollars. Now, if they were done in UK pounds we really could 'Make Great Britain Great Again'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Greater Britain!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Dont worry the Euro will take over. It is impossible to find an unbiased report though. For some American economists the Euro is still in crisis.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:43 pm

or the YUan... China virtually owns Europe...

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Whatever but I do see the Dollar being moved from its perch.