Republicans

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Republicans

Post by Tero » Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Republicans losing grip on Arizona:
In 2016, Hillary Clinton lost Arizona to Trump by 3.5%, the closest margin of Democratic defeat since her husband, Bill Clinton, won here in 1996. And Maricopa County ousted Joe Arpaio, self-styled as “America’s toughest sheriff”, after 24 years. This year, Republicans were rattled by a narrow special election victory in a deeply conservative suburban Phoenix district that Trump took by 21 points.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... cans-trump
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:30 am

More corruption will take place.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu May 31, 2018 9:03 pm

The making of the Guns Babies and Jesus supreme court lineup
The story comes to us today via George F. Will, who has given up his Republican Party identity out of dismay at the crassness of Donald Trump, but who remains mostly loyal to the party’s congressional wing. In his Washington Post column today, Will lavishes praise upon Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who deftly outmaneuvered Democratic attempts to pack the federal courts. “To prevent Republicans from reciprocating with filibusters against Obama’s packing-by-enlargement of the nation’s second-most-important court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Democrats changed Senate rules to bar filibusters of judicial nominees other than those for the Supreme Court,” writes Will. “McConnell removed that pointless exemption to make possible the confirmation of Neil M. Gorsuch.”

So the history, as described by Will today, is:
1. Obama enlarged the D.C. Circuit Court, to create more seats he could fill with his nominees
2. Republicans retaliated by filibustering his judicial nominees
3. Senate Democrats changed the rules to eliminate the filibuster of Court nominees, except for the Supreme Court
4. McConnell eliminated the exception for filibustering the Supreme Court
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... trump.html

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:41 am

Onion:
1964:
Democratic and Republican parties decide to switch platforms out of boredom.
1972:
Richard Nixon becomes the only Republican president to face consequences for his actions.
https://politics.theonion.com/timeline- ... pLn5qbkCte

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Bannon changes his tune:

'Stephen Bannon is now pro-establishment'
Now that President Trump has taken charge of the Washington swamp, Stephen Bannon wants GOP hopefuls to stop trying to drain it.

Candidates running on the Republican ticket keep trying to follow in Trump's footsteps and campaign on an anti-establishment platform, reports The New York Times, but the president's former chief strategist thinks that's a losing strategy now that Trump is the establishment.

"People are starting to realize that the anti-establishment thing is kind of a luxury we can't afford right now," Bannon told the Times.

It's a far cry from Bannon's previously held views.
I'd say the headline above isn't precisely accurate in that Bannon isn't so much 'pro-establishment' as pro-Trump, and believes that his previous banging of the 'anti-establishment' drum should be dropped since it isn't helping Trump at the moment.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 pm

I wonder whose version is accurate? It's hard for me to say, given that both Cruz and Trump are known brazen liars.

'Ted Cruz says he suggested a pardon for Dinesh D'Souza while traveling with Donald Trump in Texas'
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, on Friday detailed his role in urging President Donald Trump to pardon conservative writer and filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza, saying he raised the issue with Trump while they traveled together last month in Texas.

Trump announced Thursday that he was pardoning D'Souza, who pleaded guilty in 2014 to campaign finance fraud, tweeting D'Souza was "treated very unfairly by our government!" D'Souza told media outlets afterward that Cruz told him about a month ago that he would bring up a potential pardon with the president.

Speaking with reporters after a campaign event Friday, Cruz said he made good on the promise while Trump was in Dallas on May 4 to speak at the National Rifle Association's annual meeting. Cruz met Trump at the airport and the two rode together to the conference in the presidential motorcade.

Trump had recently granted a pardon for Scooter Libby, the ex-chief of staff to former Vice President Dick Cheney who was convicted of perjury in 2007.

"He had just pardoned Scooter Libby, who I think Scooter likewise had faced an unfair prosecution," Cruz recalled. "I think that pardon was the right thing to do, and so in the car ride, I said, 'You know, Mr. President, another pardon very much along the same lines of Scooter Libby would be Dinesh D’Souza, who I think was unfairly politically targeted.' And the president agreed."

Cruz's account is at odds with what Trump and the White House have said about how the pardon came about. Trump said Thursday that "nobody asked me to do it," and a White House spokesman said later that day he was "not aware of any conversation" Trump had with Cruz on the matter. But anonymous White House officials did tell The Washington Post on Thursday that Cruz had lobbied for the pardon.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Rick Santorum is dumber than a sack of banana slugs.

Santorum: Obama exacerbated racism
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ted-racism
Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (R) said on Sunday that former President Obama “exacerbated racism” by taking the position against the police every time a person of color was involved in a high-profile incident during his presidency.

His comment came after Karine Jean-Pierre, a spokeswoman for the progressive advocacy group Move On, said on CNN's “State of the Union” that Obama’s election led to a Republican backlash upon which President Trump then capitalized to win the presidency.

“You elect the first black president and there was an uproar,” she said. “You saw the obstruction by Republicans time and time again."

"What Donald Trump did was he tapped into it. Let's not forget, he started his political career talking about birtherism," Jean-Pierre added, referring to the conspiracy theory that falsely claimed Obama was not born in the United States.

Santorum responded by saying that it was actually Obama who used the presidency to fan the flames of racism.

“Many people saw Barack Obama being just that, doing more to exacerbate racism,” Santorum said.

Asked exactly what Obama did to exacerbate racism, Santorum said that “every time someone of color was involved, he took the side, many times, against the police.”

"He did it over and over and over again,” Santorum added. “President Obama was to many people out there someone who could have come together, brought this country together.”
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:35 am

Yeah, republicans. Fine folks like judge Roy Moore. I thought they would be gone by now.

I arrived in the US about 2 years after segregation ended. We have not gotten far.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:41 am

Find me a used mattress from the Big Boss's hotel, stat!

'Pruitt had aide find him a mattress from Trump’s hotel'
An aide to scandal-scarred EPA chief Scott Pruitt told House investigators that she ran personal tasks for the big-spending cabinet member — including trying to snare him a used mattress from President Trump’s DC hotel.

Pruitt scheduler Millan Hupp’s revelation was included in testimony released by Democrats on the House oversight committee Monday.

It was unclear what the former Oklahoma pol — already under fire for frittering away taxpayers’ dollars on first-class travel, round-the-clock security and a sitcom-like, $43,000 “Cone of Silence” private phone booth for his office — had planned for the presumably soiled mattress.

But in a letter to GOP committee Chair Trey Gowdy, Democrats said Hupp carried out a multitude of personal errands for Pruitt.

They included helping him land a below market rate rented room in a lobbyist’s condo, booking him a Rose Bowl trip so he and his family could see the Oklahoma Sooners play, and the discussions about getting the “Trump Home Luxury Plush Euro Pillow Top” mattress.

Rep. Elijah Cummings, the committee’s ranking Democrat, called the errands a violation of federal law on gifts from subordinates.

“If Ms. Hupp’s statements to the Committee are accurate, Administrator Pruitt crossed a very clear line and must be held accountable,” he and Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) wrote.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:04 am

Buying a mattress isn't illegal. Where were you guys when Hillary and Obama bought matresses?!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:51 am

In DC used mattreses come with bed bugs installed.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm

I'm going to have to check with Fox News to find out what's really going on here, because all the FAKE NEWS outlets reporting this just can't be correct.

'Trump's Education Secretary Says School Safety Commission Won't Look at Role of Guns in School Shootings'
U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said the Federal Commission on School Safety —established in response to the deadly Parkland shooting — won’t look into the role of guns in school shootings.

The revelation came during a Senate subcommittee hearing on Tuesday about the Education Department’s budget.

“That is not part of the commission’s charge, per se,” DeVos said when asked by Democratic Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy whether the commission will “look at the role of firearms as it relates to gun violence in our schools.”

The commission was established by President Donald Trump in March “to address school safety and the culture of violence.”

“So you’re studying gun violence but not considering the role of guns?” Leahy asked DeVos again.

“We’re actually studying school safety and how we can ensure our students are safe at school,” DeVos said.

That appears to be a change since the commission was established and tasked with studying “age restrictions for certain firearm purchases,” among other issues.

DeVos, who serves as chair of the commission, also side-stepped a question about whether she thinks an 18-year-old high school student should be able to buy an AR-15 rifle, the type of weapon allegedly used during the Parkland shooting by a 19-year-old former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. ...

“I believe that’s very much a matter for debate, and I know that’s been debated within this body and will continue to be,” DeVos said. “Our focus is on raising up successful, proven techniques and approaches to ensuring schools are safe for students to attend.”

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 pm

It's a fucking big elephant in a fucking small room...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 pm
It's a fucking big elephant in a fucking small room...
Betsy DeVos is a devout right-wing ideologue, though. I don't think she lets such things as that particular 'elephant' impinge on her world view. She isn't just paying lip service to the party line, for some time she's been one of the people who actually establishes that line, at least in her neck of the woods. Having greater access to the national stage isn't going to change how somebody like DeVos thinks.