Republicans

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Republicans

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Sessions to end legal marijuana policy from Obama era
Attorney General Jeff Sessions gave U.S. attorneys the green light Thursday to aggressively enforce federal laws against marijuana — even in states where pot is legal.
The most liberal administration we've had in ages...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Guns don’t kill people, marijuana kills people!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:24 pm

:lol:

I can't wait to get out. 2 years at the most. --fingers crossed--

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

He's remarkably coherent and articulate for a pot head. I just used to grin and dribble most of the time when I smoked dope.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 pm

:lol:

Is he a pothead?

I know loads I could post, but you oughta know better Rum, tsk, tsk.

I don't use pot and look how inarticulate I can be! Jesus, just listen to the squares stuck in a war against hippies. What's their excuse?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 pm

30 years of destroying government and now that they actually get to see Trump do it, they want to leave.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... 018-216209
what a bunch of wimps.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 am

They have a cunning plan:

"GOP senators recommend FBI probe of Trump 'dossier' author Steele"
Two Republican senators have recommended that the FBI pursue a criminal investigation against Christopher Steele — the author of the disputed Trump-Russia dossier — for what they described as evidence that he made false statements to federal investigators.

"I don’t take lightly making a referral for criminal investigation. But, as I would with any credible evidence of a crime unearthed in the course of our investigations, I feel obliged to pass that information along to the Justice Department for appropriate review,” Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley said in a joint statement with Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

The senators did not provide public evidence to substantiate their request, but they noted they sent a "classified memorandum" to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray containing the basis of their request.

The request does not assess the validity of the Steele dossier, nor does it constitute a criminal allegation. "The referral is for further investigation only," according to the statement.

One congressional aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the decision by Grassley and Graham to refer Steele to the Justice Department raises an obvious anomaly.

"They are referring to DOJ a criminal prosecution based on documents DOJ gave them and based on witness testimony to the DOJ," the aide said.

The two senators claim in their letter to have seen evidence of "potential violations" by Steele of a law prohibiting false statements to government officials. These potential violations, they say, occurred "regarding his distribution of information contained in the dossier."
Those eagle-eyed Republicans found evidence they believe indicates possible criminal acts in materials supplied to them by the federal department charged with law enforcement that was apparently somehow overlooked by that department. Their zeal for chasing down crime is commendable, and any suggestion that this comes from a political calculation on their part would be unseemly. Clearly their talents are wasted in their present positions.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sessions to end legal marijuana policy from Obama era
Attorney General Jeff Sessions gave U.S. attorneys the green light Thursday to aggressively enforce federal laws against marijuana — even in states where pot is legal.
The most liberal administration we've had in ages...
The deep state in action. If Sessions has a moral argument with Mary Jane then why isn't he applying it to booze as well?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 am

Coz Jesus has wine for blood.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:They have a cunning plan:

"GOP senators recommend FBI probe of Trump 'dossier' author Steele"
Two Republican senators have recommended that the FBI pursue a criminal investigation against Christopher Steele — the author of the disputed Trump-Russia dossier — for what they described as evidence that he made false statements to federal investigators.

"I don’t take lightly making a referral for criminal investigation. But, as I would with any credible evidence of a crime unearthed in the course of our investigations, I feel obliged to pass that information along to the Justice Department for appropriate review,” Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley said in a joint statement with Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

The senators did not provide public evidence to substantiate their request, but they noted they sent a "classified memorandum" to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray containing the basis of their request.

The request does not assess the validity of the Steele dossier, nor does it constitute a criminal allegation. "The referral is for further investigation only," according to the statement.

One congressional aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the decision by Grassley and Graham to refer Steele to the Justice Department raises an obvious anomaly.

"They are referring to DOJ a criminal prosecution based on documents DOJ gave them and based on witness testimony to the DOJ," the aide said.

The two senators claim in their letter to have seen evidence of "potential violations" by Steele of a law prohibiting false statements to government officials. These potential violations, they say, occurred "regarding his distribution of information contained in the dossier."
Those eagle-eyed Republicans found evidence they believe indicates possible criminal acts in materials supplied to them by the federal department charged with law enforcement that was apparently somehow overlooked by that department. Their zeal for chasing down crime is commendable, and any suggestion that this comes from a political calculation on their part would be unseemly. Clearly their talents are wasted in their present positions.
The deep state in action. If Steele is innocent he should be able to prove it right?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:If Sessions has a moral argument with Mary Jane then why isn't he applying it to booze as well?
FFS, how can you be so dense? Jesus turned water into wine. You can't have a more comprehensive divine endorsement of the consumption of alcohol than that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Hash cakes! :yay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

This story uses 'Trump' as shorthand for the Bogus administration, but I think that it really speaks more to the slimy, underhanded approach that has come to characterize the Republican party's actions more and more as the Bogus presidency rolls on.

'Trump refuses to release documents to Maine secretary of state despite judge’s order'
President Trump’s decision last week to pull the plug on his troubled voter fraud commission was partly the result of Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap’s effort to force the body to behave in a transparent and bipartisan manner, a struggle that gained intensity Saturday, when Dunlap learned the administration would not be turning over working documents to him as a federal judge had ordered.

Trump killed the commission – which was mired in lawsuits, infighting among commissioners, and an organizational culture so secretive it had refused to tell its own membership if and when it would meet again – “rather than engage in endless legal battles at taxpayer expense,” according to a White House statement.

The president’s decision, announced Wednesday, also came less than two weeks after a federal judge ordered the commission to share working documents and scheduling information with Dunlap, who had sued the body in November after he and three other Democrats serving on the 11-member commission had been frozen out of its deliberations. American Oversight, a Washington-based ethics advocacy group that represented Dunlap in the suit, said this was “no coincidence,” as the decision had made it “clear it wouldn’t be able to operate in the shadows.”

But in a surprise move revealed Saturday, the Trump administration is resisting turning over the documents. On Friday evening, Dunlap’s attorneys received a letter from the Justice Department informing them that it would not be providing the records on the rationale that because the commission no longer exists, Dunlap is no longer a member of it and therefore not entitled to receive them. “The balance of the equities and the public interest have now shifted,” explained the letter’s author, Joseph Borson, a Justice Department attorney representing the now defunct commission, who added they intended to ask the judge to lift the order on account of the changed circumstances.

Dunlap blasted the Justice Department in a written statement released Saturday afternoon, characterizing its response as a “rich blend of arrogance and contempt for the rule of law.” He said it was “unthinkable, unconscionable and un-American that the administration would engage in actions that demonstrate such a flagrant disregard for a court ruling and the rule of law” and said he was “more committed than ever” to securing the documents.

Over the summer, Dunlap had been under fire from fellow Democrats for participating in a commission that from its first meeting had made clear it would focus almost entirely on voter fraud, a problem numerous studies and probes by administrations headed by both parties have shown is vanishingly rare. One study by Loyola Law School, Los Angeles professor Justin Levitt found just 31 credible allegations of identity fraud in all primary, general, special and municipal elections between 2000 and 2014, out of more than a billion votes cast. A 2011 voter fraud probe in Maine by Republican Secretary of State Charlie Summers and backed by Gov. Paul LePage found just one instance of fraud.

Dunlap repeatedly defended his participation [in the commission], saying it was a mistake to prejudge the commission’s intentions and that, if it were acting improperly, he would be in a position to expose it “with a bullhorn in my hand.” But he began to express concern and alarm after the body’s second and, as it turned out, last meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire, Sept. 12.

Ahead of the meeting – which was hosted by New Hampshire Secretary of State William Gardner, one of the other Democrats on the commission – Kobach asserted in an article in Breitbart News that the Granite State’s U.S. Senate race had been “stolen” from Republican incumbent Kelly Ayotte via voter fraud. His evidence was that college students had voted in the election without having acquired state driver’s licenses, even though this is explicitly legal under that state’s laws. Dunlap derided Kobach as “reckless,” while Gardner defended the integrity of the vote.

While the meeting was underway, news broke that one of the Republican members of the commission, Hans von Spakovsky of the Heritage Foundation’s Election Law Reform Initiative, had written Attorney General Jeff Sessions in February to express anger that Democrats and “mainstream Republicans” would be allowed to serve on it, claiming they would seek to obstruct the investigation. The revelation outraged Dunlap, causing him to seriously question the body’s intentions.

... Kobach had sent two controversial requests to election administrators in all 50 states asking them to turn over detailed voter registration information to the commission, including party affiliation and partial Social Security numbers. Neither of the requests – which were rejected by many blue and red states alike – was made with the prior approval or consultation with the commissioners. Maine did not provide the requested information, as Dunlap said it would violate state law.

A federal judge ruled largely in Dunlap’s favor Dec. 22, ordering the commission to turn over the documents. Dunlap said it has neither done so nor communicated with him since.

Initially, the White House and Kobach said they were not abandoning their efforts to establish the existence of widespread voter fraud. Trump supposedly directed the Department of Homeland Security to review the commission’s initial findings – the existence of which has yet to be made public – and “determine next courses of action,” according to a White House statement Wednesday. Trump’s press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, declined to explain to reporters Thursday why Homeland Security was taking over the data rather than the Department of Justice.

Kobach, who is running for governor in Kansas, told the Kansas City Star last week that Trump’s decision to end the commission came after weeks of discussion, and that DHS was chosen because it oversees immigration and could help identify noncitizens on voting rolls.

“This is a tactical shift by the president, who remains very committed to finding the scope of voter fraud,” Kobach said.

... On Friday, Reuters reported that multiple officials within Homeland Security said they were unaware of any plans for the department to begin investigating voter fraud, while department spokesman Tyler Houlton said Kobach was not serving as an adviser to them on the issue, as Kobach had claimed in interviews with reporters.“Election officials are already voicing their concern about this shift and if it will somehow divert resources and attention away from the critical infrastructure work that has been taking place,” Tammy Patrick, a former member of President Barack Obama’s commission on election administration, said by email. “That work is tantamount to ensuring the security of the (2018) midterms and is already under-resourced.”

If Homeland Security does take up the issue, election experts are concerned it may damage the newly forged trust between the department and state and local election officials, who have been working together in recent months to improve cybersecurity for voter registration databases and other crucial electoral infrastructure in the face of Russian hacking and infiltration attempts.

Stewart of MIT agreed. “Nothing good can come of moving this to DHS, and I think the secretary of DHS will have to make a decision about what is most important to the agency’s mandate,” he said. “There was a lot of work to mend fences between DHS and election officials. Why would you want to throw a monkey wrench right when the work is being done?”

Speaking to the Press Herald late Wednesday night,, Dunlap said a shift to Homeland Security would also mean a loss of transparency, which is why he considers it more important than ever to obtain the records documenting what the commission has been planning behind closed doors.