Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Rum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:39 pm

You revel in difference and discord and that makes you appear to be a deeply unattractive human being. Any progress we have made as human beings is by breaking down barriers, not creating them. People who do that are scum in my book.

A 'form of words' is now agreed it seems.

The term 'constructive ambiguity' is one I heard today on Radio 4 from a civil servant whose job it used to be to turn political negotiations into something on paper. That's how the Good Friday agreement got going, so perhaps it is fitting that this aspect of Brexit might too.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 am

Basically, all that's been happening, is the DUP posing as hard bargainers for their voters.
They couldn't be seen to be rolling over and just taking what's offered.
Their voter think that they have the whip hand, and expect to be presented with some treats to make them think they've come out ahead.

It's even possible that this was all stitched up weeks ago, and the posturing was all agreed ahead of time.
Probably not, but not completely impossible.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the Treasury finds a little extra money for Northern Ireland in the spring budget, you know, to help prepare for the transition an' all. I don't think we can honestly say that the DUP are trying to do the best for their voters, considering a the majority of them must have voted Remain. More likely they're just trying to do the best for themselves.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 am

mistermack wrote: Some of the people up there are good as gold, some are absolute shits. The nice rational people are not the problem. But you clearly have no idea of how the other half thinks and behaves.
...like Muslims, then.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 am

rainbow wrote:
mistermack wrote: Some of the people up there are good as gold, some are absolute shits. The nice rational people are not the problem. But you clearly have no idea of how the other half thinks and behaves.
...like Muslims, then.
Some of the muslims are good as gold, some are absolute shits. The nice rational people are not the problem. But you clearly have no idea of how the other half thinks and behaves.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm

“Under Theresa May, we are leaving the European Union in name only. If anyone in the Conservative party has any integrity or sense of duty left, we call on them now to save Brexit by triggering a leadership contest. Tory backbenchers, get writing to the 1922 Committee and help save your country. She has got to go.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:16 pm

rainbow wrote:
“Under Theresa May, we are leaving the European Union in name only. If anyone in the Conservative party has any integrity or sense of duty left, we call on them now to save Brexit by triggering a leadership contest. Tory backbenchers, get writing to the 1922 Committee and help save your country. She has got to go.”

That's a quote from Aaron banks - the leader of the 'Leave' campaign and a slimeball. He is currently being investigated for over spending on the campaign. The 'alignment' referred to will make it easier and a shitload less bureaucratic to do business in Europe.

..oh - I should add he is a millionaire and formerly donated to the nationalist far right UKIP party (now thankfully on its last legs).

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:31 pm

rainbow wrote:
I don't like to speak ill of the cognitively challenged, but Aaron Banks is a lying piece of shit.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Arron Banks and Nigel Farage are upset, so that can only be good news for people with a conscience.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 am

Strontium Dog wrote:Arron Banks and Nigel Farage are upset, so that can only be good news for people with a conscience.
More like Wanks and Frottage, I'd say.

http://newsthump.com/2017/12/08/popcorn ... exit-deal/
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 am

Global powers lobby to stop special Brexit deal for UK

European Union gets tough with Theresa May over trade deal, as officials insist bespoke arrangement more favourable to Britain is out of the question

Theresa May’s hopes of securing a unique post-Brexit trade deal with the EU were under threat on Saturday night as Brussels said it was coming under international pressure to deny Britain special treatment.

After a week that saw May reach a deal with the EU that will allow Brexit talks to move forward on to future trade relations, EU officials insisted a bespoke deal more favourable to the UK than other non-EU nations was out of the question.

One EU source close to the talks said: “We have been approached by a number of [non-member] countries expressing concerns and making it clear that it would constitute a major problem for them if suddenly the UK were to get better terms than they get.”

The official said that once the UK is out of the single market and customs union in March 2019, there could be no replication of the terms of the current trading relationship, or anything close to it, and no special treatment.

“It is not just an indication of some strange rigid principle. It is because things won’t work,” he said.

“First and foremost we need to stick to this balance of rights and obligations, otherwise we will be undermining our own customs union and single market. Second, we cannot upset relations with other third countries,” the official said.

“If we were to give the UK a very lopsided deal, then the other partners with whom we have been engaging and who entered into balanced agreements would come back and question those agreements.”

The comments underline the difficulties May and the government will face as the Brexit talks enter phase two in the new year. She and her ministers have repeatedly said they are seeking a bespoke deal that will allow “frictionless” trade with the EU and as much access as possible to the single market....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-for-uk
But... but... but... we're speshul.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:28 am

I may have said this before, but I predict a resurgence in the number of Brits attempting to migrate to Oz...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 am

I'd be there like a shot if they'd have me.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:54 am

I would testify for you, Rum:

"Stone the crows, he's not a bad old bludger, for a Pom..."

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:00 am

JimC wrote:I would testify for you, Rum: