Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Seabass » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm

What the fuck is an "American Wensleydale sausages"?

Also, what's wrong with American cheddars? I've had many imported cheddars, and I've never felt that the domestic ones were inferior. But then again, maybe I just have inferior Merkin taste buds.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:22 pm

seriously, I don't think I've ever tried good, superior quality cheddar, but all the cheddar I've tried was like American sliced "cheese"
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Those Kraft slices aren't cheddar. I don't think they even qualify as cheese.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 am

Kraft slices are processed cheese. Same stuff as those cute triangles in round boxes in Europe. It has cheese solids etc.
A slice of processed cheese
Processed cheese has several technical advantages over natural cheese,[1] including a far longer shelf-life, resistance to separating when cooked (meltability), and a uniform look and physical behavior. Its mass-produced nature provides arguably its greatest advantage over natural cheese: a dramatically lower cost — to producers and consumers alike — than conventional cheesemaking. This, in turn, enables industrial-scale production volumes, lower distribution costs, a steadier supply, and much faster production time compared to traditional cheeses.

The use of emulsifiers in processed cheese results in a product that melts without separating when cooked; with prolonged heating, some natural cheeses (especially cheddar and mozzarella) separate into a lumpy, molten protein gel and liquid fat combination. The emulsifiers (typically sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate, tartrate, or citrate) reduce the tendency for tiny fat globules in the cheese to coalesce and pool on the surface.

Because processed cheese does not separate when melted, it is used as an ingredient in a variety of dishes. Unlike some unprocessed cheeses, heating does not alter its taste or texture.
wiki
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 am

After Brexit trade negotiations will go something like this...
  • Prime Minister:
    • "I'm afraid we're very attached to the traditional, authentic, truly British Cornish pasty Sir. It's not something the people of Britain could easily give up."
    US Food Lobby:
    • "Prime Minister. We at American & Allied truly respect, and indeed admire, the traditional Cornish pasty. It is a marvel, a gift to world - plain and simple... like the good denizens of Cornwall itself. We Americans feel a deep, passionate kinship with the peoples of Cornwall, for was it not from that very soil that the Pilgrim Fathers set sail for the promised land... and to forge a new way of living in humble submission to the Almighty? So yes, Prime Minister, the humble pasty is something the citizens of Britain should be rightly proud of, and I can assure you they have nothing to fear from our quarter. We would never do anything to sully or denigrate that fine and noble foodstuff, nor undermine the important traditions of British culinary excellence - and as a show of our good faith, and in affirmation of our good intent and our willingness to do a little business on your little island, please accept this large donation to your party."
    Prime Minister:
    • "Wow! Now that's the kind of sauce that'll even make your pasties taste good! ...(guffaws)..."
:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am

Yes Brian that will be the way it will go especially when you become the 51st. state.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 pm

The stupid gets even more stupid. God I hate nationalism.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5869560/h ... in-france/

SACRE BLEU Home Office accused of ‘national humiliation’ after deciding new blue British passports will be made in FRANCE

The Sun can reveal that British company De La Rue is to be swapped for French firm Gemalto in a deal worth £490million

HOME Office chiefs were last night accused of “a national humiliation” after deciding FRANCE will make Britain’s new blue passports.

British company De La Rue is to be stripped of its long-standing contract to produce the nation’s new identity documents.

The Home Office sparked outrage by announcing new blue British passports will be made by a French company
Instead, the lucrative business will be handed over to French firm Gemalto, The Sun can reveal.

The security giant have won the tender to make the iconic items from 2019, in a deal worth £490million.

A total of three companies bid for the passport contract, with a German company joining De La Rue and Gemalto.

But the decision was the result of a ‘blind tender’ process, under which ministers were not allowed to know who had submitted the individual bids.

The current burgundy passport is manufactured by British firm De La RueALAMY

Under strict civil service procurement rules, the government is also not able to discriminate by excluding other EU nations from bidding.

De La Rue produced its first passport for the UK Government in 1915, and hundreds of job losses are now feared.

The decision sparked uproar among Tory MPs last night, who called on the Home Secretary to step in.

Former Cabinet minister Priti Patel dubbed it “a disgraceful decision” and “perverse”.

Priti Patel called the move 'a disgraceful decision' and 'perverse'
The prominent Brexit campaigner added: “This should be a moment that we should be celebrating. The return of our iconic blue passport will re-establish the British identity.

“But to be putting the job in the hands of the French is simply astonishing. It is a national humiliation.

“I would urge Amber Rudd and the Government to look again at the powers they have to see what they can do.”

Another former Cabinet minister, Maria Miller, whose constituency Basingstoke houses De La Rue’s HQ, is pushing ministers hard to reverse the decision.

Priti Patel urged Amber Rudd and the Government to re-think the decision
None of the three companies bidding has been informed of the formal decision yet, and they can mount legal challenges to it.

But De La Rue are believed to have feared the worst, and issued a profit warning on Tuesday, sending its share price down 13 per cent.

Gemalto are likely to make the passport’s bodies abroad but all security aspects of the document – including personalised data chips – must be produced in the UK.

A Home Office spokeswoman said: “We are running a fair and open competition to ensure that the new contract delivers a high quality and secure product and offers the best value for money for customers.

"All passports will continue to be personalised with the holder’s details in the United Kingdom, meaning that no personal data will leave the UK.

“We do not require passports to be manufactured from the UK. A proportion of blank passport books are currently manufactured overseas, and there are no security or operational reasons why this would not continue.”

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 pm

They cant get anything right.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm

No reason why not.

It's just a fucking book. I'm surprised they don't come from China.
France buy British goods. We buy French goods.

De La Rue should have been more competitive if they wanted to keep the business. Why should the British pay their inflated price? Fuck em.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:17 pm

It just breaks all the irony meters though.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:32 pm

well, I'm surprised of this, I saw the old National Printing Press building get dismantled and turned into high rent dwellings... wonder where they have relocated it, I thought it was dismantled period.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm

They should have given the contract to the pound shop.

They would source perfectly good passports for a quid, and make a profit on it.

I believe they sell credit card wallets with a notebook that look just like a passport. Perfectly ok for the job.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Long read about UKIP, Leave.Eu, dodgy money, double dealing, and a Camvridge Analytica subsidiary.

The Brexit whistleblower: ‘Did Vote Leave use me? Was I naive'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:49 am

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:36 am

More CA:

Why young, inexperienced BeLeavers were perfect for the Brexit campaign
Vote Leave didn’t know how to reach liberal Eurosceptics. But Darren Grimes and his friends, with their witty internet adverts, could do just that

• Brexit insider claims Vote Leave team may have breached spending limits