Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Rum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 am

Well the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled that the UK can (despite a certain Dutchman's insistence to the contrary) that the UK can cancel its decision to leave the EU. A glimmer of hope to some of us, though it won't happen without a shiload of drama between now and then - and probably not at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 am

Dutchy is thinking with his heart and not his head. He thinks Europe will do whatever is commensurate with punishing the UK, whereas the rest of us using our heads know that the EU will do what is best for them financially. Best financially would be the UK remaining in the EU, and second best would be them kind of out but still in the common market.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:22 pm
The last thing he wants is a clear distinction between the parties over Brexit at a general election. I'm afraid we're either going to get a Tory or a Labour Brexit whatever happens.

The thing that's forgotten is that the UK could have dealt with immigration under existing EU rules - it's just that the Treasury under Osborne and the Home Office under May decided a lax regime had more economic benefits than pitfalls. In true Tory fashion, they only ever really thought about the bottom line.
The UK actually have the strictest border controls in the EU, with the exception of the Irish Republic/Northern Ireland border.
:thinks: What exactly do they want to change?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 am

LESS PAKIS!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 am

Rum wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 am
Well the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled that the UK can (despite a certain Dutchman's insistence to the contrary) that the UK can cancel its decision to leave the EU. A glimmer of hope to some of us, though it won't happen without a shiload of drama between now and then - and probably not at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
Rum I never said that. The court was always an outside chance. Under Art 50 there was no option. The court has created one. You dont think it was political? A very clever move. It has really put the fox into the chicken run.
Gove has already said it will make no difference! What planet does he live on. It has given May a even bigger headache. Maybe too big.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm

The vote on the government's Brexit deal will go ahead tomorrow - unless it doesn't.
Theresa May understood to be delaying key vote

Theresa May is to make a statement to MPs at 15:30 GMT amid reports Tuesday's vote on her Brexit deal is being delayed.

That will be followed by a statement from Commons leader Andrea Leadsom - and then a statement from the Brexit secretary on Article 50.

Two cabinet sources have told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg Tuesday's planned Brexit vote will be delayed. There is not yet any official confirmation of the move. Downing Street had been insisting the vote would go ahead, despite Mrs May being widely expected to lose it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46509288
:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Well it is like a soap opera here in the UK today. I have just turned off running news about Brtexit because I'm fed up with it.

As of the last hour, it appears (yet to be confirmed) that May has canceled the 'meaningful' vote in Parliament which was due tomorrow on the deal she has brokered - contradicting one of her own cabinet who said it would be going ahead just a couple of hours earlier.

She knows it won't get through of course, though I admit to thinking it stood a chance - and frankly if I were in her shoes I would be grateful for that so I could get the fuck out. The pressure must be enormous.

Anyway what happens next is anyone's guess.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm
The vote on the government's Brexit deal will go ahead tomorrow - unless it doesn't.
Theresa May understood to be delaying key vote

Theresa May is to make a statement to MPs at 15:30 GMT amid reports Tuesday's vote on her Brexit deal is being delayed.

That will be followed by a statement from Commons leader Andrea Leadsom - and then a statement from the Brexit secretary on Article 50.

Two cabinet sources have told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg Tuesday's planned Brexit vote will be delayed. There is not yet any official confirmation of the move. Downing Street had been insisting the vote would go ahead, despite Mrs May being widely expected to lose it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46509288
:smoke:

Theresa May postpones Brexit deal vote

Prime minister to make statement to MPs as pound falls to lowest level in 18 months

Theresa May has postponed the final vote on her Brexit deal, in a clear admission by the prime minister that she does not believe she can get the unpopular withdrawal agreement through the House of Commons at this time.

As sources confirmed the development, the Speaker’s office said May would give an oral statement to the House of Commons on the European Union at 3.30pm.

It will be immediately followed by a business statement from the leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom, implying that she will confirm the procedural details of the postponement.

A vote could take place next week or even be delayed until early January, although this would allow less time for the ensuing Brexit legislation to be passed through parliament before 29 March. The ultimate deadline for the vote is 21 January.
Talk about running scared. She should throw in the towel and cancel Brexit.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Rum wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:21 pm
Anyway what happens next is anyone's guess.
Signatures to the 1922 committee I think. Boho Bo Jo for party leader - in which case we'll end up with the 'anybody but Boris' candidate as PM!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 pm

The UK is entering unknown territory. I never have seen any country in such a mess. It is almost like Germany during the Weimar Republic when no on knew who was in charge or what was happening.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:29 pm

I would have thought May would wait until the vote was lost before resigning. Perhaps she wants to spare herself the humiliation.

Boris? - NOT BORIS PLEASE!

I don't think even the Tories would be that dumb...though circumstances sometimes have their own momentum..

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 pm
The UK is entering unknown territory. I never have seen any country in such a mess. It is almost like Germany during the Weimar Republic when no on knew who was in charge or what was happening.
I thought yesterday you told us America was in a big mess. Is it bigger or smaller than your ex country? We need to expertise here Scotty. And which gives you the most joy?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Very funny. The mess of America is quite different to UK mess. America is slowly sorting out its mess as Mueller has his hand just heading for Trump's balls.

The UK is at the moment ungovernable. Nobody has a clue. Nobody is talking to each other. They are standing in different corners and muttering to themselves.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Ungovernable you say? And yet the riots are happening in an EU country the last I looked.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:15 pm

It is not that far yet. Give it time to sink in. Brexiteers are not known for their speed.

Spending public money on Facebook?

Almost £100k of public money spent on Brexit deal Facebook ads
Government has spent £96,684 in past week on Facebook ads backing Theresa May’s deal
Zuck would not have noticed.