Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by mistermack » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:The war is over MrM. Time to let that one go.
Time to surrender without a fight you mean?
That might suit the French and the Dutch mentality, but the Brits don't like it.

True, the referendum was won by a small percentage.

Never in the field of British politics, has so much, been owed by so many, to so few. :tup:
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Seems to me 'the troll' is only thing Brexiteers have to argue with now. When was the last time a prominent Brexiteer said anything positive or constructive about post-Brexit Britain beyond bland platitudes about perpetually sunny uplands of milk and honey? All they have is an abject horror of the EU, predominantly borne of a Trump-like inferiority complex ("You can't tell me what to do. You're not my real Dad!"), and smug assumptions that everything will carry on exactly as before, just with less foreigners. It's teleology all the way down. If (and more likely when) it all goes tits up I'm sure the Brexiteers will continue to blame the Germans and the French and their straight bananas and fundamentally un-British human rights laws - it's a trained Pavlovian response.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:54 pm

I think it's positive and constructive to rejoice in being free of control by unelected Euro mandarins and well worth the tiny price that is being quoted.
If Europe was different, then it would be a different story. But it's not, and it's all heading one way.
In any case, the UK has a long way to drop, before we are as badly off as Greece or Italy. And we won't be baling them out either.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Just who is unelected? But obviously you dont know anything about how the EU works only what the Daily Wail has told you.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm

mistermack wrote:I think it's positive and constructive to rejoice in being free of control by unelected Euro mandarins and well worth the tiny price that is being quoted.
If Europe was different, then it would be a different story. But it's not, and it's all heading one way.
In any case, the UK has a long way to drop, before we are as badly off as Greece or Italy. And we won't be baling them out either.
From: https://www.economist.com/blogs/economi ... xplains-10

"Every government has bureaucrats, who are by nature unelected. The EU, with about 33,000 civil servants, is dwarfed by the British government, which employs over 400,000".

..and guess what, without the EU who do quite a lot of the humdrum bureaucracy the UK is going to need more! :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Jobs for the 'boys'.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Jobs for the 'boys'.
Not really as it happens (I'm defending both sides here!). I suspect a lot of that number include local government officers of the type I was who run the county level stuff.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 pm

Rum wrote:
mistermack wrote:I think it's positive and constructive to rejoice in being free of control by unelected Euro mandarins and well worth the tiny price that is being quoted.
From: https://www.economist.com/blogs/economi ... xplains-10

"Every government has bureaucrats, who are by nature unelected. The EU, with about 33,000 civil servants, is dwarfed by the British government, which employs over 400,000".

..and guess what, without the EU who do quite a lot of the humdrum bureaucracy the UK is going to need more! :lol:
The government have recruited 8000+ civil servants since Article 50 was invoked, virtually all of them employed in Whitehall. Someone has to do the paperwork, but it didn't stop Brexit Minister Steven Baker saying that civil servants were deliberately producing negative impact reports in an attempt to influence government policy. You see, the only good civil servant is the one that confirms what you imagine to be true - anything else is treasonous sabotage!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just who is unelected? But obviously you dont know anything about how the EU works only what the Daily Wail has told you.
wikipedia wrote:The European Commission (EC) is an institution of the European Union, responsible for proposing legislation, implementing decisions, upholding the EU treaties and managing the day-to-day business of the EU.[2] Commissioners swear an oath at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, pledging to respect the treaties and to be completely independent in carrying out their duties during their mandate.[3]

The Commission operates as a cabinet government, with 28 members of the Commission (informally known as "commissioners").[4] There is one member per member state, but members are bound by their oath of office to represent the general interest of the EU as a whole rather than their home state.[3] One of the 28 is the Commission President (currently Jean-Claude Juncker) proposed by the European Council[5] and elected by the European Parliament.[6] The Council of the European Union then nominates the other 27 members of the Commission in agreement with the nominated President, and the 28 members as a single body are then subject to a vote of approval by the European Parliament.[7] The current Commission is the Juncker Commission, which took office in late 2014.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:27 am

I wonder what main language the EU is planning to use, after we leave?

It will look a bit silly to keep using English, when only little Ireland speaks it as a first language.

They might as well save time and move to German now. They will all be speaking it in the end anyway.

And then, ON TO MOSCOW !!!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 am

mistermack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Just who is unelected? But obviously you dont know anything about how the EU works only what the Daily Wail has told you.
wikipedia wrote:The European Commission (EC) is an institution of the European Union, responsible for proposing legislation, implementing decisions, upholding the EU treaties and managing the day-to-day business of the EU.[2] Commissioners swear an oath at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, pledging to respect the treaties and to be completely independent in carrying out their duties during their mandate.[3]

The Commission operates as a cabinet government, with 28 members of the Commission (informally known as "commissioners").[4] There is one member per member state, but members are bound by their oath of office to represent the general interest of the EU as a whole rather than their home state.[3] One of the 28 is the Commission President (currently Jean-Claude Juncker) proposed by the European Council[5] and elected by the European Parliament.[6] The Council of the European Union then nominates the other 27 members of the Commission in agreement with the nominated President, and the 28 members as a single body are then subject to a vote of approval by the European Parliament.[7] The current Commission is the Juncker Commission, which took office in late 2014.
Do you know what the function of the Commission is? Why it was set up? What its future is?

The ultimate power lies with the EU Parliament which is elected on PR principles. Far more democratic than the UK's FPTP system.

Go on and have a fine read. https://europa.eu/european-union/about- ... -bodies_en Dont rely on Wiki get it straight from the horses mouth.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 am

Change the subject why don't you? You got your answer, you didn't like it, you pathetically try to dodge it.
Scot Dutchy wrote:Just who is unelected?

Lesson, don't ask stupid questions if the answer is going to make you look silly.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 pm

mistermack wrote:Change the subject why don't you? You got your answer, you didn't like it, you pathetically try to dodge it.
Scot Dutchy wrote:Just who is unelected?

Lesson, don't ask stupid questions if the answer is going to make you look silly.
The lesson for you is you dont understand how the EU works which is obvious. You only talk about one part of the total EU structure which is why I gave you some reading to do to bring you up to speed. The Commission does not run the EU. It is a body for transition. The EU project is no where being completed. Once it is the Commission will be dispensed with having the last of any powers it has transferred to the Parliament. Just read the history of the EU it is all explained there.

Lesson: Stop making stupid comments without knowing the whole story.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote: Lesson: Stop making stupid comments without knowing the whole story.
Write that down before you forget it again.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:10 pm

The Wiki snippet doesn't support your claim.

Perhaps you can spell it out for us? :tea:

Frank Zappa