Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 am

You’ve said this before and you were wrong. May in her speech just a few minutes ago talked about a delay. The EU will be flexible if it is in their interests, which an orderly exit is.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:37 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 am
You’ve said this before and you were wrong. May in her speech just a few minutes ago talked about a delay. The EU will be flexible if it is in their interests, which an orderly exit is.
How are they going to be flexible. We have not reached B day yet so how can I be wrong. Has the EU delayed anything? May is whistling down the wind. Did you not hear the EU leaders with one voice: NO CHANGE.

The EU has plans in place for a no deal Brexit. They have planned for all exits but has the UK. Get those lorry parks ready.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 am

Thing is you think these issues through with your emotions. You hate the land of your origin so much you always seek out the worst outcome - with some glee it always seems to me. From earlier this morning:

"She said a new prime minister would have to scrap or extend Article 50, the mechanism taking Britain out of the EU on 29 March, "delaying or even stopping Brexit"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46535739

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am

Hasn't a European court said that the UK could abandon Brexit? In law, it doesn't need another referendum, just a parliamentary vote, I gather...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 am

What a fucking shambles this whole thing has been. It's a good argument for not letting stupid people vote.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 am
Thing is you think these issues through with your emotions. You hate the land of your origin so much you always seek out the worst outcome - with some glee it always seems to me. From earlier this morning:

"She said a new prime minister would have to scrap or extend Article 50, the mechanism taking Britain out of the EU on 29 March, "delaying or even stopping Brexit"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46535739
You believe what May says? Extension without withdrawal agreement? My feelings for my place of birth has nothing to do with it. I believe in reality which is sorely missing in UK politics. May is finished and washed up.
Just read Art 50. The divorce has to be agreed upon then the discussion on future relationships (ie FTA) can take place and if required this time can extended. Not the other way round.
The HoC would surely have to be consulted about cancelling Art 50 but it does not have much time. Or is the UK a dictatorship. What happens if a Brexiteer is PM? There will be no cancelling of Art 50 then and no deal either.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I believe May is honourable. I don't agree with Tory policy as I am 'of the left' but she is as straight as they come.

May needs 158 votes to survive. At this point, it looks like a close run thing. Public declarations accounted for she will survive, but it is a secret ballot and some of the Tory ministers are real snakes and they certainly could vote contrary to their publicly declared loyalties. We will know later today.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:19 pm

It is not a question of being honourable but also being realistic. She has always had problem with that. Was it realistic to have a quick jog around the EU and expect changes when it had been made absolutely clear to her there was nothing to be had? Madness.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 am
Of course, she could always fall on her sword.
technically, delaying that vote was the political equivalent of doing just that.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:22 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am
Hasn't a European court said that the UK could abandon Brexit? In law, it doesn't need another referendum, just a parliamentary vote, I gather...
IIRC, the ECJ said that, but the fact is that what is in theory a simple act is practically faught with many complications, to start with, the fact that the treaties include no provisions for a country wanting back on their article 50 declaration, once it has been invoked.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 am
What a fucking shambles this whole thing has been. It's a good argument for not letting stupid people vote.
What don't you understand in 'democracy'? "demos" is an old Greek word that means 'stupid'.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Arguably what we are seeing *is* democracy. It ain't pretty but it does reflect the mix of views and passions of the ordinary people of the county.

Of course we do also need some leadership...

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:00 pm

This back-and-forth twaddling is mind-numbing. Is there going to be a second Brexit referendum or not? :ask:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:22 pm
JimC wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am
IIRC, the ECJ said that, but the fact is that what is in theory a simple act is practically faught with many complications, to start with, the fact that the treaties include no provisions for a country wanting back on their article 50 declaration, once it has been invoked.
Well this it. Some Remainers seem to think everything will just go into full reverse and nobody will notice which of course could not be further from the truth. You cannot expect to cause such ructions without any price being exerted. Art 50 actually implies that to reapply after issuing an Art 50 letter is via Art 49 which would be completely joining again. Thus accepting the Euro and Schengen and no rebates. Quite a thought.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Jason wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:00 pm
This back-and-forth twaddling is mind-numbing. Is there going to be a second Brexit referendum or not? :ask:
It would have to be a bill passed by the HoC. Do you see that happening in the present climate?