Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Rum » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 am

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:27 am

Rum wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 am
Don't they have google in Africa? :what:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-backstop
No we communicate from village to village using drums.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am

rainbow wrote:Backstop, backstop - WTF is "backstop"?

I heard May going on about it, but it made no sense except if one were to assume that Brexit would mean that nothing changes.
'Backstop' is the name given to a workable plan for addressing the EU's open Irish border with UK, a plan which secures trade and honours the NI peace accord. The only slight problem so far is that the EU and UK have been unable to agree on the list of issues which might form the basis of talks that might lead to a final, binding settlement. It's a kinda magic.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am

I heard May going on about it, but it made no sense except if one were to assume that Brexit would mean that nothing changes.
'Backstop' is the name given to a workable plan for addressing the EU's open Irish border with UK, a plan which secures trade and honours the NI peace accord. The only slight problem so far is that the EU and UK have been unable to agree on the list of issues which might form the basis of talks that might lead to a final, binding settlement. It's a kinda magic.
...so as an African refugee, I'd be able to fly into Dublin, hitch a ride into Northern Ireland and take a ferry into England, go on the dole and have my piles treated for free on the National Health.

What has changed, then?
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:10 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 am

rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am
Brian Peacock wrote:

...so as an African refugee, I'd be able to fly into Dublin, hitch a ride into Northern Ireland and take a ferry into England, go on the dole and have my piles treated for free on the National Health.

What has changed, then?
remember, the brits are great at expelling unwelcome foreigners, which they will do with abandon as soon as they are no longer constrained by EU rules.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 am
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am
Brian Peacock wrote:

What has changed, then?
remember, the brits are great at expelling unwelcome foreigners, which they will do with abandon as soon as they are no longer constrained by EU rules.
Me unwelcome?
The British Passport official had a long chat with me last time I was in Blighty. Was really very nice and interested in my trip, where I was going, who I was going to see. You don't get that kind of attention in Europe.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Only if you try to live in the country for longer than three months.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:24 am

Wot you lot of Poms can look forward to post-Brexit.
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 am

Here's one for Scot...
ID cards could assuage Brexit voters' migration fears, says report

Ministers should introduce electronic identity cards stating the right to live, work, claim benefits and use public services in Britain to address the concerns of leave voters about immigration in the event of a second referendum, a study has suggested.

The report from the Global Future thinktank, backed by the remainer peer Andrew Adonis, claimed the cards could be a key plank of any future campaign to persuade anxious voters that the UK did not have to leave the EU.

Under the proposal, electronic ID cards would be compulsory for anyone staying in the UK for more than 90 days. They would be used to claim entitlements and access public services, but could restrict those without the right to do so.

The government could then use the data to target extra funding for areas experiencing increases in immigration, although the report acknowledged there may be some privacy concerns and said the information must be anonymised and protected from abuse.

The thinktank also suggested setting up a “strengthening communities fund” underpinned by a £2bn-a-year investment in services and infrastructure to address the impacts of immigration, including increasing language provision and integration...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... _clipboard
Told ya :)

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

Fling off the yoke of the EU...and make a new rather tighter fitting one.

Fuckwits.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:24 pm

We dont have ID cards. Not like Belgium or Germany. You have to have some of proof of identity when asked by those who have the authority to ask.
I know for Rum and many Little Englanders ID cards are the devil's business but if the UK had a form of registration it would have much fewer population problems.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Why do you keep dissing Rum? He's no Brexitarian and I don't think his views fit the 'Little Englander' tag in any way, shape or form. Perhaps you've mistaken his use of irony for sincerity, or perhaps you just enjoy trolling him, or something. I don't know. :dunno:

And I don't know why you continue to slag off the Brexitarians - you should be cheering on the Rees-Moggs and Duncan-Smiths because you don't want the UK in the EU anyway. Eh? :ask:

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks, BP. Saved me the problem of thinking up an ironic comeback. :lay:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm
Why do you keep dissing Rum? He's no Brexitarian and I don't think his views fit the 'Little Englander' tag in any way, shape or form. Perhaps you've mistaken his use of irony for sincerity, or perhaps you just enjoy trolling him, or something. I don't know. :dunno:

And I don't know why you continue to slag off the Brexitarians - you should be cheering on the Rees-Moggs and Duncan-Smiths because you don't want the UK in the EU anyway. Eh? :ask:
Well positive is he not over Brexit. Last comment about yokes? The UK has done well out of the EU and he knows it.
Of course I want the UK in the EU but Little Englanders can fuck themselves sideways. I did not say Rum was a Little Englander. I was just comparing him regarding ID cards which we have mentioned before. Btw who disses who. We both rag each other. Same generation. Ok different life paths but been around a bit. :smug: :td: