Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am

The same as petrol prices or transferring money between banks. Transferring money from our account in Ireland to this country should be instantaneous but it always takes a day. I log onto Bank of Ireland and make the transfer. It has vastly improved when 10 years ago it took a week to come over.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Apparently, talking as she went in to meet other EU leaders Mrs May said wanted to see a sense of urgency in the UK/EU exit negotiations. You couldn't make it up could you? Who's been dragging their feet again? Do you know that Corbyn has spent more time talking to Barnier than Davis has?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 pm

The EU will not talk about trade until the UK is a third country but once again the UK wants privileges. They dont understand what negotiations are and how to conduct them.
What is the Brexiteers' plan? Just slip into being the 51st state? They are doing nothing. Not one thing. It is so odd.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 pm

They're doing exactly what they need to to achieve the desired result - the UK crashing out of the EU and an instant abandonment of all commitments to the EU or to EU law or regulations.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:43 pm

They still have to pay their debts.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:06 pm

What's the EU to do if we don't pay up - send in the troops?

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:14 pm

seize assets, impose trade penalties, write very strongly worded remonstrances...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

The hard Brexiteers have a new wheeze. They are trying to 'redefine' hard brexit as an opportunity and rid it of the sense catastrophe that most people and the media seem to believe it to be. These people are happy to impose an economic 'reset' of our economy as it adjusts to WTO agreements and arrangements, despite the inevitable rise in unemployment levels, damage to the economy and mayhem that this has the potential to cause.

"Meanwhile a group of pro-Brexit Tory and Labour politicians - including former Chancellor Lord Lawson, former Conservative minister Owen Paterson and Labour MP Kate Hoey - is urging Mrs May to walk away from negotiations this week if the EU does not accommodate the UK's wishes.
In the event of no progress at Thursday's meeting, the letter, organised by the Leave Means Leave campaign, says Mrs May should formally declare the UK is working on the assumption it will be reverting to World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules on 30 March 2019".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 pm

The WTO agreements still have to he 'agreed' - they're not off-the-shelf arrangements that will suddenly, magically come into play on B-day.

Frank Zappa

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Dr Liam Fox, international trade secretary said: “The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history".

So the chumps in charge have thus far failed to do even the "easiest" deal.

It is somewhat discouraging.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:41 pm

The problem is trying to follow this stuff via the media. It is highly complicated and technical and all we ever get are summaries, impressions (often contradictory) and opinion. I'm not sure I would want or for that matter have the ability to engage with the detail, but it is frustrating to feel as if one can't really get to grips with the real issues.

The Brexiteers would say that's just like Brussels of course..

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

I don't know what their problem is.
Theresa May has said categorically that the UK will pay all of it's commitments. She's offered a two year transition, when the EU will continue living it up on our health service money.

If they think they can rob the UK of it's financial industry, they have to face the UK not buying their overpriced grape squish or getting our cars from Japan and the US and Korea and China.

We all know they want to keep selling us their stuff. If they want access to the UK market, they should have to pay. Or do a deal.

May has gone much too far already.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:26 pm

mistermack wrote:...
If they think they can rob the UK of it's financial industry, they have to face the UK not buying their overpriced grape squish or getting our cars from Japan and the US and Korea and China.
The EU isn't robbing the UK of its financial industry, its financial industry is defecting.

Splitters! :lay:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 am

Well May admits she is in trouble as she pleads to the EU to give her deal she can defend! WTF
The EU has been insulted by almost all the Brexiteers and told there must be trade talks. Now it has finally sunk in Brexit is a mess and is not possible. So what does May do pulls on the sack cloth and begs for help. Just why would the EU help the UK? In all its 40 years as a member it is the one that has always been against any changes in closer cooperation. It is the one that demanded rebates and special deals by threatening to leave. It has been the tantrum kid. The one that is so despised by the other EU leaders.
Brexit was going to be fantastic. The UK was going to be a big player in world trade. It was going to lead the way to the demise and break up of the EU. We had the three stooges blowing off: "we dont need the EU but they need us". Nigel Farage "taking back or sovereignty" which the UK had never lost. "We will cut immigration" when in fact they could have done it 10 years ago but did not bother.
So now the birds have come home to roost and the penny has dropped; Brexit is a failure.

Theresa May admits for the first time that Brexit negotiations have been in 'difficulty'
Theresa May has admitted for the first time that Brexit negotiations have hit “difficulty” as she beseeched European leaders to give her a deal she can sell to the British people.

The Prime Minister explicitly conceded last night that talks were in trouble ahead of her key intervention in Florence two weeks ago, prompting her to try and get negotiations back on track.

She told Angela Merkel, Emmanuel Macron and other EU leaders that there is now the “urgent” need for progress with the threat of the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal looming.
Well the EU will offer a deal she cant refuse but it will not be the deal she expected. She is fucked at both ends.

What does Brexit mean to the EU:
Other issues such as forest fires and migration have dominated the first day of European Council discussions, [b2]with Britain's departure not even getting a mention[/b2] in the first press conference between Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk after hours of talks.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 pm

MP and Conservative Party parliamentary whip writes to all university chancellors asking for the names of professors who teach courses on Brexit.

"Are you now, or have you ever been, a Remain voter? Isn't it true that you have always been a Remain voter and sympathetic to the cause of Remain voters? Are you going to continue to undermine the Will of the British People by refusing to provide a list of people you know to be sympathetic to the Remain cause?"

Frank Zappa