Right Wing Regressives Need to Stop

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Right Wing Regressives Need to Stop

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Steady Tiger.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Tyrannical wrote:LGBT is a mental illness. Technically a genetic defect I think the current wisdom is.
So, off to the gas chambers with them, along with Jews, Blacks, Gypsies and all deviants from the Aryan ideal, eh?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Collector1337
About me: I am a satire of your stereotype about me.

Post by Collector1337 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:50 pm

JimC wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:LGBT is a mental illness. Technically a genetic defect I think the current wisdom is.
So, off to the gas chambers with them, along with Jews, Blacks, Gypsies and all deviants from the Aryan ideal, eh?
Nice strawman.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
JimC wrote:
Nice strawman.
Not at all. You are a little more circumspect, but Tyrannical consistently expresses arguments which would find a happy home in the Third Reich, as does the Dodo man...

And your knowledge of the language of debate is lacking. My response could be accused of containing a little hyperbole (although I would not agree), but a straw man it is not...
And my gin!

Collector1337

Post by Collector1337 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:23 am

JimC wrote:
Collector1337 wrote:
JimC wrote:
Nice strawman.
Not at all. You are a little more circumspect, but Tyrannical consistently expresses arguments which would find a happy home in the Third Reich, as does the Dodo man...

And your knowledge of the language of debate is lacking. My response could be accused of containing a little hyperbole (although I would not agree), but a straw man it is not...
Yet again, calling people names, in this case a Nazi (essentially), is not an argument.

This is more of the same leftist tactics of calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a Nazi. Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself for using these kind of tactics while at the same time claiming my knowledge of debate is lacking.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:04 am

Hermit wrote:Best police force/justice system money can buy.

I also love how income gained through long term (12 months) capital gains is taxed at no more than 20% in the USA, no matter how rich or poor you are.
Me too! It's my very favorite part of the tax code. Certain investments attract a rate of either 25 or 28% for higher income filers; however, for the majority of people the rate is either 0 (combined income < 75,900) or 15% (combined income > 75900 and < 470,100). Over that level the rate is 20%.

We sold a rental house and made a tidy profit, but will pay zero capital gains tax. I am quite OK with that. Actually I haven't paid any federal tax in years. I'm quite OK with that, too.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:35 am

Collector1337 wrote:
JimC wrote:
Collector1337 wrote:
JimC wrote:
Nice strawman.

Yet again, calling people names, in this case a Nazi (essentially), is not an argument.

This is more of the same leftist tactics of calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a Nazi. Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself for using these kind of tactics while at the same time claiming my knowledge of debate is lacking.
Have you actually read many of Tyrannical's posts?

Calling Jews "kikes", and blacks subhuman?

If that isn't a fucking good fit with Nazi ideology, I don't know what is...
And my gin!

Collector1337

Post by Collector1337 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:48 pm

JimC wrote:

Is having an in-group preference racist?

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
JimC wrote:

Not in itself, but when (as is often the case) it is accompanied by out-group hatred based on race, it certainly is...
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Forty Two wrote: [L'Emmerdeur said that] the LGBT example was not an equivalent example, but there has yet to be an explanation as to why it's not.
It's not equivalent because the generic "LGBT parade" example you used is a celebration, not an overtly political event.
That doesn't make it something that can't be protested. A St. Patrick's Day Parade is not an overtly political event either, but it's fairly common to see protests against it.

Similarly, Julius Caesar is not an "overtly political event." It's a Shakespeare play.

There is no reason why the only fit subjects for protest are things that are "overtly politically." Some things have less overt or non-overt political themes. Some people protest for religious reasons. Some protest for social or moral reasons.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
In this post I think I made it pretty clear that I was distinguishing between political protest at a political event and your specious attempts at making political protest at non-political events equivalent.
The context was a protest of the kind against the Shakespearean play "Julius Caesar," which is not a "political event."
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
My position is that if some group is making a political statement, it is a legitimate action for another group to publicly and non-violently oppose it. Staging a political protest against a family picnic (one of your more absurd false equivalencies) is not an equivalent action. Your inability to distinguish between the two is your problem, not mine.
Being pro-LGBT is a political statement to some people. Maybe not to you. But, to some people it has both political and religious import. For example, the LG bit involves marriage equality issues, adoption issues, and to some people they view the issue as having overall societal and cultural issues - all of that is political to some. They may not want to see Ls and Gs promoted or accepted in society. As bad as you and I might view that, it's THEIR political view. Also, the T bit involves those same issues, plus issues of funding for transitioning hormones and procedures, legislation involving legal protections for them, etc. Opposition to that is political in the minds of many. So, protesting a pro-LGBT play, to the protesters, is political. They choose to protest that pro-LGBT play or event, because it's where their message against LGBT issues will be seen and heard.

It is equivalent.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
JimC wrote:

No, Colonicenema1337

What gave you that idea?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm

I also love how income gained through long term (12 months) capital gains is taxed at no more than 20% in the USA, no matter how rich or poor you are.
There's good reason why capital gains should be taxed fairly low. If you were tax "capital gains" at 50%, for example, then when you opened up a TD Ameritrade account, put $500 in -- taking 100% of the risk -- and investing in a stock or bond. Then you leave that money there for two years and it turns into, say $1000, if you are taxed at 50% then the $500 that you gained, would be cut in half. You now have only $250 for your risk and loss of use of funds for 2 years. If you invested that $500 and it went down to $400, nobody is reimbursing you. Nobody else is bearing that risk.

So, as a matter of government policy, if you want people to invest their money, and increase the money available for lending to businesses and industry, then you don't want to eliminate the benefit to the people taking the risk.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Collector1337 wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
JimC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:LGBT isn't a political persuasion but a state of being.
However, it is often strongly associated with generally left-leaning politics...
Yeah, but only coz it's only the left that are bothered about securing legal and civil equality for all. The framers of the US constitution: Lefties.
Everyone is already equal under the law.

What more do you want?
The gender wage gap provides you an answer. Equality under the law is insufficient. If there is a disparity in an economic outcome between two designated groups, then the reason is sexism or racism, etc., and that must be remedied. So, when side A says women are paid less than men, and side B says "well, women work fewer hours, and take jobs in lower paying fields," then side A responds that the reason they do that is because of sexism, so equality requires legislative action to equalize hours worked or to compensate jobs in fields women tend to take more (because fields women tend to take are no less "valuable" than fields men tend to take).

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
In this post I think I made it pretty clear that I was distinguishing between political protest at a political event and your specious attempts at making political protest at non-political events equivalent.
The context was a protest of the kind against the Shakespearean play "Julius Caesar," which is not a "political event."
It most certainly is when the main character is the President.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Forty Two wrote:

There's good reason why capital gains should be taxed fairly low. If you were tax "capital gains" at 50%, for example, then when you opened up a TD Ameritrade account, put $500 in -- taking 100% of the risk -- and investing in a stock or bond. Then you leave that money there for two years and it turns into, say $1000, if you are taxed at 50% then the $500 that you gained, would be cut in half. You now have only $250 for your risk and loss of use of funds for 2 years. If you invested that $500 and it went down to $400, nobody is reimbursing you.
In Australia we have capital losses where you can offset previous losses against current and future gains. I'd be surprised if you didn't have a similar thing in the US.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.