Obama Administration Spied on Americans Illegally

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Obama Administration Spied on Americans Illegally

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 am

http://circa.com/politics/barack-obamas ... -americans
The National Security Agency under former President Barack Obama routinely violated American privacy protections while scouring through overseas intercepts and failed to disclose the extent of the problems until the final days before Donald Trump was elected president last fall, according to once top-secret documents that chronicle some of the most serious constitutional abuses to date by the U.S. intelligence community
The normally supportive court censured administration officials, saying the failure to disclose the extent of the violations earlier amounted to an “institutional lack of candor” and that the improper searches constituted a “very serious Fourth Amendment issue,” according to a recently unsealed court document dated April 26, 2017.

The admitted violations undercut one of the primary defenses that the intelligence community and Obama officials have used in recent weeks to justify their snooping into incidental NSA intercepts about Americans.
The American Civil Liberties Union said the newly disclosed violations are some of the most serious to ever be documented and strongly call into question the U.S. intelligence community’s ability to police itself and safeguard American’s privacy as guaranteed by the Constitution’s Fourth Amendment protections against unlawful search and seizure.

“I think what this emphasizes is the shocking lack of oversight of these programs,” said Neema Singh Guliani, the ACLU’s legislative counsel in Washington.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Obama Administration Spied on Americans Illegally

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 am

And Democrats think the problem with politics is racist white trash. They seem almost totally unaware of their own role in the upheaval of politics in the US.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 am

The NSA secretly conducted illegal searches on Americans for years? Well, I never... I never... I'm shocked! Who would have thunk that an organisation comprising 30,000 to 40,000 snoops would do such a thing? What on earth next? The CIA? Any of the other couple of dozen outfits specifically tasked to spy on people without being subject to rigorous supervision?

I note the article starts with "The National Security Agency ... failed to disclose the extent of the problems" That means Obama was left out of the loop until the NSA decided that it had to disclose it. Nevertheless, John Solomon and Sara Carter managed to squeeze his name 5 times into first five quite short paragraphs while running out of space after mentioning the NSA three times. Well done, John and Sara.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 24, 2017 5:58 am

Obama certainly should have been aware of the possibility, as this stuff was first leaked a few years ago. The problem the rest of the west has is that they view Obama as some sort of liberal/progressive champion. Sure, he seemed like a nice bloke, but the reality of the policies and foreign actions that he oversaw paints a totally different picture. Some argue the same thing is happening in Canada with J-Boy Trudeau. While he certainly appears far more progressive than Obama, he's still up to some shady shit, including arms deals with Saudi Arabia.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 am

There will never be a progressive leader we can trust until rEv, Hermit and I are elected as a triumvirate bringing Oz into a new dawn...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 7:02 am

JimC wrote:There will never be a progressive leader we can trust until rEv, Hermit and I are elected as a triumvirate bringing Oz into a new dawn...
Oz won't like it. Dawn celebrated her 93rd birthday not very long ago.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 24, 2017 7:04 am

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 am

Forty Two wrote:
The National Security Agency under former President Barack Obama routinely violated American privacy protections while scouring through overseas intercepts and failed to disclose the extent of the problems until the final days before Donald Trump was elected president last fall, according to once top-secret documents that chronicle some of the most serious constitutional abuses to date by the U.S. intelligence community
:bored:
:whisper: something we didn't know already :whisper:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am

I couldn't tell, rainbow, that you knew. You never mentioned it. :-)
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 am

Forty Two wrote:http://circa.com/politics/barack-obamas ... -americans
The normally supportive court censured administration officials, saying the failure to disclose the extent of the violations earlier amounted to an “institutional lack of candor” and that the improper searches constituted a “very serious Fourth Amendment issue,” according to a recently unsealed court document dated April 26, 2017.

The admitted violations undercut one of the primary defenses that the intelligence community and Obama officials have used in recent weeks to justify their snooping into incidental NSA intercepts about Americans.
The American Civil Liberties Union said the newly disclosed violations are some of the most serious to ever be documented and strongly call into question the U.S. intelligence community’s ability to police itself and safeguard American’s privacy as guaranteed by the Constitution’s Fourth Amendment protections against unlawful search and seizure.

“I think what this emphasizes is the shocking lack of oversight of these programs,” said Neema Singh Guliani, the ACLU’s legislative counsel in Washington.
A disingenuous cynic would brand this propaganda from the Trump team's favoured, and most favourable, outlet. You see, if one is going to brand outlets like the Washington Post or NYT as purveyors of progressive propaganda one has to accept reciprocal charges about SBG in return. Either way, an appraisal of the facts and the national political debate is damaged - whether a political organisation strikes a special deal with a mass-media outlet or not.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 11:27 am

The ACLU - a shill for Donald Trump. LOL

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Whoooosh!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT