The Thread of Democrats

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: The Thread of Democrats

Post by Animavore » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 pm

:what:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Jason wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Alarmed about what? The highest levels of sea ice in a decade in the arctic were recorded in 2016 and 50+ years of data from the arctic weather stations does not show any notable rise in temperatures. :dunno:

I'm not particularly alarmed...
Not sure what 'highest levels of sea ice' means, but perhaps you're referring to area. I found this site, which provides a means of comparison year to year, date to date. I put in 1992 (earliest year they make available) in comparison to 2016 --

As for whether there has been a 'notable rise in temperature' in the Arctic, I suppose that depends on what you mean by notable. I took a graph of temperature readings covering 2000 to present from this site. The dotted line represents the Worlds Meteorological Organisation 'normal period' of 1961-1990. That only serves as a reference, but what we can see is a definite trend of warming in the Arctic in the past 18 years.

Below, from a different page on the same site, a graph showing temperature anomalies from 1850 to 2009, also showing the WMO normal period.

:dunno:

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Animavore wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 pm
So... you don't want it? :ask:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Jason wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:47 pm
Animavore wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 pm
So... you don't want it? :ask:
Can't tell if joking...
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:52 pm

I admit I haven't looked at the whole of the North American weather station data yet, so maybe it'll show the warming, but it certainly doesn't show in the data from the arctic stations.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm

L'emmy's data is fairly straightforward, and rather convincing...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am

Seabass wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:28 pm
Well, I saw the 60 Minutes clip to which you are probably referring.

Either:
A. you don't know how marginal tax rates work,
B. you are being dishonest, or
C. you are, as is so often the case, mindlessly parroting far-right disinformation.

My guess would be C.
As long as you only make a small amount of money, you don't have to pay much taxes. You only get the REALLY punishing tax rate if you are VERY successful.

Is that about how the 'marginal tax rate' works?

Because I think it is, and I think if you are (like me) near poverty, it's tough to imagine this fact, but here goes...

Some people earn FAR above the lower tax-brackets. What would be the incentive for any of them to live in the US?
And by the way, if you are not alarmed about climate change at this stage, you are in denial. That makes you a climate denier.
If you don't feel the way I think you should about climate change, you are obviously an NPC, and will at any moment begin chanting 'Orange Man Bad'
Jason wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 pm
I have the data from the NOAA FTP, which they've pulled now... I can send it to you if you like.
Post it here!
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:13 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am
Seabass wrote:

Either:
C. you are, as is so often the case, mindlessly parroting far-right disinformation.

My guess would be C.
As long as you only make a small amount of money, you don't have to pay much taxes. You only get the REALLY punishing tax rate if you are VERY successful.

Because I think it is, and I think if you are (like me) near poverty, it's tough to imagine this fact, but here goes...

Some people earn FAR above the lower tax-brackets. What would be the incentive for any of them to live in the US?
When I was in the top income bracket (49.5% at that time) I still paid the same amount on the first $16k as the person who earnt just that, the same amount on the next tier as the person who earnt just that, and so on. Having 49.5% of my earnings above 50k taken by the ATO did not bother me at all. The mileage of greedy pricks obviously differs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 am

Cunt wrote:
Jason wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 pm
I have the data from the NOAA FTP, which they've pulled now... I can send it to you if you like.
Post it here!
The whole dump is ~54GB but I can post the arctic stations if you like.
GHCND_Villum.xlsx
GHCND_Tiksi.xlsx
GHCND_Sodankyla.xlsx
GHCND_Barrow.xlsx
GHCND_Alert.xlsx

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:17 am

Here's the compiled meteorological data. They're in CSV format so I had to zip them to upload.
Compiled Historical Met Data.zip

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:27 am

Actually... I'm going to claim I was drunk or high when I looked at the data before... because I just looked at it again. Anywho.
Last edited by Jason on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 am

Hermit wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:13 am
Cunt wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Either:

My guess would be C.

When I was in the top income bracket (49.5% at that time) I still paid the same amount on the first $16k as the person who earnt just that, the same amount on the next tier as the person who earnt just that, and so on. Having 49.5% of my earnings above 50k taken by the ATO did not bother me at all. The mileage of greedy pricks obviously differs.
The thing is, no-one would want to earn large amounts of money, if everything beyond their first megabuck was taxed at 70%. It seems like it would encourage wealthy people to hire sharp tax accountants/lawyers and be proud of the fact that they pay as little as possible.

I would much prefer a system where huge earners will WANT to stay...will wish to participate.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 am

Cunt wrote:

The thing is, no-one would want to earn large amounts of money, if everything beyond their first megabuck was taxed at 70%. It seems like it would encourage wealthy people to hire sharp tax accountants/lawyers and be proud of the fact that they pay as little as possible.
Where the fuck did you get 70% from? 45 - 55 is the usual top rate...

And in any case, extreme wealth allows the ability to use tax lawyers and accountants that no regular Joe can afford, and they end up (via family trusts and tax shelters) paying sweet fuck all...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:59 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 am
Cunt wrote:The thing is, no-one would want to earn large amounts of money, if everything beyond their first megabuck was taxed at 70%. It seems like it would encourage wealthy people to hire sharp tax accountants/lawyers and be proud of the fact that they pay as little as possible.
Where the fuck did you get 70% from? 45 - 55 is the usual top rate...
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez floats 70% tax on wealthy to pay for 'Green New Deal'

Our member from Yellowknife conveniently forgets that the top marginal personal income tax rate between 1945 and 1964 was 90% and much of the time the Corporate tax rate was 50%. In that period the economy was doing fine, companies made good profits, the rich got richer and nobody fled to Monaco or other tax havens. Now the greedy pricks squeal that they cannot manage on anything higher than 40% personal income tax tops and 20% corporate tax. mister Yellowknife is pissing into the wind.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:01 am

This time they'll flee to Monaco or Ireland. Just you wait.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.