The Thread of Democrats

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: The Thread of Democrats

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 am

Beto O'Rourke for president! Win win! No nasty woman, no Pocahontas!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am

Beto. What kind of name is that? Can't your politicians have normal names?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 am

Good point. Beto is an abnormal name. But he's white and a male - that's big in Texas!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:55 am

pffftt, even if his family name is O'Rourke, I bet he has more brown blood than Irish.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:08 am

Is it "Bet-o" or "Beet-o"?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:15 am

Are there any Democrats who are flag-waving patriots and constitutionalists (pro 2a and pro 1a especially)?

Why is it that it seems (from out here) that being a US patriot or constitutional stickler suggests Republican?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:19 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:51 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Well I'd have to see the actual reality of the proposal, but I think it's safe to say you waste way more money on military spending than you do on tourism spending. If you aren't willing to cut your defence budget back to sane levels, then you are going to need higher taxes address your staggering deficit and debt. Two things which are going to eventually smash your economy far more than tax increases.
Florida's military budget is probably quite miniscule. Billion bucks tops for the cops, I'd say.
I'm talking about as a nation, which Florida, like all states, will have to play their part.
Laklak wasn't. :razzle:
It doesn't matter. The principle is still the same. If you want balanced budgets and the services people expect, then you'll have to raise taxes. Continually cutting taxes in a race to the bottom is suicide.
Don't get excited. I agree with the principle. Just pointing out that military spending is not a factor in Florida's case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:34 am

Zombie eradication funding, however...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:45 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:15 am
Apparently we (us leftist scum) are all secret apelusters here...
Not at all. A couple of you act just like them, though. Something to bear in mind.
WTF? Did you even frequent A+? We all got banned within a day. Other than Mai and Mr Samsa (who was banned) no one here is anything like A+. To say they are is just ridiculous. :fp:
Just because "you all" got banned within a day doesn't mean a couple of you don't act just like them. The tactics are quite similar. Most here aren't. I said a couple are.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am

Egregious gerrymandering - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... errymander
A three-judge panel on Wednesday decided in favor of challengers who complained that the state’s sixth-district lines were moved in 2011 to change the area from Republican to Democratic. The panel called the gerrymander unconstitutional and ordered the state to redraw its map for use in the 2020 congressional elections.
“the single greatest alteration of voter makeup in any district in the nation following the 2010 census,”
For a sense of the extent of the Democrat-drawn gerrymander, consider this: In 2016, Republican candidates won 37 percent of the statewide two-party vote for U.S. House seats. But because of the way Democrats drew district boundaries after the 2010 Census, that translated to just one of the state's eight House seats.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 9908e06f8b
The districts are among the least geographically compact in the nation, which is often a telltale sign that partisan shenanigans are afoot.
The plaintiffs in the case, Benisek v. Lamone, allege that when Democrats created this district after the 2010 Census, their intent was to literally draw Republican incumbent Roscoe Bartlett off the map, creating another safe Democratic seat. The shape of the map suggests Democrats did this by creating an appendage in the southeast section of the district that captures a large chunk of Democratic voters in Frederick and an even larger number of Democrats in the northwest Washington suburbs.
As it turns out, most of the state's districts appear to have been drawn with the same general strategy in mind: to use liberal voters from the Washington metro area to offset conservative strength elsewhere.
The 8th District contains much of the red country around Frederick that you might naturally assume would fit in more with the western part of the state. Instead, it shoots a narrow tentacle — no wider than a couple thousand feet at one point — down into liberal Montgomery County to capture the Democratic strongholds of the northern Washington suburbs.
The 4th district plays a similar trick, pairing Washington's eastern suburbs with red country outside Annapolis. It's held together at one point by the width of an aquatics center and the Potomac Curling Club. Ditto for the 5th District, which offsets much of Republican-leaning Southern Maryland with Democratic voters around Washington.

No account of Maryland's congressional districts would be complete without a stop in the 3rd District, which, following the redrawing of North Carolina's districts in 2016, now holds the dubious title of least compact district in the nation.
It's been called a “crazy quilt.” A “blood spatter from a crime scene.” A “broken-winged pterodactyl, lying prostrate across the center of the state.” At one point, the district is contiguous only by virtue of a swim across a tendril of the Chesapeake Bay. At another, it narrows down to the width of a block and a half in northeast Baltimore.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 9908e06f8b
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:05 am

it’s amusing to see Democrats, all the way up to former President Barack Obama, expressing outrage about gerrymandering. Republicans are merely doing what Democrats did for many decades, until the GOP figured out how to turn the tables.

California is virtually a case study in the politics of gerrymandering.

When they controlled all the levers in 1981 during Jerry Brown’s first governorship, Democrats gleefully grabbed every legislative and congressional district they could.

The late Congressman Phil Burton drew congressional maps so partisan and convoluted that he described them as “my contribution to modern art.”

After the 1970 and 1990 censuses, Republican Govs. Ronald Reagan and Pete Wilson refused to sign the Democrats’ gerrymanders and threw the issue to the state Supreme Court, which drew the maps itself.

Democrats once again controlled the Legislature and the governorship after the 2000 census. But Republicans cleverly threatened intervention by the U.S. Justice Department, forcing Democrats to accede to a bipartisan gerrymander that protected the status quo.

Those maps, however, were as outrageously distorted as any other gerrymander. That sparked a drive, financed by wealthy Stanford University scientist Charles Munger, Jr., and backed by Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was then governor, to remove redistricting from the Legislature and give it instead to an independent commission.

Voters agreed, passing Proposition 11 in 2008 to shift legislative redistricting to a commission, followed by Proposition 20 in 2010 to extend its authority to congressional seats.

Tellingly, Democratic leaders such as Barbara Boxer, then a U.S. senator, and Democratic congressional leader Nancy Pelosi opposed Proposition 11 in 2008. Other Democrats sponsored a rival measure, Proposition 27, in 2010 that would have repealed the independent commission altogether.

Proposition 27 failed, and the commission did its work after the 2010 census. Its maps may not be perfect, and Republicans didn’t like their effect, but they are paragons of fairness compared to past gerrymanders.

Democrats, having been burned by the Republican drive to take over legislatures and Congress, are now enamored of having independent commissions draw districts.

As the worm turns.
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/californ ... 81401.html

Ahhhh...the Democrats... so kind... they just want everyone to vote! They're not like the evil Republicans. The Democrats are innocent bystanders at worst. Normally, they are paragons of virtue, championing the downtrodden, so that every (Democrat) vote is counted...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:15 am

Image https://www.myajc.com/news/local/could- ... jRYY9o0EM/

The hard left is always so angry, and uses emotion to great effect in our modern politics.

And shame — through social and mainstream media voices — is the left’s whip, keeping Americans in line.
Most Americans understand the penalty for thought crimes on issues ranging from traditional marriage to affirmative action to American citizenship. Say the wrong thing, write the wrong thing, even think the wrong thing, or tweet the wrong thing — in referencing positions that were mainstream only a few years ago — and you’ll be publicly shamed in media. And you’ll be shunned as a homophobe or a racist or ultra-nationalist and mocked and probably lose your job.

The left will see to that. And most Americans understand this.
But if you’re of the left, and happen to be a Democratic Party politician, you can get away with making excuses for notorious anti-Semite and Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

And when those excuses are made, the left is largely silent.

Farrakhan’s hate and the left’s silence are nothing new. It is part of Chicago’s political landscape, an unspoken contract, and Chicago has become quite used to it. Under this arrangement, in Washington, Chicago and just about every big city, African-American politicians can cozy up to Farrakhan, and his hateful eruptions are allowed to pass beneath our notice, like a stone tossed in the Chicago River.

And if it weren’t for The Daily Caller and CNN’s Jake Tapper, we wouldn’t have known about a particularly ugly Farrakhan eruption the other day at his Saviours’ Day 2018 address.

We also wouldn’t have known about the tortured logic that some, like U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, the Chicago Democrat, use to explain their relationship with Farrakhan.

“White folks are going down. And Satan is going down. And Farrakhan, by God's grace, has pulled the cover off of that Satanic Jew and I'm here to say your time is up, your world is through," Farrakhan said in his speech.

He said other things too, but I’m not going to spread his hate here. What interests me is the silence of the left.

My barber Raffaele Raia understands this kind of silence.

“Chi tace acconsente," says Mr. Raia. “He who is silent says yes. The silence is the consent."

Of course it is.

And when it comes to Farrakhan, the left is silent. They’d rather be silent than risk being denounced by him.

The other day, The Daily Caller — a conservative news and opinion site — capitalized on the silence, and on the acquiescence of Davis, who was quoted as saying Farrakhan’s views aren’t a big deal.

The Daily Caller has called out others on their relationship with Farrakhan, from U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters of California to Democratic Party Vice Chairman Keith Ellison. And so far, from them and others on the left, you hear crickets.

“I’m a pretty global individual. So I know Farrakhan, I know the Middle East question, I know the Jews and Farrakhan — I know all that, but that’s not what I spend all my time focused on,” Davis was quoted as saying by the Daily Caller. “I know Farrakhan, been knowing him for years and years and years and years and years, and every once in a while some writer or somebody will I guess try to think of something to say about Farrakhan, but nah, my world is so much bigger than any of that. I don’t have time for that. I deal with it, you know, when it comes but nah, that’s not a real part of my focus.

“That’s just one segment of what goes on in our world. The world is so much bigger than Farrakhan and the Jewish question and his position on that and so forth. For those heavy into it, that’s their thing, but it ain’t my thing,” he said.

Later, Davis issued a statement condemning The Daily Caller, saying the “ultra-right propaganda site” attempted to impugn his character and “divide and separate African Americans and Jewish Americans, by portraying me as sympathetic to anti-Semitic views. ...

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” Davis said in his statement, adding that he has spent his life condemning all forms of hatred and bigotry.

It was an impressive denunciation. So I called Davis’ office and spoke to Ira Cohen, Davis’ director of issues and communications.

I asked about something I didn’t see in Davis’ statement denouncing hate:

The name of Louis Farrakhan.

There was silence. I thought he didn’t hear me. So I asked again.

Did you hear what I said about Farrakhan not being mentioned in the statement?

“I heard what you said, yes,” Cohen said.

He said he’d get back to me if Davis had anything to add. I’m not holding my breath.

Republicans quickly condemn David Duke and other haters of the hard white right. When President Donald Trump equivocated about haters on the march in Charlottesville, Va., I called him out on it, as did many conservatives.

But few, if any Democratic voices are being raised against Farrakhan. The Congressional Black Caucus certainly won’t condemn him. And white Democrats aren’t demanding condemnation either. They don’t want to risk losing votes.

“It is so sad that if white people disapprove of somebody, we follow suit and disapprove,” Farrakhan said in his Saviours’ Day speech. “It’s so cowardly.”

But they’re not saying much. They’re not saying much at all.

This silence is dangerous. And it incites and gives hateful license to some on the hard right, provoking equally hateful views.

What we’re witnessing is the Balkanizing of the United States. And the left’s silence about Louis Farrakhan is the canary in the coal mine.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:13 pm

You conservatives are shameless. You manage to make everything about you and in the most bizarre way. Giving gays the right to marry, becomes all about you losing the safe space to say shitty things about gays. You're not victims snowflake.
Last edited by Sean Hayden on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 pm

You're letting yourself be trolled.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Maybe, but the arguments are real enough. It's like a template exists for bad arguments in support of terrible inequalities. You can literally swap gay marriage for say, slavery, and you would be reading arguments from the lead up to the Civil War in support of slavery.

No matter how bad the slaves lives were, ending the practice made bigger victims of the whites in the South, even though most of them didn't even own slaves.